Location, location...

Discussion in 'General chat' started by Mrs Parker-Bowles, Jan 22, 2007.

1. Mrs Parker-Bowles

Mrs Parker-Bowles Junior Member

Hi all,

To date over half of the 1749 forum members do not have a location listed under their usernames. Is there a reason for this? It’s not like we’re being asked to disclose our private addresses.

The way I see it we are all part of a big community, here to help one and other out.
    Surely it would be useful to know that there are like minded people in your area? Perhaps there are people that you can connect with and make your area more permaculturally aware.

Do you have your location displayed?
    Is there a particular reason why you have chosen not to display it?
    Have you ever wondered if there are fellow permies in your area that you didn’t know existed? I know I have.

2. FREE Permaculture

FREE Permaculture Junior Member

well you can't anymore, profiles is up the duff.
    can't do avatars anymore either.

outer nth of melbourne? that's about the whole world isn't it? :lol:
    i went on holidays outer nth of melbourne last year, queensland.

3. murray

murray Junior Member

i'll see what i can do about the profiles. they were mangled because of the spammers putting in URLs of their disgusting sites.

4. Mrs Parker-Bowles

Argh.... I been scaffed by me own post!!!

Well it is a hot holiday destination here nth of Melbourne =) Haha...

Generally people don't know Crazyburn is so I always end up saying it's Nth just as you leave Melbourne. Although thanks to those wonderful developers (one word ...[insert thumbs down & raspberry here]) people are starting to recognise the name.

5. FREE Permaculture

i was guessing seymour, but yeah crazyburn is pretty much outer nth of melbourne :)
    yeah how's all that going? caroline stringless beans, which was nice farmland with 10,000 cows now has about 10,000 new homes :(
    one word.. pee off :lol:

6. murray

murray Junior Member

ok - all profile fields are back guys and girls. ... :-D

7. club42

club42 Junior Member

I actually asked this question in a post yesterday Jodi, but no-one replied. I thought maybe I just wasn't cool enough. :cry:

Anyway, thanks Murray. I think it's a useful little piece of info. :)

8. Mrs Parker-Bowles

Thanks Murray.

Crazyburn - It’s terrible. It used to be a pretty nice place to live.

They absolutely slaughtered Mount Ridley and they’re building houses so close together that you can’t even get a standard wheelbarrow down the side. You can’t even swing a cat in the back yard. It’s barney bananas.

The population here has exploded in the last 8-10 years (was under 14,000 then). The goal is for the population to grow to 45,000 by 2011, just 4 years from now. We’re concentrating our efforts on getting the hell out of here.

I know that it's happening all over not just in our town. It's a sad state of afairs.

9. beherit

beherit Junior Member

you drink Coopers - the only Aussie beer to have the nod of approval from Gambrinus himself, of course you're cool (hail the ale!!!)

anyway, paul here, previously one of the 1749 anonymous members, finally ready to disclose that I'm also from the outskirts of melbourne, craigieburn in fact (small world hey jodi!?)

right now my life is all about compost - as of on Sunday an 18 day challenge has been set by my better half, each of us building a cubic metre pile & competing to see who has the better load come Feb.10

10. Mrs Parker-Bowles

Wow, a compost challenge? That sounds exciting. And you’re so close.

We should catch up for a couple of pale ales.
    I’ve just baked a lovely coconut, lime and macadamia cake too! What do you think?

See folks a little information can go a long way.
    :wink:

11. Richard on Maui

Richard on Maui Junior Member

Beherit, that is the best thing I've heard all day. Imagine if humanity as a whole followed your example, and instead of competing for things like military supremacy, acess to resources and markets, they got their priorities sorted out, and channelled their competitive spirit into making better compost? :shock: :D
    Then again, imagine if the pair of you worked together? There is much strength in diversity! :wink:
    Hey, why don't you start a new thread and let us know how they progress and turn out? Let your pitchforks fly!

12. FREE Permaculture

yeah that's a great challenge!

13. MonteGoulding

MonteGoulding Junior Member

Did you see my website idea about this:
    https://forums.permaculture.org.au/ftopic3889.php

I dropped it because there wasn't alot of interest.

I still think it would be great if it was easier to connect with people close by. Maybe permaculture needs a cell group type structure. With cell groups you have a minimum group size and a maximum group size and when you reach the max you split the group. If splitting were done on the basis of how close people live to each other then it would enable organic growth and progressive relocalisation.

Cheers

Monte

14. FREE Permaculture

Yeah Monte, might be a good thing.

15. MonteGoulding

Well, with google maps/earth it would be fairly easy to do it web based. It's a matter of working out what's needed and making sure people don't think their privacy is being threatened.

16. FREE Permaculture

oh well, was an intersting thought anyways.
    guess if no one is really interested then it probably won't work with just a few hey?
    all in or nothing as they say.

[​IMG]

17. MonteGoulding

Yep, probably the only practical thing is to just work on your neighbours. I lent the GA DVD to one of ours and they were quite impressed with how permaculture ties everything together. It would be great to have a DVD that tied all the issues together (peak oil, global warming, food security, alternative energy, water security, relocalisation) and explained how to transform suburbia that we could freely distribute to those around us.

18. beherit

beherit Junior Member

I think a cell group structure is a great idea but it needn't be so refined to start off with, perhaps a new forum could be added to the index and in it a thread for each Australian state (and if the international tribes wanna get on board then perhaps threads specific to their region also)

Threads could then be used to deliver information which is a little more relevant to each locale. Given the varied climates throughout the country such discussions as "now planting" & sow-what-when reminders (for example) could really be beneficial.

Keeping the cells larger would allow for those who wanted to retain some anonimity to do so but also provide indicators of whose nearby should they want to establish a tighter network of local Permies.

I'm interested, also Monte, FREE•P seems interested & I'm positive that this kind of this is Jodi's bag too so there's 4 for starters - any advance on 4, do i hear 5, 4, 4, going once, twice........

19. FREE Permaculture

20. MonteGoulding

ok... created a map and added it to my blog for now. feel free to ad yourselves ;-)