Basil

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by ho-hum, Feb 19, 2007.

1. ho-hum

ho-hum New Member

I have always grown basil, always had some on hand. It is a remarkably easy plant to grow. Well now I know it also grows well from cuttings.

Recently my few basil plants were attacked by a lawn mower so I grabbed 3 bits that sorta looked like cuttings, put them in a pot and all are going well. In fact they dont look like they have been set back at all. I selected bits with woody ends to them.

This would be handy for anyone selling at a market or using plants as gifts as this is far quicker than starting from seed. I think the last time I bought basil seed was over 20 years ago.

I grow basil for 2 reasons, firstly it is a great herb and useful in a number of cooking applications as well as a great face rinse or additive to soap.
    It is also the number one native bee plant I have ever found. I live in the tropics and basil will flower all year round so I always keep a few plants for the little native bees.

If you are interested in native bees then plant a few in a sunny spot. I pick the dried seed heads and either spread them round or put them on the dogs bed. I suspect they help in flea control but have no evidence of this. Generally though our dogs dont suffer fleas. By continually picking the seed heads/pruning the plants you will have continual growth.

Basil is super hardy and very tolerant of poor soils, poor gardeners and drought... :D

Anyone else got a favourite herb?

floot

2. Susan

Susan Junior Member

Basil

Hi Floot,
    Which sort of Basil?
    I have had very little luck with Thai basil here in the Blue Mountains and even Greek/perennial basil needs to be sheltered over winter.
    Cuttings sound a good idea to make sure I have a least one plant that survives the frost.
    Sue

3. hedwig

hedwig Junior Member

I think thai basil is quite tropical, it grows very well here in Brisbane. But I never tried to grow basil from cuttings, which would be perhaps an interestin thing whith the thai basil. Cutting in water or mix?

4. ho-hum

ho-hum New Member

Hedwig,

I just planted them into a couple of old pots that had pottingmix and soil in them.... didnt try water this time, the bits I saved were a bit short to put in water... :D

floot

5. ho-hum

ho-hum New Member

Hiya Sue,

Sorry I didnt see your post before.

I think it is normal 'bush basil'...
    In your cold climate you could probably take cuttings at end of summer and bring them inside or stash a pot full in your hothouse. You could even try burying the woody cuttings in sand till spring - might work.

Until just now I hadnt ever heard of any other type of basil except a purple one... :D

https://images.google.com.au/images...4,GGLD:en&q='bush basil'&oe=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wi

The greek one looks good.

cheers

floot

6. seussrules

seussrules Junior Member

I've always had much greater success growing basil from cuttings rather than seed. My mum, who owned a herb nursery for 20 years, taught me to cut a piece off, clean up the woody end slightly, and just stick it in the ground or some decent potting mix. Has worked every time in Melbourne, and I usually have lots of healthy basil through until May (which is pretty good for down here).

7. Susan

Susan Junior Member

Basil

Hi Floot,
    The plant/shrub I grow is Ocicmum basilicum.
    Yes as I said a bushy shrub, smaller leaves than your average Basil but same flavour (or so I thinK).
    Interesting what different climates and micro climates make the same vague flavours and hence diversity.
    I love it
    Sue

8. Jez

Jez Junior Member

My favourite herb ATM is Winter Tarragon (Targetes ludida)...but I'm a bit of an anise lover. It's delicious to help spice up a very mild flavoured vegetable like cabbage or choko.

The Greek Basil is a must for anyone with a small growing area and a favourable climate IMO...like Greek Oregano it just packs so much flavour for a relatively small growing area and both respond well to frequent picking.

I also grow a very large basil variety called Perennial Sweet Basil (Ocimum obovatum) which is a terrific bee attractor (same deal Floot, year round flowers) and is very bullet proof.

Last year I grew some Genovese Basil (Ocimum basilicum) which is delicious in a pesto or raw fresh, and some Lime Basil (Ocimum americanum) which is great too, but ran out of space to replant them this year with other perennial varieties going more than well enough to have way too much basil...I often use Ocimum obovatum as a pathway mulch when I've given too much away for everyone to handle...it's very vigorous!