Worming my way into permaculture - A query from Lithgow NSW

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by TriciaM, Feb 11, 2003.

1. TriciaM

TriciaM Junior Member

I am a lone person just moved into a property where the clay soil is badly damaged, degraded and overgrown with weeds.

I have purchased a worm farm from the local council
    (minus the worms).

Have searched Yellow Pages and the nearest supplier appears
    to be at Cowra NSW. I can catch a bus there.

The supplier quoted $22 per 1000 worms.

QUESTIONS:
    Is this fair price

Will 1000 be enough to start off

Will I be able to sustain the worms with my everday veg/fruit/garden clippings

Would anyone be willing to pass on some invaluable tip for keeping the worms healthy through winter. (-5 degrees some mornings)

2. Marika

Marika Junior Member

The price sounds fair to me, but I haven't bought them b4.

About keeping them warm, how about putting them in a greenhouse, hot house? Do u have one? I am building a simple one at the moment out of fairly cheap & easily sourcable materials. Let me know if u r interested in that.

I want to know more of worms too!

3. Mont

Mont Junior Member

Tricia I've had a small worm farm for a couple of years and starting with 1000 worms was enough for mine. I've bunged it under the back porch so it's out of direct sun and rain. Herbs have grown in front of it so it's a bit inaccessible and I have to admit I don't feed them very often. When I lift the lid though I see them still finishing the last lot I gave them - they're not as quick as I imagined they would be. I think your own scraps will be enough for them. I put 90% of my scraps in a separate large compost bin. I save the sweet stuff like fruit for the worms. They don't like citrus or the onion/garlic family.
    With the clay soil, adding a bit of gypsum or lime can help. You can also decide to build up over the clay with soil of better quality, so you don't have to wait till the clay has been transformed before getting on with planting.

4. TriciaM

TriciaM Junior Member

Dear Marika
    I thought initially some carpet or shadecloth over top.
    The greenhouse is a good multipurpose idea; however I have other priorities at the moment. (Interior of house painted pink throughout with hideous dark brown doors and skirting boards. Brown carpet pitted with cigarette burns etc etc.)

Regards TriciaM

5. TriciaM

TriciaM Junior Member

Dear Mont
    Alas no porch or similar protection as yet.
    I’ve erected the contraption between back steps and Vulcan hot water tank. If it smells I’ll move it to N/E corner of yard.
    Apart from 1000’s of cigarette buts, plastic caps and similar non-degradable stuff, the clay soil has another problem – a layer of sharp black heavy glassy stones about 4 cm below surface so building up over the clay with a better quality soil looks like the only way to go.

Also because all surrounding properties have dogs the local cats use my property as a toilet. Are their droppings okay? If not is there anything I can plant to discourage them?

Regards TriciaM

6. Marika

Marika Junior Member

I have read that Wormwood repels animals & is a good border plant. It & garlic R good companions to apples, giving the apple protection from coddling moth.

Before planting though, it is a good idea to check out what wormwood's bad companions are...I'w sure I've read it somewhere but can't find it now..I'll let u know if I find it, otherwise, anyone else?

A non organic method of repeling cat's & dog's from gardens is napthalene flakes, but only if u r desperate huh?

With the warming the worms, see if the sides of the farm need insulation too, as well as the top. -5 sounds bloody chilly!!
    :D

7. Mont

Mont Junior Member

Tricia/Marika,

Wormwood is supposed to be a bad companion for (I quote from 'Companion Planting in Australia') 'all other plants' because of 'toxic root excretions that harm plants growing near it'. It is supposed to repel fleas, moths, mozzies, slugs, mice,etc. I grew it in a large pot sitting in the middle of our side lane to help repel the neighbour's cat that had to pass or jump it. Didn't work, but neither did pepper and chili where it used to shit, nor even a high lattice I had built around its possible points of entry to my garden. Cats - God love em. I'm thinking an organic bullet might do the trick. As for their droppings, Jackie French reckons they can't be used on gardens - any more than dog or human manure - because we share too many diseases and parasites with them.

8. TriciaM

TriciaM Junior Member

Dear Marika and Mont

According to Bill Mollison (Permaculture II) Wormwood is good because it grows quickly, is hardy, cheap, and a survivor -
    I'll try that with a Napthaline and pepper `chaser'.
    Also, I'll write to the Australian Herb Society in Mapleton QLD and ask their advice. There must be some herb/plant that will deter the liddle darlins.

Regards TriciaM

PS. Does anyone know the pros and cons of Silky Willows?
    Are they a menace around pipes/drains? I have one growing outside my bedroom window.

9. Marika

Marika Junior Member

I heard the same that u can't use cat poo, I hope I haven't done the wrong thing as I have mixed 10yo rotted cat poo into my autumn plot, I thought it would b ok cause it is so old, anyone tell me?

10. TriciaM

TriciaM Junior Member

THE OWL AND THE PUSSY CAT!

Dear Marika
    According to Bill Mollison in Permaculture II p25 quote:
    `Catmint (Nepenthes) has a fatal attraction to cats. A friend of mine once kept a powerful owl in a large-mesh cage. It ate the cats which came to kill it. Thus catmint plus owls may prove a lethal combination for cats.' unquote!

Well - what do you think of that?

Has anyone an owl to spare?

Best wishes TriciaM

11. Mont

Mont Junior Member

Powerful owls - whose numbers are supposed to be dropping - eating the plentiful cat: what a wonderful permaculture solution!

12. BlueDogsBark

BlueDogsBark Junior Member

Jackie French reckons they can't be used on gardens - any more than dog or human manure - because we share too many diseases and parasites with them. (Quote from above)

On the subject of poo one can refer to an exellent book called The Humanure Handbook. You can read a sample if you follow this link. Humanure Handbook

13. Jeff Nugent

Jeff Nugent Junior Member

Tricia,
    In the end you will find the right combination for your situation. You may have a few hicups along the way. Put just about anything organic in there. Cat poo and all. (Avoid citrus peels though.)
    A friend was keeping a large, semi industrial rotating worm farm. His biggest problem was feral cats going through the wastes before the worms. Solution: A cat trap to convert cat into worm castings.
    I assume that the worms you are getting are red wrigglers or a similar manure worm. I think you will do best to add a fair bit of animal manure to keep them very active. (Human or other). Add some carbon based materials at the same time: shredded cardboard, sawdust, etc.
    As the weather gets cool they will definitely slooow doooowwwnnn. Just let the heap get bigger until they kick in with the warm.
    My only worm farm is my compost toilet. :;):

14. TriciaM

TriciaM Junior Member

D Day or should I say W(orm) Day tomorrow

Thanks guys for all your invaluable advice.
    I'll definitely follow it to the letter, which ensures that these little wriggling blighters will be spoiled rotten!

I layed a four sq. meter plot of sheet mulch yesterday and planted my herbs straight in. Instead of lucerne I purchased some organic Tea Tree clippings and the backyard smells absolutely glorious.
    A host of minute insects are already hovering over it - - -

Re cats: I'll let you know if the Australian Herb Society comes up with any new solution.
    Thanks again
    Owl be in touch
    TriciaM