Alert for Frosty - Watch SBS July 13

Discussion in 'The big picture' started by heuristics, Jul 7, 2006.

1. heuristics

heuristics Junior Member

Not only Frosty, of course - many of us will be interested in this one:

SBS TV

08:30 pm STORYLINE AUSTRALIA - DIRTY WAR (Eastern States schedule)
    Since 9/11, the US wants to establish more bases in more countries as a key strategy in its ‘War on Terror'. Meanwhile a global toxic horror story is emerging from those living near present and past bases in the US and overseas. 14-year-old Erwinjohn Tuazon has just come out of a course of chemotherapy. He is one of many childhood leukaemia cases recorded in the close vicinity of the former bases at Clark and Subic in the Philippines. Proper treatment is way beyond the means of most families where the average daily income is five dollars a day. As far as the doctors are concerned, there's nothing more that can be done for Erwinjohn. The US has around 2000 bases in 140 countries worldwide. Military bases are places of major industrial operations – testing and use of munitions, fuelling, paint-stripping, tank-flushing, all using a lethal cocktail of toxic substances including heavy metals, dioxins, and PCB's. Against a geo-political backdrop of war, terrorism, and shifting global alliances Dirty War is the story of a David and Goliath struggle between a group of poisoned Filipino peasants and allegedly one of the largest and certainly most powerful polluters on the planet – the US military. (Commissioned by SBS Independent, in English and Tagalog, English subtitles) G CC WS
    SMS Alert Code: 0447

2. frosty

frosty Junior Member

thanks heuristic

I did already know ...... and by the program I think it may be on at 11.30 ( well here in WA ) due to the cycling

I know the film's maker Alan Carter ...... he got the idea after attending our first public meeting to oppose seaswap in fremantle in Dec 2002

the first place he visited when he started research was here (Lancelin ) but in the end he didnt come back and film here ....... there isnt much to see here yet and seems we are sort of unoffical with the yanks :lol: they have only announced they will use Shoalwater and Bradshaw ....... I guess bombing in such a small range so close to a capital city is not good PR

regards
    frosty

3. Tezza

Tezza Junior Member

Yankies Stay Home

Tezza

4. Richard on Maui

Richard on Maui Junior Member

5. Jim Bob

Jim Bob Junior Member

War is bad for the environment.

I'd never have guessed it! 8)

- Jim Bob, former infantryman

6. spritegal

spritegal Junior Member

Can't they just poison their own citizens first and then work on poisoning the rest of the world? How very rude of them.

Don't most Americans believe there is no "world" outside their own 52 states...or should that be 53 (the last one being Australia).

No wonder I'm moving overseas at the end of next year....its a very sad state of affairs for Australia.

7. Tezza

Tezza Junior Member

good one jim bob

Tezza

8. soldierturnedfarmer

soldierturnedfarmer Junior Member

yanks

When I was in the Australian army, there were talks of an American base being set up in Australia. Clearly it has its advantages and disadvantages. I think it would be a good idea if it was in the middle of nowhere and was monitored by the EPA and other enviromental agencies.

STF

9. Richard on Maui

Richard on Maui Junior Member

I think it would be a good idea if it were in the middle of the United States and it was monitored by the EPA and it was only allowed to do creative stuff like clean up environmental messes and no destructive stuff like playing with guns and bombs etc. :D

10. heuristics

heuristics Junior Member

Enjoy your OS trip Spritegal, but I dont know how successful you will be in eluding the influence of the US (military).
    I think we would have to arm wrestle Britain for the title of 51st state.... And Japan thinks THEY are the next state in line behind the official 50... so despite our Lil Johnny poncing around as a Deputy Sherrif in the Pacific, I dont know we rate as first in line on the arse-licking queue as we imagine.

And military base speaking - dont forget Germany. There is a HUGE presence there.

Read "Blowback"by Chalmers Johnson for a glimpse into the US activites in Okinawa Japan post WW2 to present, and other places across SEAsia.

And dont forget the banner that made Dick Smith gag: "The United States Welcomes You to the South Pole".... ie. the same South Pole Aussies explored and pioneered. Smithy found a HUGE military base down there when he went off on one of his adventures... and they were none too hospitable when he got into difficulties....

11. heuristics

heuristics Junior Member

I just want to add something... I have noticed in the last little while we have been joined by a few more or our permie colleagues in US, who have joined the ones we already have contributing to this board.

I just want to say, just from me personally, these harsh comments are NOT directed at you as individuals..... I know from my own bitter personal experience I have not been able to effect the kind of influence on MY governments - national, state or local, the way I would like...
    There is SO MUCH I dont agree with in regard to OZ govt... and I wouldn't like to have people think, because I am an Australian, I agree and endorse everything what "my"govenment does...
    Which leads us back to what we all have in common - a hope/belief that permaculture will offer a solution to the bankcrupt environmental practices of govts and corporations and individuals everywhere...

