Wanted - contacts/advice for Fremantle

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by Freo novice, Mar 25, 2005.

1. Freo novice

Freo novice Guest

Hi

I have just bought a place in Fremantle which has a large (for Freo) backyard - 7.5m wide by 25 long. There is nothing in the sloping garden besides dead weeds and some brick paving. So I want to set it up from scratch and am interested in where to go for ideas, information, materials, designs etc to create something sustainable and sensible for our climate and lack of water etc...

Anyone out there that can set me on the right path?

thanks

2. Chook Nut

Chook Nut Junior Member

Welcome to the forum Freo,

Check out your local library for some Permaculture books and videos!.... they have visuals, drawings, demonstrations and guides etc....

Pretty hard to give you advice on where to start unless you know what u want to grow/achieve etc...

Good luck... Dave

3. Freo novice

Freo novice Guest

thanks for your reply Dave

have had a bit of a look for books and it seems there are a few. Any favourites? nothing too complicated preferably!

Guess you are in the wrong part of the country to know who does this sort of work around here?

really i want to set up a garden with a few vegies etc and local natives that doesnt need much water. have got a few ideas but open to more ideas...

4. alfamick

alfamick Junior Member

Freo,

You've definitely got different conditions to what Dave and I have over here in SE QLD. The sandy soil and dry summers in the west mean you need to try a few interesting techniques. I've never gardened over there, but I own a place down at Waikiki and know a fair bit about the conditions.

Gardening Australia (the ABC TV program) has had a fair bit over the last year or so on permaculture in Perth, so I'd suggest finding a library that has the Gardening Australia magazines or buying some back issues or whatever.

Also their website https://www.abc.net.au/gardening - look up all the factsheets by Joshua Byrne; he is the guy doing the PErth permaculture thing.

Cheers,

Mick

5. Chook Nut

Chook Nut Junior Member

Book recommendations are pretty hard to give if you dont know the person and exactly what they are after... thats why you may just want to look at your library or check out some videos... (i still have alfamicks 'Global Gardener' :shock: )

Might be best checking out some Permie gardens and getting some ideas of what u want to do perhaps?! I think Josh Byrne used to(maybe still does) the city garden there. Have heard its pretty good....

There are some ppl on this forum from WA that should be able to point u in the right direction also...

Cheers... Dave

6. Freo novice

Freo novice Guest

hi Dave and Mick

Thanks for your responses. Have followed up on the Josh Byrne thing - tried writing him an email via Gardening Australia website but the response was that he can't give recomendations.

Have had a look at the permaculture fact sheets and they look helpful. Gardening Australia said to ask local garden centres for recomendations so will do this too.

Will also head to library soon and check it out.

Some garden locations to check out would be great if anyone knows of any??

thanks

Sabina