How / where can I get involved in permaculture in Sydney?

Discussion in 'Jobs, projects, courses, training, WWOOFing, volun' started by the slow coach, Feb 23, 2006.

1. Hello all

I'd like to know where I can get my hands dirty in Sydney?!

I am looking for opportunities to be a regular volunteer to learn more about permaculture design & agriculture.

I am also looking for a Permaculture Design Course in Sydney.

All contacts, possibilities, ideas welcome!

Look forward to joining in soon ...

Em

2. Geoff Lawton

Geoff Lawton Administrator Staff Member

Sydney courses

Contact Penny Pyett on [email protected] for a good permaculture course teacher in Sydney and a contact for the North Sydney Permaculture group.

Cheers Geoff

3. Thank you!

Geoff

Thanks for that - I have emailed Penny and already have a reply with all the info.

For others interested, here is the relevant info from Penny's reply:

Permaculture North meets on the 3rd Monday of every month at the Ku-ring-gai senior citizens centre 259 Pacific highway Lindfield. Just next to the library. We usually have a guest speaker at these meetings which start from 7pm - 10.30pm. We have a large busy group of around 150 members so we have seven activity teams members can choose from to join a particular activity they want to get involved in. The Teams include: Craft; Education; Gardening; Communications; Fundraising; Policy and shows. If you would like a leaflet / membership form or just more info please feel free to contact our Secretary above or myself. [PM me for details]

Courses - I teach a 9 day Introductory Course at Ryde College of Tafe as well as a PDC in July. I would be happy to talk to you further about these courses or you can ring the College on 94486 301. If you are new to permaculture i strongly recommend you do an intro course first. [PM me for Penny's contact info]

See you there!

Emma

4. hugh

hugh Junior Member

Permaculture in Sydney would be great.

Hi Geof.

I am also interested in organising or starting a community garden in sydney too but I do know where i can get access to land to start it. I guess my starting point is to get people who are interested to join me, I live in the heart of the city btw, and then we would take things from there.

I wouild love an opportunity to grow organic fruits and vegies as well as flowers.

Any ideas?

Ta

5. Getting Started with a Community Garden, Sydney CBD

Hi Hugh

Since I posted my request, I've moved back to the UK, but I know where you could look for a bunch of like-minded people, many of whom would probably be interested in getting some organic growing started in the CBD! It's the Sydney LETS (Local Energy Trading Scheme) Group.

They meet for Trading Days once a month at The Factory Community Centre, 67 Raglan St in Waterloo. Mtg dates etc can be found at:

https://www.lets.1337.as/sydney/

Don't be put off by the clunky site as it's not kept up-to-date. Also, only a small core go to the Trading Days, but there are lots of members and they trade quite significantly amongst themselves. Communication tends to happen more via the yahoo group, which you can subscribe to by emailing:

[email protected]

I was a member for over a year while in Sydney, and furnished my apartment via LETS offerings, and got fantastic business advice from a member, all for LETS instead of dollars! So, they are an active bunch very much in favour of organics, permaculture etc.

Hope this helps - and if you have any problems getting people, or want any other ideas / possibilities, just let me know and I'll see what else I can offer.

Em

P.S. Although the permaculture group mentioned earlier in this post is north shore, there's bound to be a CBD / Eastern Suburbs / Inner West groups.

6. hugh

hugh Junior Member

thanks for the info The Slow Couch.

I guess my biggest problem is where to get a piece of land.

How do I go about approaching people and whom do I approach about these issues?

7. Richard on Maui

Richard on Maui Junior Member

8. Richard on Maui

Richard on Maui Junior Member

https://www.communitygarden.org.au/

now why didn't that work the first time, eh? :lol:

look on the left sidebar (or whatever it is called), fourth heading down is "starting a community garden"... that should put you on a faster track.