12. Tezza

Tezza Junior Member

Here Let Me PUBLICLY agree with Heuristics

I agree with the fact that I dont class Normal Citizens the same way as their Politicle Leaders..........I have relatives in the USA,and although I may Knock the Yanks I only mean the Leaders............BUT...If thay act as their leaders
    well thats fair game to me...

I like calling Spades Spades

Tezza

13. frosty

frosty Junior Member

I too agree I have lots of American friends - fellow activists and people like us fighting against pollution from military activities ........ they work very hard in situations that are extremely difficult ..... they have my admiration and support

but like tezza I also say those that support the US invasion of other countries be it to spread their dirty polluting training on some one elses soil or their actual occupations have my absolute contemp ........

and heuristis the japanese situation is not what it seems ....... while the japanese govt may suck up to the US like ours does the people do NOT support the US presence

as this article shows

frosty

14. 9anda1f

9anda1f Administrator Staff Member

Climate:
    Semi-Arid Shrub Steppe (BsK)
    Thanks Heuristics! Not all of us yanks follow our government blindly and work to help keep everyone's eyes wide-open. Heres yet another example of war's pollution...this time in the middle east:

https://www.bushflash.com/swf/silentscream.swf

Makes me want to cry...

9anda1f

15. Tezza

Tezza Junior Member

:( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :-x :-x :-x :-x :-x :-x :-x :-x :-x :-x :-x :-x :-x :-x :-x :-x :-x :-x :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

God Help US ALL

Tezza

16. soldierturnedfarmer

I'll admit that in the past, there have been huge mistakes make with regards to the military's attitude to the enviroment. I can only speak from my experiance in the Australian army about this. Now days, enviromental protection is taken very seriously within our military and though they have a long way to go, it is a step in the right direction. Take into consideration for example the Shoalwater Bay training area located near Rockhampton. That particular military training ground now has some very good enviromental prevention and protection activities going on in its juristiction. No longer is the old bash and bury your rubbish to conceal it from the enemy actively encouraged, now a soldier must carry their rubbish with them until a resupply where the quarter master takes the rubbish and disposes of it properly.

As for the occupation of foreign territories in a warlike situation, as a former soldier I do not glorify or encourage war. However, sometimes unfortunate as it is, it is necessary to take action in a military fashion.
    As for our own government, well possibly more credit should be given to them, we don't always back America blindly. For example, many Australians wonder what we are doing in Iraq. I served over there in 2003, when the invasion was still on and my main duties included defending and building the Australian embassey and the surrounding buildings into a defensive position. We also were responsible for protecting the Australian ambassador and the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade staff. They're job was to negotiate new deals with the Iraqi interim government and establish relations between our country and theirs. We didn't do much in the grand scheme of things with the war and helping the Americans. If they needed assistance and we were in the area, we helped out but we didn't actively go looking for trouble/action. If it came to us, we were prepared but what I am getting at is we were there mainly for Australian interests in my opinion. Many people in Australia don't understand this, I also get the craps with people who give me crap about the service I gave to my country, then again normally these people are morons and their opinion doesn't really bother me.

I guess its just that the general public isn't eductated in what we do over there and other places. You might remember the 50 000 sheep that were sitting in their own faeces in a ship off the gulf coast after the deal fell through. Who do you think renegotiated that deal? Thats right the DFAT team in Iraq.

STF

17. Tezza

Tezza Junior Member

Hiya Soldier.. Let me Publicly thank you for putting your Life on the line.

Let me publicly thank all the Soldiers who have fought and died to give me/us this wonderfull life i/we now. Thank you.

Every Year we get to say Lest We Forget......

Every year I Say Sorry.......Sorry to those who gave their lives,and Sorry to those who currently offer their super valuable lives every day of the year..

For What?Sorry because we still havent learnt our lessons,Sorry for putting you in the firing line again.Sorry for sending you over seas so you can die in some far flung place,Sorry for exposing you to D. U. and Agent Orange,
    Sorry for not looking after you after you return.

Lastly but by no means completly.

Im sorry for allowing my Political leaders to put you there in the first Place.. even though my party of choice have abolished war..

A lot of good innocent people die during war...

