Aquaponics Alert: Joel on Gardening Oz!!!

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by heuristics, Jul 29, 2006.

1. heuristics

heuristics Junior Member

Watch Gardening Australia next Saturday, August 5 at 6.30pm on ABC-tv.
    There's going to be a segment on Aquaponics

ONYA earthbound!!!

2. FREE Permaculture

FREE Permaculture Junior Member

Cool ok, i'll be watching,
    i might even set a mood and setup the tv in front of the bathtub, sit in it with my goggles and flippers on and enjoy :)

3. earthbound

earthbound Junior Member

Thanks heuristics, I actually missed tonights episode, so I might watch it tomorrow afternoon. I did have a call from my mum tonight to let me know she'd seen it, I don't think she's missed an episode sionce they were here filming... :D

4. heuristics

heuristics Junior Member

Hey Joel –
    NATIONAL TV – and Gardening Oz at that – very respected program.

Are you prepared for a HUGE deluge of interest and requests? People will still be making contact with you years later saying “I saw something on TV a few months back......”

Tell us all about the filming and how they found out about you. (Although given Josh Burns is in WA, and is a permie, and must be looking for new stories for the show each week, he'd be a huge ignoramous if he hadn't eventually found you!)

When did they make contact?
    How long did they film?
    What was it like being in front of the cameras?

TELL US EVERYTHING!!!!!!!

5. Penny

Penny Junior Member

Congratulations Joel, no reply yet to my PM but maybe you are really busy. I can see you becoming the aquaponics guru of the world, of to teach every one. Hey you can use some space at my places for a larger scale effort (she says generously with no eye to what she can learn from the Man!)
    CHEERS :D :D :D :D :D :D

6. christopher

christopher Junior Member

Dang, too bad I don't own a telly.......

Joel, you are going from strength to strength. Nice to see one of the good guys move forward.

Go (PSSSSST! HEY YOU GUYS? ARE YA READY?)... um... ("yeah, guv, give it a go...") AQUAPONICS :wav: !

[/i]

7. Mungbeans

Mungbeans Junior Member

Nevermind, Chris. Gardening Australia will put a transcript of the show on their website after the segment has aired.

8. christopher

christopher Junior Member

Thank you, MB! Let me know when that happens, please!

9. Ichsani

Ichsani Junior Member

8) 8) 8) :lol: :lol: 8) :lol: :lol: :D :D :D 8) 8) :lol: :lol: :D :D

...'she shouts at the telly "I know that guy! He's part of the permaculture forum!"...........

Very happy to see your work getting out there Joel. I also think that you'll get a wave of interest and enquiries about your set up (much like you get here).

Congrats

Will be watching Gardening Australia!

Ichsani

10. Mungbeans

Mungbeans Junior Member

11. Richard on Maui

Richard on Maui Junior Member

nice one Joel. I wonder if anyone could violate the ABC and post it as a video file download or something? or would that open PRI up to get sued?
    (I don't have a telly either you see. Normally I am pretty happy about this...)

12. earthbound

earthbound Junior Member

Thanks for the positive comments everyone.... :D

How did they find out about me? It was thanks to an old member of the forum, Tullymore. She wrote to gardening Australia suggesting they may be interested in what I was doing, and at about the same time I also sent off an email to them.. They replied to me saying sorry, there's a commercial aspect to it, ie me selling the packages.. They replied to Tully saying the same thing, and where as I just left it at that, she wrote back at least once more pushing the subject.

Anyway, that must have been maybe late last year sometime, a month or two later I received an email from one of their researchers asking questions. Then a while later it was a phone call to ask some questions, and then a while later another call, asking if I was ready for a film crew...

At that stage I was between fish in my system, I'd got slack and the system was empty, so I asked for 3 months, she asked if there was any bad time to be filming and I mentioned the middle of winter wasn't to good, then she pointed out that 3 months would put us in the middle of winter... :? Anyway it was left at that and I heard nothing more.

Then three months later, I had a call from the same researcher saying that I was booked in and had 2 weeks... Josh rang me about 4 days later asking if the director and himself could come around to look at shots and discuss things (this was the first time I spoke with him). They came round for about 20 minutes or so with note pads, but left without writing anything down... :?

The filming was booked in for a day and a half, sometimes they can get it done in a day, sometimes they need more.. Anyway they turned up at 9.00, Josh, the director, sound man, camera man, and work experience boy..

They had a sort of script thing all printed out, basically just what subjects we were to discuss in our own words, and there were the set standard shots that they wanted, me walking along looking at things, checking the plants etc... It was an interesting experience, the scripty bits went ok, we had out discussions, changed a fair bit around and left other bits out. There is a hell of a lot of standing around waiting, for background noises to stop, and little stuff ups that had to be re-done, like you can't say seasol, it's seaweed extract..

Anyway, by miday we were done with the main filming, they were very happy with how things went, then after lunch they spent a couple of hours doing straight filming bits, of plants, water, fish etc, lots of the "nice" bits that they put music behind during the segment. Then it was all done...

It's given me a great appreciation of what goes into a segment, how they do the long shots and then the close ups.. It was a fun day, Josh was great, he was very keen about the systems and has since written an article that will be in the next edition of 'the organic gardener' magazine..

One thing I did find interesting was that the researchers are the ones that do most of the preperation work, lots of reaserch, background work, preparing the scripty things, the fact sheets, organising pretty much everything basically...

All in all an interesting experience..... :D

13. heuristics

heuristics Junior Member

very interesting.
    will look forward to seeing the segment.
    I usually watch it Sat nite and if there are segments I particularly like I watch again Sunday after Landline. Then I head back out into my "garden" all inspired

My bet is I will want to watch your segment at least twice.

Well done to Tully for pushing your barrow.

14. Mungbeans

Mungbeans Junior Member

They replay it again at 3:00 pm on ABC2 (digital) on the Monday.

15. frosty

frosty Junior Member

goodonya joel 8)

look forward to watching it and will tape it as well :wink:

richard do you have a vcr ? I dont think there are any copyright probs with taping a free to air TV show as long as it isnt sold :? but I cant email videos because I have very slow dialup ( apart from no clue how to do it :wink: )

which reminds me joel did you get the tape I sent you ?

frosty

16. Richard on Maui

Richard on Maui Junior Member

Thanks Frosty, but no, no vcr either. The computer is the only thing we have to watch videos. :D

17. heuristics

heuristics Junior Member

So Joel,
    Well done on your segment. It came across very concisely. A good promotion of acquaponics.

Are you happy with what they screened?
    I was hoping it would be longer, but I guess I'm biased!

(and so that's what you look like!)

18. Tezza

Tezza Junior Member

Dammmmm I missed it I was around my mates place actually...

I/we was making Yabby houses for my Aquaponics setup..

A sort of Yabby ecovillages. Yabby Park Homes....

Hoping to catch it today sometime (sunday) though I have visited Joels place bought his book and picked his brain 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Gearing up to take off with Yabbies this spring...

Already got customers waiting

Tezza

19. FREE Permaculture

FREE Permaculture Junior Member

yeah.. yabbie-dabbie-doo!

20. Mungbeans

Mungbeans Junior Member