Cane toad traps

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by Peter Warne, May 16, 2006.

1. Peter Warne

Peter Warne Junior Member

Cane toads have been discussed in several threads before, but after searching long and hard I haven't managed to find one contribution made some time back, where someone described a cane toad trap they had made. To buy traps would obviously be expensive, making them is the go. Can the original author or anyone else remember where it was, or give the design again?

Peter

2. Douglas J.E. Barnes

Douglas J.E. Barnes Junior Member

Sorry, it wasn't me, but I'll tell you what I've seen. At Brisbane's Northey Street City Farm, they had some bathtubs embedded in the ground (for what purpose, I don't know - breeding mosquitos?). As they were at ground level, the toads would hop right in, die in time, and form a really interesting dead toad soup.

I rekon you could use sinks, tubs, pails, ice cream containers, etc. You could make a toad-free area by completely encircling an area with them.

3. heuristics

heuristics Junior Member

cane toads

The ABC-TV program “Inventions from the Shed” had a guy who had constructed some sort of wire cage with an off-set mouth, sort of elbow shaped. He placed it under a light at night. The insects came for the light, died and fell on the ground, the toads jumped into the trap to get the insects, but couldn't negotiate the the awkward shape to jump back out...... truly gratifying shot of a bunch of toads in the trap, and the expressions on their faces, monumentally pissed off...... had me in hysterics .... who'd have thought a cane toad could look pissed off.... .

4. Douglas J.E. Barnes

5. heuristics

heuristics Junior Member

cane toads

Bugger, Barnsey,
    it wont load on my machine – is it a goodun??

6. ho-hum

ho-hum New Member

heur,

get the page up... it will be blank and nothing happening.. hit refresh and you should see your modem fire up as it downloads.

It played in quicktime for me. Yes its a good 'un, it went thru my email box about 4 months ago.

cheers

floot

7. Douglas J.E. Barnes

It was a repost. I put up a link here a while back, but I couldn't resist it.

8. macree

macree Junior Member

For a quick, simple and effective toad trap, get a 20 litre bucket, half fill it with water and half bury it in the ground. They jump in, can't get out and drown. I catch toads most nights in summer this way - then throw them dead down the paddock.

Cheers

Ree

9. Veggie Boy

Veggie Boy Junior Member

Heuristics - Can you do a drawing of the trap or describe it a bit more, I can't get a vision in my head.

Thanks.

10. Peter Warne

Peter Warne Junior Member

Ree - thanks for the method, which sounds the easiest and cheapest. I'll try it.

Peter

11. Michaelangelica

Michaelangelica Junior Member

Can't you blend toads and add them to the soil?-
    rather than tossing them?-Free blood and bone?

Some unsuspecting snake or animal might eat them and die

A bit like an old episode of Dr. Who.
    A mad gardener blended (In a big nasty machine) people he didn't like to add to the garden! :D

Shall we make a list? :wink:

12. Richard on Maui

Richard on Maui Junior Member

Bufo bufo liquid fertiliser

Satya Smith in Brisbane gave a talk at one of Leo Mahon's Permaculture Expo's (are they still going?) where he advised that method of the sunken bucket trap, but he advocated letting them steep in the bucket in the sun until they were liquid fertiliser. Yep, pretty gross.

13. Michaelangelica

Michaelangelica Junior Member

Re: Bufo bufo liquid fertiliser

I wonder what would happen if you brewed that?

This has to be the best, most effective, ingenious, clever, popular and appealing way yet to get rid of cane toads from Australia.
    Someone in Q'land should seriosly get behind this idea
    (26/02/2007) https://www.abc.net.au/rural/news/conten ... 857276.htm
    I guess if you cashed in your toads at the Pub - we may need some research on brewing toads. ?