Permaculture Design Course - How was yours run?

Discussion in 'Jobs, projects, courses, training, WWOOFing, volun' started by Boab, Jun 7, 2006.

1. Sonya

Sonya Junior Member

Re; formal recognition of practical experience in permaculture.

Hi,

After expressing an interest in studying with Robyn Francis at Djanbung Gardens, I recently received a newsletter from there detailing all their upcoming courses. Perhaps if you send an email you too can be added to the mailing list?

[email protected]

I'm planning on studying with Janet Millington here on the sunny coast to receive recognition of my previous learning and experience and putting that toward a Diploma of Permaculture. It's closer to home than NSW.

I think it is important to go through the process if you are thinking about perhaps teaching permaculture in the future... this whole thread started with questions about the quality and structure of p/c teaching.

Just like garden styles, each person's education and learning about permaculture will follow a different path, and we need people of all levels and abilities involved. Teaching, sharing your knowledge and spreading the word about the benefits of p/c to people who express an interest in what we are doing, whether formally or informally is the most important part.

Cheers,
    Sonya.

2. RobWindt

RobWindt Junior Member

3. Boab

Boab Junior Member

As Sonya has quite accurately pointed out, this thread was formed on the basis of the of a query formulated as a result of very poor service delivery and suboptimal standards of education in a PDC course I am currently doing.

Personally, I think the current standard of such training is irrelevant and I would tend to agree with Ischani in relation to his observations.

This is simply not true. It was actually a request borne out of a directed interest from the public to undertake a course in permaculture that 'had currency' in the big wide world. In order for TAFE to be able to carry out permaculture training, the institution was required to have a curriculum that was recognised both by the government and by the permaculture world. This brought about many, many months of work striving to attain a standard that not only could be delivered Australia wide but would also be recognised and accepted by all. To state that TAFE was on a marketing bend by introducing APT is not only wrong but a scurrilous accusation with no basis of fact to it, especially when one considers that APT is not conducted by TAFE alone but is actually carried out by a number of "recognised training organisations" and largely thanks to the efforts put in by TAFE.

Northey Street City Farm is one of those organisations also running APT but whether participants of that course wish to comment on its progress, or lack thereof, is up to them.

4. RobWindt

RobWindt Junior Member

"To state that TAFE was on a marketing bend by introducing APT is not only wrong but a scurrilous accusation"

Not what I said at all, this was prior to the formation of APT. The concern was, in part, that less than complete permaculture courses would be offered.
    The APT package was developed, as you point out, to create a course that "had currency" and would remain owned by the permaculture community
    Cheers

5. Boab

Boab Junior Member

Actually the course is owned by the government.

6. Sonya

Sonya Junior Member

Southern Cross Permaculture, I believe, offer a half price PDC to people who have already completed one. Not sure what is involved, but saw an ad about it in the latest Grass Roots or Earth Garden - can't remember which.

Might be worth checking out for some. I've heard good things about that PDC.

Sonya. :)

7. RobWindt

RobWindt Junior Member

8. RobWindt

RobWindt Junior Member

"the course is owned by the government"

The following is from Naomi Coleman, who helped put the APT package together

For the first time, people wishing to undertake formal studies in Permaculture can do so with a nationally recognised and accredited training program. A team of committed Permaculture practitioners from 4 states formed a working group of PIL (Permaculture International Limited) to compile a framework for Certificate I - IV and Diploma of Permaculture. PIL own the copyright of the material on behalf of all Permaculture PDC graduates. They have an agreement with a Registered Training Organisation (RTO) called Hortus who have auspiced the training, and will provide the qualification, keep all records of graduates and be responsible for any auditing of the training that may occur.
    https://www.southerncrosspermaculture.com.au/

Edited to add link to APT FAQs
    https://www.permacultureinternational.or ... ation1.htm
    Cheers

9. Boab

Boab Junior Member

Perhaps I should have been more specific.
    The course run by TAFE is owned by TAFE under licence administered by Hortus.

10. Cornonthecob

Cornonthecob Junior Member

I was going to do a PDC....my employer was even going to pay for it, but have on further reflection decided not to go ahead with it.

Over the last 12 months I've lost the Permaculture 'bug'....don't get me wrong, I'm all for the principles of permaculture/organics etc....I read all I can, and take what I want to put into practise here.

