Homegrown rabbits

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by ho-hum, Mar 11, 2006.

1. ho-hum

ho-hum New Member

I have had and eaten rabbits. It is not easy in the dry hot tropics but we did ok. I was always concerned that the mozzies were stressing them a bit and flyscreen would have reduced the cool.

Have planned a purpose rabbit area for the 'new place'.

Anyway.. found a site with a bit of rabbit info and some lovely general information. Nice reading ... https://www.pathtofreedom.com/pathproject/simpleliving/rabbits.shtml

Cheers

2. Tamandco

Tamandco Junior Member

If the mozzies get to domestic rabbits around here they're likely to get Myxo!!!

3. Tezza

Tezza Junior Member

After a month on the Road around aussie Ive come home to Free ranging Rabbits in my garden...Isnt that wonderful news...So easy to do permaculture it does it itself...

Anyone for rabbit stew or Yabby Pie

Tezza

4. heuristics

heuristics Junior Member

There was an item on Landline this Sun (March 12) about the growing rabbit industry.
    Footage of another factory farm (huge shed stuck away in a hillscape) (not sure exactly where, think Vic).
    Lots of "gorgeous" white rabbits all in cages being fed and weighed to get nicely fat for slaughter.
    While the woman running it talked about meeting Oz standards and us requiring larger cages for the rabbits and fewer rabbits per cage than in Europe, I couldn't help but think how awful it all is ---- another animal has is now to be commodified and turned into just another production unit.

5. dryland dweller

dryland dweller Junior Member

It will wnd up just like the meatbird and egg trade not at all good long term
    Before the calisy (sp) virus I had a pair and housed them in a big pen and took the young once they where large enough and what I couldnt use I changed for cash or goods that were needed....I could never go to those extremes they showed on landline
    Pete

6. Richard on Maui

Richard on Maui Junior Member

Anyone seen that Micheal Moore film about Flint, Michigan after the car manufacturer moved out of town, where he interviews the woman who raises rabbits as a means of supporting herself in the depressed economy? Of course, she was busted for violating some local bylaw and was shut down... Her small scale farming trip was pretty cool though. I just loved her down to earth descriptions of the whole process. Oh yeah, its called Roger and Me I think, Roger being the CEO of the car maker...