what to do with brazil cherries?

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by hedwig, Nov 16, 2006.

1. hedwig

hedwig Junior Member

We're renting and I can't take all these brazil cherries out of the garden. Their taste is too weird to eat them from the bush. Does anyone has recipies how to use these strange cherries? ARe they healthy - they taste somewhat medicinal?

2. gardenlen

gardenlen Group for banned users

g'day hedwig,

the sweet tasting variety are very nice tucker, but as for the run of the mill tarty models i have seen mention of various recipes from jams and other cooking exploits to making a liquer(spelling?) with them.

maybe a google on bushfood recipes may help or more specific recipes for that fruit.

len

3. Richard on Maui

Richard on Maui Junior Member

Ripeness is everything. Even the tartest brazilian cherry gets sweet when it is fully ripe. In my experience, anyway...

4. hedwig

hedwig Junior Member

if they fall on the ground they should be ripe but bähh they taste medicinal. In a liqueur that sound nice. Jams? you have to put the seeds out (I remember when I was a child when we made cherry jam)

5. Richard on Maui

Richard on Maui Junior Member

Hmmm. Well, I don't know, are they getting enough compost and water? Might improve things. Perhaps I just like them more than other people! :lol:

6. hedwig

hedwig Junior Member

no, I need the compost for the veggies and the water as well (restriction level 4). And I have got a notion that even the birds and the possumd don't like them (nor the bats)

7. Veggie Boy

Veggie Boy Junior Member

I'm trying to kill the ones I have here - very hard to get rid of. They are a weed in this area and I hate the taste. I only ate one - was quite sweet - and at first I thought it was quite nice, but the taste just did not go away and made me feel sick in the end. They are also prone to getting fruit fly here.

8. han_ysic

han_ysic Junior Member

Re: what to do with brazil cherries?

I think these are the fruit "acerola" in portugues, they are extremely high in vitamin c, grow in a small tree, bright red with white flesh. They are really popular to juice there, and taste great done like that, they make ice cream with them too, and sorbet, but the main use is in juicing.
    Hannah

Bruno Benedetti likes this.