But....and I don't say this to upset anyone....but for me 'permaculture' is nothing more really than a word to describe a whole bunch of things that people all over the world have been doing for years untold. It would seem that in the 70's it was given a name....which was good as it gave a focus towards better living. The name was copyrighted which most likely has maintained its value, and provided its owners with a good living.

So...I don't want a label. The little I know has had a marked influence with my neighbours, I find myself more and more talking to them and offering advice, and they actively seek this which is great.

I don't call what I do 'permaculture'.....I just do what I can and tell people to stop using poisons!

Anyways...sorry for wandering off subject..

11. dewbee

dewbee Junior Member

12. jackie

jackie Junior Member

permaculure design course

I did my PDC about 13 years ago with Rick and Naomi Colman at the Orwel St Community House in Frankston Victoria. This was prior to were they now live in Leongatha and run Southern Cross Permaculture institute. The course was fantastic then run over 2 week intensively. As a group we developed a fantastic sense of community and I still keep in contact with about 1/2 the group. We did hands on, practical work building worm farms, gardens etc. The couse at the time was taken mainly by rick and Naomi however they had "experts in their fields' in for components such as house design, biodnamics etc. Would love to do another course with them in future as I know they have come a long way since then, they live and breath permaculture from their 10 acres down there and are extreemly committed to educating people on permaculture. I'll need to wait till my kids are a bit older before leaving them for a fortnight though.
    With regard to should the teachers be Permaculture Trainned, I feel and understand that those running the couse must be. That's part of the reason and structure of the consept and certificate accreditation.
    With regard to should they be teacher trainned, that's a tricky one. Personaly myself being being primary trainned and having also studied masters in Envio Ed and a certificate of Adult teaching and learning I sould be saying yes, however some people are natural teachers and some good trainners and organisers. At the end of the day you want people who are pasionate and knowledgeable in their fields to be sharing this and with Permaculture being so interdisiplinary to limit these people would do the spread of permaculture a grave disservice. Being a good communicator is improtant.
    To those who have had second thoughts about a design course please don't its the design principals within permacultre that are so valuable in all that you do. Read David Holmgrens book "Permaculture Principals and Practices beyond Sustainability" You will find that a good course will not only be talking permaculture it will be living Permaculture. We had one lady cook for our course whilst her husband did it. In a course I taught in (Married a participant of) The same bata system was used to care for the teachers and a couple of participants children.
    Do your homework yes! Do a course Yes!

If nothing else live a great permie life.
    Care for the Earth and People,
    Share surplus time, energy and knowledge and
    set limits to consumption and repopultation.

Love Jackie

13. jackie

jackie Junior Member

peracutlure design course

Found a passage in David Holmgrens Iatest book "Permaculture Principals and pathways beyond sustainability." Page xx

[i]The Permaculture Design Course:

Most of the people involved in this movement have completed a Permaculture Design course, which for over 15 years has been the prime vehicle for permaculture inspiration and training world wide. A curriculurm was codified in 1084, but divergent evolution of both the form and content of these courses, as presented by different permaculture teachers has produced vary varied and localised experiences and understandings of permaculture.
    In the early 1990's when I began to teach Design Courses regularly, I used the curriculum as a foundation but I freely adapted the format to emphasise my own understandings, experience and priorities. I also contributed to the discussion and debate within the movement about how permaculture education should develop.
    The debate about the content of Permaculture design courses has become more intense in recent years. Bill Mollison and others have asserted that a failure to adhere to the curriculum, the inclusion of religious beliefs outside the scope of "design science", and a lack of attention to principles and theory is diluting and devaluing some permaculture education. Although I might agree with some of these claims about some courses, I have always found the perception of dilution has to be balanced by the value of diversity even when, like weeds, it comes in forms we don't particularly like.

I always find Davids voice to be the voice of reason with in Permaculture. When he says something it is well thought through. As the co-originatior of permaculture we should be listening to his wisdom. After all not many if any have though so long and hard about the sudject. He is a living breathing example of the best of permaculture principles and practices.

Page xx also has his diagram of the permaculture flower , the best representation I have seen of the diversity of permaculture.

Love Jackie