Preserving Pan

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by aussiebottler, Feb 1, 2006.

1. aussiebottler

aussiebottler Junior Member

Hello All,

Can anyone please, please tell me where I can purchase a jam making pan :cry: I cannot beleive that in Australia we no longer make preserving/jam pans. We have a wonderful old hardware store in Ballarat that if you are having problems replacing parts on older Pressure Cookers Etc he usually has them. I asked if he could get a Preserving pan for me, the answer was that since we no longer manufacture things in Australia, he does not have any idea where I could get one from.

What a sorry state of affairs that as a country we can no longer produce the things that we use. What are we doing? We are having to support the economies of other countries because everything has been moved offshore because now it is all about the mighty dollar.

Well all the Multi Nationals please take note: At the end of it all if all the jobs are going overseas and the earning capacity of Australians is diminished then where do we get the money to purchase the items that are being made overseas and not in this country. And believe me that day will come, and where are your profits then?

The answer is Australians stand up for yourselves and try not to buy "Made Overseas or Imported From or made from Imported Ingredients" This is getting harder and maybe that is why so many of us are now resorting to growing and preserving our own fruit and vegetables. Well I feel better now that is off my chest.

Anyone else feel the same?

Cheers for Now
    Elsie :)

2. SueinWA

SueinWA Junior Member

Oz is just like the U.S. The Stupid U.S.A. (aka S.U.S.A.) does something that makes no sense at all, and all the other industrialized countries follow suit. And the citizens let them.

Here we have a chain that (I think) hasn't gotten it's foot in the door in Australia (yet), called Wal-Mart. Most of the people in the U.S. think WalMart is wonderful, because of the low prices. Well, they're low for a reason: low wages, short hours, little med care, their products are junk, and they only buy made-here if they can't get it in China, Thailand, Taiwan, etc. Even brand-name goods are lower quality, as they have a reputation for screwing their suppliers by constantly making claims that the goods arrived short or damaged, etc. The suppliers seem to be trying to compensate for the loss by sending them second-quality goods, like watered-down shampoos, and stuff with shoddy workmanship.

People are educated to be sheep, good consumers and good employees. It seems to be beyond most people to actually THINK, and follow a problem back to it's source.

Back to your jam-making pan. Can you post a site that has a photo? Maybe it's called something else, too.

And if you have fruit to make jam, keep in mind that maybe a lot of people near you would LOVE to buy Aussie-made jam!

Sue

3. living simple

living simple Junior Member

preserving pan

Hi aussiebottler,

I would love to know how you go with purchasing your 'jam pan'. As i am quite new to gardening and preserving i have noticed that i need a huge stock pot to cook my relish and jams in! (I do double batches). At the moment i am using a large enamel pot which i constantly have to watch so my ingredients don't burn to a crisp! I am finding it hard to purchase a 25-30L good quality, solid base, stock pot here in Tassie. Is this the same thing you are talking about or is there another item which is better for making jam in??

Good luck,

Cheers
    Lyn

4. SueinWA

SueinWA Junior Member

Lyn, have you tried a business that sells restaurant supplies? Or maybe a better deal if there is a restaurant going out of business and selling their contents.

That thin bottom is a real nuisance for long cooking!

Sue

5. living simple

Preserving

Thanks Sue!

I didn't think about old restaurant stock! I did check out one restaurant supply business which i may have to eventually purchase from - it's just that they were soooo expensive! I hope in their case it is 'you get what you pay for!!'

Best keep saving those pennies,

Thanks for your reply,

Cheers
    Lyn

6. Tamandco

Tamandco Junior Member

Aussie Bottler,

Try posting you question on Aussies Living Simply https://www.aussieslivingsimply.com.au/news.php

They've got a great section on old style cooking, recipes, etc, and someone might have the answer.

Hope to see you there!

Tam

7. Jez

Jez Junior Member

Lyn,

We lived in Tassie until recently and had exactly the same problem... :lol:

We ended up getting one from a woman who had a business in Launceston eventually...I'll try and get the contact details or some more info for you.

8. living simple

Hey Jez,

That would be fantastic - any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Lyn

9. spritegal

spritegal Junior Member

Try the Bargain Shopper's Guide to Melbourne - it should list a few commercial cookery equipment suppliers at discount prices. Commercial cookware is the best - and it pays for itself in the long run. A lot of cookware outlet stores have twice yearly and end-of-model sales.

cheers

SG

10. Rob6014

Rob6014 Junior Member

I have seen them at the Ballarat Sunday market at the showgrounds. I used to have one, but they are made of aluminium and were not all that good for making jam, because it always stuck and burned on the bottom. There is a catering supplies shop in town - opposite Medicare in the city. I bought a good quality, heavy-based stainless steel stock-pot from there, and it has been very useful. Cost $100+, but well worth the investment. (Will last forever etc). I use mine all the time, and if you really get into preserving (making apple or quince pastes, rendering down tomatoes, making jam, preserving figs, boiling the Christmas pudding...) you will find it is worth the outlay over and over again. You might also try Vinnies, or any of the other Op shops - ring them and ask if they will call you if one comes in. Also fowlers bottles. If you are making lots of jam and preserves, then Natures Cargo sells 20 kilo bags of white sugar and 5 litre containers of vinegar as well as bread-making stuff in large quantities. They are a wholesale food place. Go in and ask for a catalogue of the stuff they sell. They are next to Peaches in Wendouree. Have fun!

