home hint hel wanted - bench top problem

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by gardenlen, Mar 10, 2006.

1. gardenlen

gardenlen Group for banned users

g'day,

well like i often say "i don't know everything & may very well not know anything hey :) ".

so here goes the bench top relatively new version where we are staying has marks on it (probably from a hot saucepan) that won't come off so:

yours truely got to with a warn sponge/scourer pad using the worn scour side rubbed lightly to see if mark would dissappear :?

well it did didn't it?? yeh right into the now glossless patch where the semi-gloss finish is now missing, does it look better :?: you bet it doesn't it looks worse, so fearing being keel hauled or made to walk the plank :oops: .

does anyone have a suggestion as to how i can return the semi-shine and get rid of the hot saucepan marks as well :idea: ???? :shock: :? :(

oh the bench top is a very dark charcoal lightly marbeled looking thingy. it is probably some sort of timber coated with this finish dunno???? :?: :!:

so tia

len :wink:

2. Bluerose

Bluerose Junior Member

If it is laminex you have removed the surface. so you would have to paint it with a special laminex paint. If it has a pattern, you could try to cut and polish it with a fine grade car polish. If it is timber you can sand it back and repaint it or oil or wax it. There are non toxic alternatives. If it is that granite stone, it is difficult and I think would need grinding and repolishing.
    I googled and found a woodwork forum on kitchen bench surfaces (link is shown below) with some interesting snippets of info, but it is worth reading through the forum to get a variety of thoughts.
    https://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au ... 12300.html
    "...Tung oil is infinitely better as it comes from tung nuts and is natural, non toxic, sometimes known as china wood oil and is a constituent of most wood oils and is one of the most resilient finishes known...'
    "...an old timbercutter that they used to use paperbark - Melaleuca Leucadendron for butcher's blocks as it had natural anti-bacterial qualities. A close relative the Ti-tree-Melaleuca Alternifolia is used for oil production, this oil is prized for its anti-bacterial qualities....)

There is also a site called https://www.benchdoctors.co.nz/ You could try emailing them for advice.
    Bluerose

3. gardenlen

g'day bluerose,

modern bench tops are all made of this stuff in the av' home it is some sort of laminate with granite appearance so will try the low impact car polish just to semi gloss it up again.

ta

len :D

4. bazman

bazman Junior Member

Some car polishes have small amounts of grain to them so they can cut marks out, if I was doing this for a scratch on a car, I would use a cutter grain polish first then uses a polish to finish it.

I have all that type of stuff here Len if you want to save yourself some money. Give me a call or drop over.

It's not a chemical free polish by the way, but should work. I also have metal polish if you want to try that.

5. gardenlen

thanks baz,

now that's a top reason for a visit and cuppa hey?

the contract is moving along at the regular snails pace so settlement should be no later than the 18th of april earlier if we are lucky.

len :D