What do you do for a living?

Discussion in 'General chat' started by Douglas J.E. Barnes, May 29, 2006.

1. kathleenmc

kathleenmc Junior Member

Heya DJEB....

You certainly asked a great question.

Sweetpea is right.

I failed to mention that my enthusiasm for going into a permi business was seriously thought out with market research, a business plan and help from a small business group that helps people to set up businesses down here.

If you fail to prepare you prepare to fail as the old business motto goes.

Do your research into what works out your way, talk to others doing exactly the same thing in your area....maybe you will discover a niche somewhere. I have 2 other "permi businesses" to contend with here in my small area but neither of these guys wants to do small backyard projects or do any labour towards building gardens...and I can do that...hence my niche. These guys are also older than me and may not be around much longer.....(two heart attacks and one bypass already between them!)

I'm going down that track of working in a field that is my passion, therefore it's not really work it's a love.

If it doesn't make money it's a hobby...as soon as it starts making money it's a business....another business enterprise motto.

We have a big cut flower market happening in our area with plants mainly going to the Japan market. But it's seasonal....what can you do to diversify. I know of a guy who has organic wines, potatoes, lamb and wool products coming off his farm...very diverse and aways bringng in an income...but like sweetpea says...he works very hard and loves that kind of lifestyle.

Kathleen :wink:

2. living simple

living simple Junior Member

Hi all!

Just wanted to put my two cents worth in!

I am a 30 year old receptionist and my hubby is a 33 year old factory supervisor - both unglamorous, full-time jobs, but as some people have already mentioned - 'a means to an end'!

Over the last 5 years we have turned 50 acres of almost complete bush into a livable, beautiful sanctury! Solar-powered house, 45 fruit trees, huge garden, glasshouses, chookshed, workshop, dams, etc. This was done working every spare weekend, holiday and after-work time we could manage! I look back now and realise how far we've come already (with a looong way to go), and i would never go through it again, but that's the joy of being niave (and young!) i think! We are at a stage in our lives where we have paid off our small mortage, have one decent car (and one 'not so decent' car!), been on holiday a couple times over the last two years and now deciding how we can quit our jobs, but still live and pay bills!

We are a little unsure how to go about this too, as i think we've fallen into such a routine, and now only dream about what we could achieve being home full-time! And the double income does come in handy, too!! I am envious of those 'hippy' permie type people who are able to stay home every day and never run out of money!

All i can say is good luck and go for it! I think i will!

Now, to find a part-time job that pays the bills . . . hmmm . . .

3. Richard on Maui

Richard on Maui Junior Member

At this point I can't help but throw in the old faithful comment that one great way to lower the bills is to reduce consumption...
    (I think I'll switch off the computer now). :lol:

4. grease

grease Junior Member

what do you do for a living?

Hope this is helpful DJEB.
    I live on a quarter acre block in a relatively small town on the east coast of Australia. I work full time at the local hospital as a nurse and am the sole parent to two teenagers. I have been playing with permaculture in various places and different ways since I discovered it in the mid eighties. My long term dream when I moved here ten years ago was to set this place up as a showcase or a 'catalogue' for my permaculture design business. Circumstances have changed, dreams modified but the long term plan of making permaculture work for me continue. I continue to modify the old shack that we live in to be environmentally friendly.I continue to develop the garden to provide us with food. I preach the virtues of permaculture as much as I can without losing friends(in this somewhat redneck part of the world). I teach my children by example and in deed in the ways of permanent culture. I continue to do my best to leave the smallest footprints I can on this planet. One thing I have learnt is that no matter where you think you'll be in the future, circumstance has a way of taking part and altering your course. It's important then to make your decisions for the right reasons and be happy with what you have decided. Permaculture is as much about networking and society as it is about 'farming'. That is where I am at at the moment, working to bring up the kids and pay off the mortgage, working on the house and garden, promoting permaculture locally. I wish you well in whatever you do but where you start and where you think you'll end up are two totally different things, the starting point is the only known variable. The journey is what it is all about. Whatever you do it all comes down to what your prepared to put up with for what you want. :)

5. Douglas J.E. Barnes

Douglas J.E. Barnes Junior Member

I thank you all again for the super input. Hearing what other people really helps and is a great source of ideas. And hearing about potential dangers helps with planning.

One way to go about this is to lay my cards on the table - know where I'm coming from and list my ideas. I'd love to hear why they may or may not be feasible. Without further ado:

I had a well-paid job teaching in Toyko. The city, however, is very stressful for me (already had one duodenal ulcer with a 10-day hospital stay) and it is so polluted it makes LA look clean. Furthermore, living in Tokyo means that you cannot help being destructive to the planet. I no longer want to do that.

Here are the ideas I've had:

:idea: Design and consulting business moving into more and more teaching until I feel I have the experience to run a really good PDC (I've been a teacher of this or that since 1990 and have the teaching bug.) A demonstration farm would be set up and teaching would be on location.

:idea: Design and conultation with organic flowers in greenhouses (and perhaps a nursury) as another income.

:idea: Buy old houses, retrofit them for enery efficiency - being completely passive solar, if possible - then selling them.

:idea: Getting government contracts to return old mines and gravel pits to their original (or better) condition.

:idea: Building an eductional retreat offering an place away from the city and teaching people how to deal with an energy-decent world.

:idea: Starting an organic farm based focusing on CSA.