11. aussiebottler

Hello All,

Thankyou for all the good ideas, Rob6014 I did have a look in the Catering supply shop, I am fairly new to making jans and pickles. I have read that the pan needs to be wide and shallow so that the liquid boils off the jam quicly and does not caramelise and turn the jam dark. I remember that my grandmother had one that had a swinging handle that went from one side to the other and a handle one the back so that you could pour the jam from the pouring lip on the other side.

SueinWA I think that what I am talking about is called a Maslin Pan in America, I contacted a supplier there but the cost of postage was to high. If all else fails I do what Rob6014 suggested and buy a stainless steel stockpot.

If I find a supplier I will definately let every one know. Someone at work today suggested that I try the foundry at Sovereign Hill as they make cookware.

Cheers for Now
    Elsie :)

12. SueinWA

SueinWA Junior Member

Wow! Those things are expensive!

A thought: I don't know what Oz has, but here we have little "newspaper" that are nothing but classified ads, people advertising what they have to sell or give away, and others are looking for certain things. Perhaps you could place a ad: "WANTED - Jam making pan of heavy steel, reasonable."

Two recent ones here: "Due to coming end of the world, I must sell my Harley Davidson motorcycle, $10,000" & "Free string. Just drag it and one of our darling kittens will follow you home".

Note on the aluminum pans: there is a theory that acidic contents (like tomatoes) cooked in aluminum helps to contribute to Alzheimer's Disease. The same on eating baking powder that contains alumuminum.

Sue

13. mariet

mariet Junior Member

preserving pan

I have just made a batch of mulberry jam and wonder if the pan I used contributed to what you described as dark liquid. It seemed to go a bit lumpy and dard. Still beautiful in Meredith Sheeps milk yogurt for breakfast.
    I have made a very big attempt not to support the supermarkets and to buy local as often as I can. Mind you, we're a long way from being able to avoid them altogether. I go to the Buninyong market once a month and buy my soap, shampoo, olive oil (cold pressed, extra virgin, locally grown and for only a dollar or so more than imported), bread, coffee beans and any face creams,etc. Also all my yogurt, goats cheese. Fantastic people selling local produce. Balmers blend comfrey products as SO FABULOUS, wonderful smelling things that you could just about eat and really good prices. I also get wheat for the chooks and sometimes wine. I feel really good about supporting local people in their business and its so nice to know them as well. I try to get as many clothes as I can 2nd hand. It's just incredible how easily we also slip into being big consumers. I think if we all make a big effort to support the local small businesses like the hardware shop it's worth the extra bit we may have to pay. As you say, if there are no Australian industries left how will we go when we can't import!! Stupid isn't it?

14. Rob6014

Rob6014 Junior Member

Mariet, we visit most of the local markets - getting up to the Talbot market is WELL worth the effort - but we had heard that the Bunninyong market was not very good. If they sell cheese and wine - we will be there! When is it on next?

15. aussiebottler

Hi All,

When is the Talbot Market, I have heard that it is a good market but not sure when it is. How often do they have the Bunninyong Market? Can you buy fresh fruit and veggies there as well and did you buy your Mulberries there? I have tried to strike a cutting from a local Mulberry tree but alas I do not have the touch. I also beleive that at the right time of the year you can also buy fruit trees from the Talbot market.

I think that I will just keep checking out garage sales and markets until I can fins a suitable pot that is large enough for the jam making. Thanks to everyone for their imput.

16. Jez

Jez Junior Member

G'day Lyn,

I don't know if this will help at all, but it turns out we got a 22L commercial grade for $115 in 2004 (bigger ones available apparently) from:

Pots And Pans
    40 Oldaker Street
    Devonport
    6424 4393

You've probably already tried them seeing you're on the NW coast...I thought we got it from Launceston but apparently not.

Best of luck finding something. :)

17. Rob6014

Rob6014 Junior Member

18. bella

bella Junior Member

How big does the pot need to be? I don't know what a jam pan is...

I love my large Kinox pot. It's stainless steel with handles on each side. It's wider and shorter than a stock-pot, but fits nicely on the larger burner/hotplate of a stove. It's been used almost daily for 12 years or so, was an engagement gift. We use it for pasta, rice, potatoes, steaming vegies (has another same-size steamer thingy for the top) etc.

I use it for bulk cooking vegie soup, pasta sauce etc and that simmers for ages without burning.

I also use it for my jams and marmalades and they don't stick or turn brown. A worthwhile investment (thank you Nonna, RIP)...

Bel

19. mariet

mariet Junior Member

preserving pan

The Buninyong market is on the third saturday of each month. The Talbot market is on the third Sunday of each month but for Jan it was on the second. Not sure if this is to be an ongoing thing. I haven't made it to the Talbot market yet but it is supposed to be great. At Buninyong they have just one winery, and one cheese, Meredith goat's cheese and sheep's milk yogurt. Perhaps it suits me because I really like what they have to sell. I didn't get my mulberries there. I have some friends who have surplus each year and give me some frozen mulberries which I make into jam. Yum :razz:

20. aussiebottler

Yahoo,
    I bought a fantastic Preserving Pan at an Auction today, and with it was a huge Aluminium camp teapot/kettle. I only paid $17.00 for the two of them, what a bargain and the pan is like new, and the kettle/teapot can go on the woodstove in winter to heat water for the dishes etc. A saving all round, this is one happy person.

:D :D :D :D :D :D