family holiday to tasmania

Discussion in 'General chat' started by jackie, Apr 1, 2006.

1. jackie

jackie Junior Member

My husband and I will be caravaning around Tasmania for 3 weeks with our two young children in April (8-26). We haven't been for 8 years but remember loving it. Have in the back of our minds that we may in next few years look at moving there. Would be interested in some ideas on towns to visit which have a community feel. Interested in an area with permaculture ideas, farmers markets, home schooling families, productive organic farms etc... You know the ideal place!!! We have a lot on the mornington peninsula where we live, however feel that we have positioned ourselves too close to Melbourne, being a large polpulation base which may be destablised as we go past peak oil production.

2. isalewis

isalewis Junior Member

tasmanian holiday

I also am travelling to Tasmania around those dates. however I would be interested to look at op shops gardens and local nurserys. i will travel from Devenport to Hobart then upto Cradle Mountain. I believe there are a lot of community towns down the midland Highway from Devenport to Hobart. Good luck and enjoy your trip Isa

3. heuristics

heuristics Junior Member

tassie

Jackie - half your luck, very envious....
    In the other posts on courses and stuff there are some posts from
    tomintaz

He's posted his phone number and other contacts - check out those posts.

There was a post about a swale workshop down that way too, that I thought sounded like something I would have loved to have jumped on a plane to see ....

4. living simple

living simple Junior Member

Touring Tassie

Hi Jackie,

Don't know if i can help, but just wanted to add my 2 cents worth!

I'm a local (30 minutes from Devonport) and i say you can't beat the north west coast!! A couple small 'community minded' towns which spring to mind are Sheffield/Barrington area, Gunns Plains (where i'm from!) - and especially Deloraine (very alternative, arty people). Another very small, close knit hippie community is Lorinna (although too cold in winter even for this born n bred Tasmanian!!)

Now IF i didn't live on the north west coast, the only other place in Tassie which appeals to ME is the Hobart region. Great city, open-minded people, lovely outlook, lots of variety (not to mention choice of shops!). Hounville, Kettering, Lachlan, etc.

Can't say i know of any good community towns down the Midland Highway, mostly just flat, dry, sheep paddocks? But maybe others can help out there???

Well, best of luck with your tour - if i can be of any more help let me know!

Cheers
    Lyn

5. isalewis

isalewis Junior Member

Re: Touring Tassie

Thanks Lyn what route would I take from Devenport down the Wsst coast I will taking my car and want to end up i Hobart by Thursday 14th. I have been to Deloraine and it is a lvoely place I stayed at the youth hostel there some years ago, I loved the flowers and the lush terraine. Cheers Isa

6. living simple

Touring Tassie

Hi Isa,

What date do you intend to leave Devonport? Are you trying to do the trip quickly or are you sightseeing and able to spend the entire time cruising?!

You have two options really.

1. Devonport head west to Burnie. Then turn left up Mount Street in Burnie and head towards a small community called Ridgley. Go through Ridgley, Highclere, Hampshire and follow the signs to Rosebery (you are on the Murchison Highway). From Rosebery go to Zeehan and then you're not far away from the beautiful Strahan! This is a winding road (aren't they all in Tassie!), but a good access (unless heavy snowfall!!).

2. If you are travelling all the way across the north west coast from Devonport right up to Stanley/Smithton/Marrawah district, then you can take what they call the 'link (western explorer) road'. This is also a winding road, very gravelly and in most parts, not very scenic (unless you like THICK bush!). More isolated and you do have to cross a car ferry at Corinna (very cute though!).

So, there are your options. I'd allow myself a good day to get from Devonport to Strahan (if you're on a quick trip), then another day to get from Strahan to Hobart (4 1/2 hours roughly?).

Hope this makes sense, pick my brain if further info needed! Anyone else jump in too if i've not made sense!

Cheers
    Lyn

7. isalewis

isalewis Junior Member

Re: Touring Tassie

Ta Lyn however as I am travelling alone and not tooooo ken on isolated routes Is there a way to go through DEloraine across to Launceston then down the west cost to Hobart or am i trying to do too much in 1 and a half days. I arrive on a wed early morning and need to be at Hobart on Thursday evening. Cheers Isa

8. jackie

jackie Junior Member

family holiday to Tasmania

Dear Lyn,

Thanks for the ideas on places to look at. Have had a little google serch on them and they do look interesting.