If we must have Soldiers lets just have for self defence. Non overseas

Thanks

Tezza

As a famous Liverpudlian once said....Give Ireland Back To The Irish

Lets Give The World Its World Back. Lets bring Everyone home "Everyone"

18. soldierturnedfarmer

Tezza,
    thanks for the thanks but there is no need to much as I appreciate it.
    I volunteered to join the army, I wasn't conscripted to join like my father and uncle. I was 17 and keen for adventure so I joined the infantry and later progressed to other simular but advanced areas much to the dismay of my mother. lol 8)

There is a saying, All it takes for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing or words to that effect. The Australian Defence Force is a defence force but we still need to go overseas sometimes to protect our interests. The best cure is prevention and if we can nip in the bud before we are fighting in the streets here.

Unfortunately pacifism is not an option. Ideally it would be however not everyone agrees with it in this imperfect world and also this creates an uneven playing field that people ie an enemy would exploit.

I do agree with your statement about soldiers not being looked after when they return. Our veterans affairs system needs a HUGE overhaul in my opinion. The lack of support is literally disgusting but anyway I won't have a rant on here about that :lol: .

I am not sure what D.U is but I wasn't in Vietnam for Agent Orange, the only "warlike" and I use the term loosely operations I went on was East Timor and Iraq. I did a tour of Vietnam once but it was through contiki so I didn't get any gongs for that. :p

STF

19. frosty

frosty Junior Member

the militarys talk about environmental protection is ALL talk ...... you are spreading the propaganda line to the wrong person I live right next to lancelin DTA in WA ....... and here they are trashing the whole environment and ou health along with it I attend their meetings where they outright lie and try and convince us of the above propaganda so I know the real story

so they carry out their rubbish on one hand and destroy the pristine environment on the other

at lancelin they have a sign near the gate that says "do not litter " :lol: so its alright to kill but not litter

I suggest you should see David Bradbury's documentary "blowin in the wind " there is a lo about shoalwater and aslso about the local residents who had a deformed child due to military pollution

https://www.bsharp.net.au

[quot]As for the occupation of foreign territories in a warlike situation, as a former soldier I do not glorify or encourage war. However, sometimes unfortunate as it is, it is necessary to take action in a military fashion.
    As for our own government, well possibly more credit should be given to them, we don't always back America blindly. For example, many Australians wonder what we are doing in Iraq. I served over there in 2003, when the invasion was still on and my main duties included defending and building the Australian embassey and the surrounding buildings into a defensive position. We also were responsible for protecting the Australian ambassador and the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade staff. They're job was to negotiate new deals with the Iraqi interim government and establish relations between our country and theirs. We didn't do much in the grand scheme of things with the war and helping the Americans. If they needed assistance and we were in the area, we helped out but we didn't actively go looking for trouble/action. If it came to us, we were prepared but what I am getting at is we were there mainly for Australian interests in my opinion. Many people in Australia don't understand this, I also get the craps with people who give me crap about the service I gave to my country, then again normally these people are morons and their opinion doesn't really bother me.
    [/quote]

so you call me a moron and you just arrived :evil: I dont suppose I should expect anything different from a trained killer

BTW a good friend of mine was in Iraq too as a human shield - that took real courage

mmmmmm I think you need the education mate ........ by your post to tezza you really should find out what DU is because you have been exposed to it and it will probably kill you eventually .......

it is the US weapon of genocide used in Iraq and probably in most aussie training areas

it will probably kill us all

frosty

20. heuristics

heuristics Junior Member

Hiya STF - welcome, like Cornie said in the other post - lots of really knowledgeable people on board here - but I am not one of them either!!!

Tezza - that last post of yours was one of your absolute best - I agree with you so whole-heartedly, I too am sorry we have learnt nothing and still send young men to war.

SFT - I appreciate you have a different perspective - as you say, you signed on, not conscripted... your choice... but what makes me proud, and what I'd rather seen is Aussie troops doing humanitarian duties in Indonesia after the tsunami or in Pakistan after the earthquake or helping people in whatever part of the world needs it... that kind of tour of duty still leaves plenty of scope for adventure for 17 year olds like yourself ..... the Anzacs went off to Turkey 1915 desperate for adventure .... it's a long tradition..... .

DU means depleted uranium. google it.
    If I can be so presumptuous, you need to inform yourself about this and any health implications. Agent orange was kiddies cordial compared to this stuff. Iraq is doused top to bottom with DU. That's what makes the bunker busting bombs bust bunkers - they are mini nuclear bombs - but that's an explanation from a civilian - the military will have another whole way to explain it.
    I did a lot of on-line research into DU in 04/05. I was out of the office for a few hours one day and came back and IT had replaced my computer.
    - NO, not a conspiracy, just "stuff happens". But I lost all my DU files that were on my "favourites", but I got it all from just googling Depleted uranium.

I sincerely absolutely hope your health has not been compromised - but if you are googled up on DU, you'll know what symptoms to monitor yourself for.