compost (hay)

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by foo, Dec 27, 2006.

1. foo

foo Junior Member

hi i'm trying to make a compost heap but am unsure where to find good hay stacks, the nursery i went to sells bags of lucern for 20 but someone told me hay stacks can be used where would i find hay stacks in sydney

2. Susan

Susan Junior Member

Hay stacks in Sydney ???

Hi Foo
    Do you want hay or lucern; lucern has higher nitrogen content with less to no seeds and great if you have the money; hay is really the stalks of wheat type varieties and it includes seed heads (which in turn germinate into wheat ie weeds)
    I guess it depend how far you want to travel from Sydney central.
    Never seen hay stacks myself and I live on the outer limits looking in. Still hay is obtainable, pet shops usually too expensive.
    Produce stores also $$$ Occassionally some have rain damages supplies at reduced rates. and if you want it for the garden not animal feed, usually worth looking for.
    Wouldn't it be nice to do the full permaculture thing and supply all your needs from your own property.
    Speaking from myself I can only try and dream of other alternative solutions

Greenly Sue

3. foo

foo Junior Member

ok thanks i'm going to try find some farms in the yellow pages, see how i go, i don't mind traveling abit if its worth the while i'll make the journey not the destination exciting..... thanksss

4. Richard on Maui

Richard on Maui Junior Member

Grass clippings are a good ingredient for compost and you can usually get lawn mowing businesses to drop them off for free in large amounts.

5. Plumtree

Plumtree Junior Member

Bad time to be looking for hay because of the drought. It is fed to sheep and will sell for about AUD15.00....plus! To me hay and lucerne is the same thing. Also known as alphalpha. When you shop for a product to use in your compost look for 'straw' which is cheaper usually. However, it is too costly for a single use in the compost bin. If you need it for chooks and/or rabbits it makes sense. You can buy bags of 'compost' at Bunnings or most hardware stores for about AUD6 to 7.00.

6. Richard on Maui

Richard on Maui Junior Member

Again, if you want animal bedding, try a cabinet maker who will love you if you regularly collect his/her wood shavings and sawdust and save them the hassle of dumping it. Added bonus of keeping out of the landfill.

7. han_ysic

han_ysic Junior Member

Hey Foo,

I live in Kellyville and saw a farm with those big round rolls of hay for sale out the front. the farm was on Burns Rd which is between Windsor and old Windsor Rd. Don't know any more details, but it would be something to follow up if you were interested. Where abouts in Sydney are you?

Hannah