Slugs in compost

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by derek, Nov 7, 2006.

1. derek

derek Junior Member

I have a small compost bin (1metre x 1 metre X 1.5 metres) in a suburban setting. Recently, I lifted the lid to see an infestation of slugs - really huge fat ones - munching on my kitchen scraps. Normally I wouldn't care but now I'm afraid to use the compost from this bin on my vegie patch in case I am spreading slug eggs all over the place. Any suggestions on how to get rid of them (I suspect the whole bin is riddled with them)?

I've been told that the size of my compost is too small to really heat up which would kill the eggs - is that right?

Thanks,
    Derek

2. Jez

Jez Junior Member

G'day Derek,

The dimensions you give for your bin are at the minimum level for getting a good hot compost going, but it is possible - if you have the right ratio of carbon to nitrogen and keep the pile moist and well aerated through relatively frequent turning.

This ratio will differ depending on where you get your info from, but speaking generally, you want a ratio of 25-35 parts carbon to 1 part nitrogen. 30:1 is probably the most commonly recommended ratio.

If you did have the above ratio about right, then the problem may be that you didn't keep it turned often enough - I would add wet enough, but the presence of large amounts of slugs suggests that it was plenty damp enough.

Reading a little more into your post and making an assumption, I'm guessing that you use your compost bin to put your daily scraps in...which will mean that it would be impossible to get the necessary carbon/nitrogen ratio. To do a hot compost in the dimensions of your bin, you really need to prepare all the layers at once and make it in one hit, rather than add bits to it as they become available.

You can add whatever organic matter is on hand bit by bit, but you can't get a hot compost which breaks down rapidly that way unless it's at a much bigger level than would be possible in a suburban yard - or you use a wiz bang gadget like the recent ones with coils for heat and aeration.

You could collect your kitchen waste until you have the appropriate amount of nitrogen then mix it with your carbon matter, but in my experience, the typical suburban output of each means you end up with more nitrogen source material than carbon source material.

One way to get around this and still use your kitchen scraps effectively is to put them into a worm farm (or feed them to chooks if possible) - just keeping some specifically for the compost when you have enough carbon built up, or alternately, using just organic manure as your nitrogen source.

I'd be inclined to just get rid of your current compost if you suspect lots of eggs are present (pretty likely IMO from what you've said). There's ways to get rid of the slugs, but as far as I'm aware, the only way to get rid of the eggs would be to pick them out or do a hot compost of all the material - which may not be practical given the fact you're probably starting with way more nitrogen than carbon ATM and only have the one bin.

If you suspected the slugs got in from outside the bin (rather than being among the added vegetable matter), then it may be worth putting a barrier around it - you could use egg shells or another abrasive material, wood ash - but be aware that many of these organic barriers need to replaced if they become wet or start to break down.

If you have access to copper or copper tape, a 5-6cm+ barrier strip around the area can keep them out for good and is a bit more permanent.

Someone who is a bit more of a compost expert may want to add to or correct what I've said...but I think it's pretty much ok.

3. Jez

Jez Junior Member

4. Douglas J.E. Barnes

Douglas J.E. Barnes Junior Member

Derek, you can also control slugs with Phasmarhabditis hermaphrodita, a nematode sold under the product name Nemaslug. You can also use decollate snails to control them.

Or your problem could be a duck deficiency. :wink:

5. derek

derek Junior Member

Hi,

Thanks Jez and Douglas for the feedback and the information on slug control and composting. I have a lot to learn!

Jez, you are right in assuming I'm putting my kitchen scraps in the bin almost daily so I think I'll go with the worm farm idea. After reading your post I spoke to a friend who has a worm farm at home and he has offered to help me set one up and will provide some of his worms to get it started.

Thanks again,
    Derek

6. Cornonthecob

Cornonthecob Junior Member

Not too sure what the duck would think of being put into the compost bin!

:lol:

7. FREE Permaculture

FREE Permaculture Junior Member

Hi derek,

yeah a worm farm will do the trick.
    i'm a hopeless composter, so at least i get some return on my worms :)
    but over 3 or 4 years my bins have managed to make 3/4 full bins of sorta like compost , so what i've done is utilise two of my bins now by growing a tomato in one and a pumpkin in the other.

so far they are going well, it's my first pumpkin year so it's pretty exciting :)

[​IMG]

Ben :duckie:

8. Jez

Jez Junior Member

That's great you have a friend on hand to help get you started Derek, good luck with it.

There's probably a good thread or two in the archives on worm farms which you might like to search out for ideas, designs etc if you don't already have a firm idea in mind.

9. fiona

fiona Junior Member

Just a quick note if you're setting up a worm farm - I have one of those tiny worm farms that you buy as a kit from nurseries, some hardware stores and some councils, and its way too small to take my household scraps, and doesn't give nearly as much castings as I'd like. If I were setting up from scratch I'd be making something bigger - which I'll get around to some day!

I have that and a bokashi bin, which is great, but which I also fill too quickly. My system works best with chooks as well to eat the main scraps. Will get some more chooks in the next couple of weeks.

When I had one of those plastic hardware store compost bins for my kitchen scraps, which I did at various times over the yrs, they were never much use.

Let us know how your worm farm goes.

10. Cornonthecob

Cornonthecob Junior Member

If you have excess food scraps from the kitchen place them under your mulch....the earth worms will love you for it.

11. derek

derek Junior Member

Thanks for the pics, Ben. What a great way to use the the compost bin. When I set up my worm farm I think I'll do the same. I'll use tomato plants as slugs and snails seem to avoid them. And good luck with your pumpkin!

What size would you recommend, Fiona? What sort of worm farm design would you go for if you were starting from scratch?

Thanks for the tip, Cornonthecob - I'll give it a go.

Thanks again,
    Derek

12. fiona

fiona Junior Member

Don't know re size and design - I was going to watch the thread and see what you ended up doing! Depends on whether you have chooks or similar, and the amount of scraps you have (or can get).

I have often seen that people make them from old bath tubs, and I think that could be a good way to go - good size - if you can get an old tub. Or old double laundry sinks are good too, and give you the two tubs. I would probably go something like that size. But I like those ideas because I'm not super handy at building stuff. I've also seen pics of ones built with a wooden frame that are quite big and look good. I'm sure there must be threads here about worm farm designs.

One of the other considerations is how you're going to use it. If you're unlikely to collect the "worm wee" for use as liquid fertiliser, you can put it onto the ground somewhere really useful - near trees that will appreciate the extra nutrient going directly to them. But if you'd rather have a way to get the excess liquid and then dilute it for watering into your plants, you will need to design it differently.

Fiona