Gunns Plains sounds good. Seems to be some interesting farming in the area. My husband will be interested in the caves I'm sure but I like the surface my self. Don't fancy taking a 2 and 5 yr old down them. The Goat farm will be interesting as my girls only drink goat milk and eat goat cheese. Your general store also sounds nice.
    See what you mean about Lorinna must be a very small community. The snow in the realestate pictures is a good winter temperature indicator. Deloranie looks well loved as a town. Is it a busy hub? Seems to be in busy spot. Sheffield and Barrington: didn't find out much about them but sure I'll see abit in the the weeks to follow.

Our itinery is very flexible. Arrive Sunday morning on Ferry with caravan in tow, have no ajenda for 3 weeks. Figure anti clockwise as went other way 8 years ago. My husband likes the look of north west due to the soil quality. My concern is the plantations wouldn't want to end up looking at desimated landscapes. Houn Valley also looks nice.

Weather seems to have turned cold hope to see some autumn sun. Need to have regular park stops.

Any good farmers markets etc on this Sunday up there? Or over the Easter Weekend?
    Do caravan parks book out over Easter we generally don't travel with an itinery?

Thanks Jackie

9. living simple

Travelling Tassie

Hi Isa,

Is there a certain reason you want to travel the West Coast?? A particular town?? It would be much easier since you are heading east from Deloraine - Launceston, to travel down the 'absolutely beautiful' East Coast. From St Helens right down to Hobart would be a great trip. This would be achievable in a day and a half! Otherwise i think you would be doing way too much back-tracking to go Deloraine - Launceston, then Launceston all the way back to the West Coast. You really still have to come all the way back to Burnie or you'll miss the West Coast entirely trying to cut throught the middle of Tassie from Launceston! I wouldn't be sure you'd even do it in 2 days and you wouldn't see much if you did!!

Hope this makes sense Isa, good luck with your travels and keep asking questions!

Cheers
    Lyn

10. living simple

Touring Tassie

Hi Jackie!

Glad you were able to find some info on the areas i mentioned! Yep, i agree - Gunns Plains is great! You will love Mathom Goat Farm and i'm sure your hubby will find the caves amazing. o.k, so i'm a little biased! There is a spot you can park your van at called 'Bannons Park' - right on the Leven River. It says 'no camping', but everyone does and it is quiet and has toilets. If you need a cuppa stop, you are more than welcome to drop in at our place - although let us know since April is pretty hectic for us (especially weekends) and as a note, we have a rough 2km gravel driveway! But the offer is there . . .

Lorinna is definitely for those 'wanting to get away from it all' - and can handle the temperatures.

I love Deloraine. You're right! - the little town is a busy hub - great place to sit back and 'people watch'! You get everyone from typical farmers, full-on hippies, to tourists and town locals. They have a veggie shop which sell just organic produce (which always impresses me!) and a fantastic health food store as well. Lots of little bakeries and a nice picnic setting along the Meander River. Too cute!

Here is a link for Sheffield: https://walkabout.com.au/locations/TASSheffield.shtml
    You will quickly find that it's main claim to fame is 'The town of Murals', and although it sounds boring - it really is fascinating to see just how many there are in a small town - and the quality of artistry! Worth a drive.

Well, i agree with your hubby about the north west coast! The soil is fantastic here (best potato ground in Australia! And lots of dairy farmers - good soil produces good feed for the best cattle!) Great rain-fall (it's actually pouring as i speak!) and usually good temperature as you get closer to the ocean. When looking for property to purchase, I also had concerns about plantations. The benefit of Tassie being so hilly is that plantations can be only a few km's away, but you can't see them for the hills! Not a great solution, but better than staring you in the face. There are areas which are more 'planted out' than others.

