Lentils???

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by waynemus, Jan 25, 2007.

1. waynemus

waynemus Junior Member

Recently my friend and I were talking as to what we could be putting in our gardens. I explained about my dillemma about using a whole bed dedicated to legumes. He said I could put in Lentils with them, as his family eats a lot of them.

Could anyone give me any information about what different types of lentils there are? Also, how you grow them? and, any care considerations?

2. ho-hum

ho-hum New Member

Waynemus,

Great idea.

One of the issues with lentils is description and the seed of which 'pea' plant is which and is worth researching. In the tropics I have grown pigeon pea [which is a big shrub] and mung beans both of which I have seen described as 'lentils'. Normal green peas are often dried and split and called 'lentils' too at times.

I think the one your friend is referring to is the meditteranean type [which probably got there from Asia via Marco Polo but who knows]. The only problem I see is sourcing viable seed, I have never seen it for sale anywhere.

The upside to growing any of the pea/bean family is that they are very hard to waste unlike say some of the brassicas and melons. It is not hard to overproduce silverbeet... :D

Peas/beans dry well and store wonderfully and are mostly easy to grow.

I did a search on the etymology of the word lentil to see if that helped and found this link. It's very general but will give you some ideas.

https://www.theworldwidegourmet.com/?action=ingredient_show&id=379&lg=en

floot

3. ho-hum

ho-hum New Member

Wayne,

Interestingly, there was a Landline segment on lentils [amongst others] being grown in the Mallee. They mentioned red & yellow ones so they are definitely growable by you and they will have viable seed. The plant looked like a small leaf pea bush.

The segment was called the Birchip Growers Group [something like that] and they will probably have the segment available at the ABC website.

cheers

floot

PS, If you find some seed can I have some? Happy to pay for them..

4. waynemus

waynemus Junior Member

Thanks Floot, that certainly furthered me along my search.

The story in question can be found at https://www.abc.net.au/landline/stories/s99108.htm

I searched Yahoo for growing lentils in Australia. Brought up a treasure trove of things. One site which may be of interest is https://www.organicsaustraliaonline.com.au/category181_1.htm You can buy organic Green Lentil seeds for $2.75.

My Sri Lankan friend mentioned he might get some seeds sent over from Sri Lanka. Not sure if it will get past customs though. If they do, I'm sure to let you know Floot, and send you some up.

Keep you posted. Thought I'd do a quick post, then report back later on my investigation of some other seed websites.

Thanks,
    Wayne

5. waynemus

waynemus Junior Member

Floot,

Another site which you may be interested as far as Lentil seeds is https://www.sprout.net.au/prd_sprouting_seeds.htm

It appears that both only provide one type of seed. I have found this site https://www.victoryseeds.com/catalog/vegetable/lentils/. I have made an enquiry with Customs about the restrictions, and relevant protocol that needs to be satisfied to import the seeds for personal use. They replied in 20 minutes at 8:00pm in the evening. They are certainly commited to the job. They guided me to enquire with the Australian Quarantine and Inpection Service. I sent the AQIS an email this evening. Will keep you posted.

Hopefully the information I get about importing from the United States will help my friend out with importing from Sri Lanka.

If I get any type of lentil than the green variety I will let you know.

6. wongankatta

wongankatta Junior Member

G'day Waynemus,

There is a stall in the South Melbourne markets which has Puy lentils - a french variety which many consider the best tasting lentil. Also on the south side of the markets is an organic shop which may have different types of lentils. (there is also a potato shop at the markets which has heaps of different varieties)

Indian food stores also might be worth a try - there is a brown skinned red fleshed one (whole masoor dahl) which I get from an Indian shop in Perth.

https://www.foodsubs.com/Lentils.html

Regards - Andrew

(i was about to send you a phone number for cheap straw till I realised you were in Bayswater, Melbourne not Bayswater , Perth - delivery from WA might be a bit expensive! :D )

7. digging

digging Junior Member

Hello,

I don't think this is a lentil, however I want to try and grow adzuki beans, they are said to be 25% protein and all most all the amino acids including lysine. They are also said to be easier to digest than most beans. You can find them listed under seeds for 'sprouts'.

Digging

8. Jez

Jez Junior Member

G'day digging,

Welcome to the forum.

I love beans and have grown a wide variety...the only variety I've ever grown which I didn't like to some degree was adzuki!

They might be more palatable as sprouts... :wink:

9. chookiepoo

chookiepoo Junior Member

lentils

Hi Wayne and floot,

If you want to grow lentils, just go to the supermarket or your local nut shop and buy a couple of packets (designed for cooking). I've successfully sprouted lentils to eat, so I'm sure they'll grow in soil.

Cheers,
    Ksenia