Stone Pine

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by pjcooke, May 15, 2006.

1. pjcooke

pjcooke New Member

I am looking for a source of stone pine trees in Gippsland. They are also called pinus pinea.

Peter C.

2. Greenearth

Greenearth Junior Member

seed

I would say get some....ideally a load from a wholesaler...maybe pound or two. Ther'll be someone in your country/region selling this seed I should think...Just do the usual internet search for seed suppliers. Why not grow some monkey puzzle also?....The seeds is touch dear, buit the trees are suppose to be one of the best nut produces around. They'll look nice as a grove. Plenty of time to do this before spring. You're advised to 'statify' the seed in bags of damp sand in the fridge for 4 weeks or until you see roots...then just plant out in pots...Don't allow the pots to get waterlogged...this tree likes the sun!

3. jackie

jackie Junior Member

pine nut tree

We bought a storn pine plant from "the botanic ark" This guy is a botanist preserving rare and useful plant species. He lives in Copelands Rd Warrigal, so must be close if you're in Gippsland too. From memory he opens his property for tours on a regular basis you'll be amazed at this private collection of species and his dedication to their preservation. He also has a stall at the Red Hill market on the Mornington Peninsula (1st Sat of Month Sept - May). We purchaised a small stone pine from him 5-6 years ago an. It didn't do much for the first 4 years but has now found it's footing and is spurring along probably a metre high now which doesn't sound much but it looks healthy and robust. I'll sure some love and attention would have sped things up. We have a clay soil. They do grow VERY VERY big so be careful where they are planted. Hope this is of help.