:idea: Go into the energy business consulting and designing for efficiency and selling products - LED lamps, wind and solar systems, micro hydro, etc.

:idea: Running away and joining a straw bale building crew (starting to boom in Ontario) building homes in the summer and doing permaculture design and consultancy in the winter.

6. Jez

Jez Junior Member

FWIW, I think you have the right idea in diversifying your earning activities Douglas. When you mention cut flowers being a better money spinner than food, I can't help thinking...'yes, but will it always be that way in years to come?'

Cut flowers are a luxury item, whereas your other ideas for food production, teaching/advice/consultancy, construction etc. are all essential to the coming era of energy descent. If I were you, I'd be wary of going too far into non-essential, luxury item production...there simply may be no market (or at least a greatly reduced one) in years to come.

Good luck with your decision and future endeavours.

7. Douglas J.E. Barnes

Thanks, Jez. I was thinking that the flower end could help support the other things. And if the market changes, the infrastructure from flower production could be shifted over to food production.

Thanks for the word of caution. I think the energy question is really important. Here in Ontario, electricity rates increased by an average of about 10%. Natural gas has peaked and prices have gone up. And there are warnings about gas reaching $1.30 a litre this hurricane season. Where we go from here no one can say with any accuracy other than to say that things will get more expensive over the long haul.

Business aside, I'd like to be somewhere quiet and clean where I produce most of my own food, live in a house of my design (if you want something done right...), and generate my own power. To get all that and not be sinking into debt is the personal goal. If I can make money improving the health of people and the planet, that would be awsome. (I could be making money doing the opposite, but won't.)

8. Loris

Loris Junior Member

Re: tax breaks. The production size for tax breaks formula is no longer used by the tax department. Their way of determining if you are a primary producer is by proportion of income. So in a financial year if the bulk of your income is from primary industry, you are a producer no matter how big or small you might be.

9. Tezza

Tezza Junior Member

Re The Question "what do you Do for a living"

After Living for 52 years and 3 months of exsisting on this planet,and taking into account all of the problems my fellow permies and I have discovered in our up to the minute lifetimes..I just realised that one of US, me or you lot :lol: .im not too sure anymore 8) Is Doing this all wrong :shock: :wink:

Why arnt I moaning and carrying on about, how hard it all is,How sore my blisters are,how hot/cold/wet/dry/funny/sad/good/bad?my life is...Im really paniking now as my life isnt like some of yours..Im dead green with envy.

I demand equal rights,I want your problems,I want your worries.,Does anyone give lessons on how to be like this?.Does anyone Do Correspondence courses? :(

Permaculture:- "Just Be It"

Tezza

10. Douglas J.E. Barnes

Yikes, Tezza. Sorry I started all this and caused you so much grief. :cry: :wink: :D

11. Alex M

Alex M Junior Member

Douglas, I was told a while ago to look into growing foliage for the floral industry. The flowers make more money, but foliage, the green stuff that is essential for flower arrangements, is cut from various shrubs, and is in high demand, so is pretty regular, and not such hard work to produce in sufficient volume. I was told it's a reliable second income, and I guess it would suit a multi-layered permaculture. Any one know much about this side of the business?

My situation is similar to yours, Douglas, but I think everyone agrees that Permaculture holds the key to the future, as crowded industrial cities become less and less sustainable.

https://www.abc.net.au/science/slab/natcap/default.htm

12. andyo

andyo Junior Member

This fella here is unemployed... and has been for 2 years !!! Crazy, literally. Put the violin away because I wont bore anyone with the story.

What I am to do about this. I'll start by doing a PDC I will, and being unemployed I'm "considering" doing APT cert 4, tho I'm not sure considering I've had nearly no experience in the practical realm of permaculture.

Thanks to, and excuse me all you hardworking, tax paying people... sincerely.

Andy.

13. ho-hum

ho-hum New Member

Andy.. no joy [or shame] in being unemployed. Ask your Job Network provider if they can fund a permie course.

If that doesnt work ask the instructor if you can 'help' and do the PDC real cheap. Permie Instructors have a living to make but by definition they are community spirited.

In 1989 I organised the Skillshare I ran [as president] to put 15 people thru a PDC - which we paid for. Damn shame I couldnt put myself through the course at that time but was too busy at work although every night I read all the stuff and quizzed the people on the course.

Good luck,

floot

14. Douglas J.E. Barnes

This JUST in: Ecoedge Design LTD is now a corporation registered and entitled to do business in the Province of Ontario.

Thanks to everyone who gave advice or even left a comment. It was an immense help. :D

15. Tezza

Tezza Junior Member

Go Douglas Go Good luck with your enterprise..

I hope you get everything you want out of your new venture....

Tezza

16. christopher

christopher Junior Member

Hey, Douglas, that's great! Ya got a website yet? Hahahaha!

Tell me more about what your business aims to do, please. I am interestd.

C

17. Douglas J.E. Barnes

I am hoping to do design, consultation and implementation for sites, and teaching. I want/need to set up a nursury and would like to set up green houses. Also, I am interested in mushroom cultivation.

The business is currently a corporation, but when it builts, I want to change that to a non-profit corporation. That will come in its due time.

The idea of creating or helping to create an ecovillage is also very appealing to me.

I wish I could tell you more, but things are just getting started, so I'll see were the future takes me.