Yes, the weather has turned cold since Saturday night!! We had a frost Sunday morning! The temp today (Wednesday) is meant to be a high of 17 degrees - wooopeee! Same for the rest of the week. Also meant to be windy - brrrrr. I'll keep my fingers crossed for some sun - but pack those winter woollies!

1st and 3rd Saturday of every month
    Burnie Farmers' Market
    Buy the freshest and best local produce.

Wynyard Farmers Market
    Wynyard Showgrounds 2nd & 4th Saturday, 9am - 12pm

Deloraine Showgrounds Market
    Lake Hwy, Deloraine 1st Saturday, 9am - 1pm

The above is the only local farmers markets that i know of (as well as the Salamanca Markets in Hobart!), but if you're wanting to have a great day out and get some organic veggie's in the process then i would drop into the Penguin Market open Sat and Sundays!

https://www.penguinmarket.com/

Jackie, i tried to book some accommodation at a caravan park a couple months ago (cabins) for Easter (on the East Coast of Tassie) and there was NOTHING available. Not sure about the North West, but i'd say it would be very similar. Popular time to get away. There are quite a few free park spots about - might be the only option!

Well, i've just realised that i've written an essay! Hope all your plans work out and you travel safe. Let me know if you need extra info!

Cheers
    Lyn

11. jackie

jackie Junior Member

Dear Lyn,

Thanks for the Essay lots of great tips. Sounds like Easter could be an issue we had better develop a little bit of an itinerary and think about booking somewhere. So far plan on spending much of next week Sun- ? in north west area. Sounds like the penguin market might be the go. Can go on Sunday when we arrive. After all can't bring my own veges over. Am busy cooking an enormous casserole to freeze so some meals will be easy and wholesome.

We'd be happy to pop by for a cuppa if both schedules matched up. Will have mobile but not computer with us.

Have spent the last couple of days clothes shopping. Rose (5) and Violet (2) have grown out of everything wintery including shoes. Must say they are glad not to be shopping to day. Enjoying home.

In reply to your great rainfall. I don't every remember it being so dry here. Ducks wade in the dam as there's not enough water to swim and we have cracks in the driveway you could almost disappear down. Gary (hubby) says mice use them to breed in and I believe him. Never had so many mice in the house. They're going to have a party whilst we're gone.

Feeling close to ready to go Gary just finished the chook shed/mansion, they'll move in tonight. Will make it manageable as will only need checking every couple of days rather than the little shed they were in which required letting them out mornings and locking up at dusk. Would have been too big a job to expect of mum and there's nothing like a dead line to get a job you've been planning for years done in a week!

How are the pumpkins?
    Love Jackie

12. living simple

Touring Tassie . . .

Dear Jackie,

Can't believe it's not raining in Vic! It has only really started here this week, but already it feels like forever!!! Winter is gonna be really long if it's started this early : ( Must say that the grass is looking greener already though and that's a nice sign. Obviously very dry where you are - be prepared for Tassie - bring good blankies for the bed!

Sounds like you are nearly prepared for the 3 week journey. Love the sound of your chook mansion! We are hoping to build one either over winter or next summer - argghhh - too many projects, not enough time!

If you would like to catch up whilst travelling my mobile is 0429 191 337 or home is 03) 6429 1128. I can give you directions, but be aware that we live a pretty alternative life, and our road is quite rough (not sure you'd wanna bring a caravan down the rough track?) though we could meet at the beginning of our driveway and i could bring u in.

Well Jackie, have a great time with your family . . .

Love
    Lyn

13. Tezza

Tezza Junior Member

AHHHHHHHH tassie

We cant wait....After my recent trip around aussie and missing out on visiting tassie,My wife and i are really looking forwards to our Visit starting first week in October,We are mobile homing it,wanting to go south and visit The old growth forests,like the gorden /franklin river ,also the south east coast near Port arthur,we have 3 weeks to travel around,and am looking so much to our holiday,as itll be our first proper holiday in our allmost,buy october our 31 year of marrage..

Would love to meet or visit with anyone,its just my wife and I

Tezza

14. joan

joan Junior Member

Yes, I agree with you that you have written an essay. Anyways, I bet you had a great time shopping at the local farmer's market with your friends.
    *:D