"all at once" syndrome

Discussion in 'Designing, building, making and powering your life' started by makehumusnotwar, Jan 31, 2005.

1. makehumusnotwar

makehumusnotwar Junior Member

does anyone know how long it takes for one to realise that a comprehensive, efficient and sustaining permaculture system is impossible to construct "overnight." have you - when graced with a new un-perma'd block of land - tried to create and complete each zone simultaneously?

i'm beginning to understand and appreciate why many people have a vegie "patch." not, a vegie "3 or 4 acres." after being locked up in rental apartments and such for years with concrete gardens, then suddenly gaining access to 10 acres of mostly viable land, i was like a suburban backyard dog being let out on an open beach - feeling the need to bolt in every direction at once.
    patience is the key (so i've heard) - one small step at a time....... yet i still seem to have 10 or 15 half-started projects running at once. and in my first sub-tropic summer, where you can almost hear everything growing about 3ft p/day, it's even harder to actually finish anything.
    when i first learned of permaculture, i mistakenly assumed that as you're essentially trying to work with nature - nature does a great deal of the work. well, eventually it does, just maybe not so much at the outset.

one day i'll learn. the delusion's beginning to subside. but don't get me wrong - i'm still absolutely lovin every minute of it.

2. Snake

Snake Junior Member

Patience....

G'day Humus,

Although I have exactly the opposite problem in that we have our 'patch' but we don't live there yet, I understand your sentiments completely! As a relative newcomer to permaculture and a father of three rapidly growing offspring, I am keen to establish the permaculture paradise of healthy living with minimal ecological and environmental impact, and I want it done yesterday - but things just don't happen overnight. We are 750km from our bit of land and try to get there every three months or so, so I spend a lot of time pondering the 'cunning plan' and champing at the bit, but our visits are altogether too short to achieve much. That said, your remark about emulating nature is very valid, it's just that we have to understand the speed at which nature works! Even here in Meeka where my garden soil is absolute rubbish, it has taken over a year to get some decent compost produced and start building up the soil - I guess the lesson is to be patient! :)

The other possible concern is AAADD - Age Acquired Attention Deficit Disorder - from which I apparently suffer; you start each day with a job to do, but halfway through get sidetracked by another, from which you get sidetracked by a third, and so on until at the end of the day you have started a dozen things and not finished any of them!! :roll:

I think you have hit upon the key though - the passion to keep at it despite the time it takes to get stuff finished, the failures and the extraneous distractions. After all, it is ultimately a very valuable, worthwhile and satisfying outcome - a great incentive! :lol:

Cheers,

Mark

3. derekh

derekh Junior Member

Overwhelmed, deluded, crazy. After 18 months, the start small concept is starting to sink in.

I have 300 acres in a low rainfall area and low fertile soil ! I get some relief thinking that mediteranean climates are similarly hot and dry - if they can do it so can I.

I look around at all the jobs I could do and wonder where to start.

I have started with a small tank garden and drip irrigation using wet pots.

Next, I'll fence off an area and start an orchard with a gravity drip feed from the dam.

Then control erosion, de-silt the dam, fix fences, thin trees, plant trees, clear rubbish, build a cob oven, cob/strawbale house and so on ...

I live in Brisbane and my property is 500 km away, so I need to plan in advance what I need to bring to complete the planned task and sometimes it takes several trips to bring everything on site.

Why did I buy it when it is not an ideal permie site ? It is close to my home town and eventually I would like to retire there - my wife reckons hell will freeze over before she moves there - so I do have a few years to get things established.

Hang in there knowing there are others who share your grief.

cheers
    Derek

4. Richard on Maui

Richard on Maui Junior Member

"islands of quality"

"islands of quality" was the phrase I remember Geoff Lawton using when talking about this phenomena. That you are much better off to concentrate your available energy in a small area that can then self replicate than you are to spread yourself too thin all over the place. Of course, it is easier to say than do, when you are confronted with so many seemingly equally important priorities.
    There's also a time line thing to factor too. For example, you are better off working on getting your water storages organized before you plant your gardens and orchards and build your animal systems, rather than doing it in reverse and running out of water at the first dry spell...

5. derekh

derekh Junior Member

I certainly agree that I need to get water storage issues addressed before committing too much effort to the orchard. I had planned to have it done back in October but no contractors were available - then the rain came.

The first orchard tasks are to clear trees, fence off the area and prepare mulch - time consuming jobs that will take me through to the dry season (winter) so I can get the earthworks done before trees go in.

I like the "islands of quality" term - thinking along those lines could help me with organising and prioritorising.

cheers

6. mossbackfarm

mossbackfarm Junior Member

The 'Islands of Quality' technique is one I wish I learned 3 years ago when I was spreading my efforts far too thinly on our place. After that first year, when basically everything died, I started focusing on several 'development loci' (locuses???). These spots naturally had more water, more imported organic matter, and then drought tolerant, N-fixing plants to start colonizing and improving the area. As time, funds, and motivation hold out, more of these loci get established, and the early ones can be planted to later-succession species. Ideally, as the loci grow, they will merge together. Hopefully, we won't all be dead by then.

Our biggest limiting factor on the farm is summer water, so my 2 roof tanks were an early must-have, but we still need more. Upgrading the well, sealing the old pond, and building the new one are on the list. See above re time funds & motivation.

All that to say, you're not alone in wanting it all, preferably 10 years ago. While we try to work with nature in our work, she's a helluva lot more patient than most of us.....

Cheers

Rich

7. Chook Nut

Chook Nut Junior Member

Seems like i'm not alone either! :?

I only have 2.7acres and still find that a struggle... it took my wife to remind me of what i have done in the first year here to see that it can work.

Dissapointments were the loss of trees to severe frost, hares nipping most of my establishing Acacias, hail storms stripping my fruit trees of their harvest and decimating most of my vegies. Geese that won't stay in the area i want them too and "manuring" my carport daily!, being complacent in fencing off my chook pens completely from foxes.

Positives are less that 3mths of harvesting hopefully 270kgs dress weight of prime beef, lots of animal manures for my fruit trees. Having found work locally with a boss who's dedicated to the environment and uses permaculture,(and giving up a 3hr round trip to Brissie!). Cutting down the areas i have to mow.

I also need to remind myself that my health is not the best and Summer is a struggle for me, and the most work is required of me. This means that i feel as though i can achieve more in Winter when the weather is milder.

With a baby on the way soon; my job list just got that much longer... so even when u think your getting there, there is always something else.... oh boy!... but like ppl have said u wouldnt swap it for anything.

I agree that there are large labour inputs required early on and if there is anything i would want to change is putting more funds into equipment and help to get some of these initial jobs done.

Cheers... Dave