Anyone know where to buy rubber seals for swing top jars??

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by billybuttongirl, Jan 27, 2006.

1. billybuttongirl

billybuttongirl Junior Member

You know those swing top glass jars you find in op shops? They are usually the Le Parfait brand. I'm using them to store dehydrated food in (dried strawberries are lovely). But i need new seals for many jars i find. Maybe thats why they are being thrown out in the first place.....

I've tried jar wholesalers, hardware stores, homewares, kitchen equipment places. No luck at all. I do know there is something called the Bay Tree in NSW but am hoping to avoid postage costs.

If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know, i'd be so grateful.

cheers,
    Billybuttongirl

2. Batz

Batz Junior Member

I have bought them at Kmart

3. billybuttongirl

Thanks Batz! I will check it out.

4. gardenlen

gardenlen Group for banned users

g'day billybuttongirl,

we get ours from woolies. check the bigger hardware stroes also

len :D

5. Tamandco

Tamandco Junior Member

Billybuttongirl,

I've got some FV swing top bottles which are pretty much identical. I've seen them at Mitre 10 which stocks FV accessories.

Tam

6. billybuttongirl

Really? MItre 10? I even went to the huge one in Ringwood a few weeks ago and found nothing next to the Fowlers gear! Maybe one has to ask...

But i have found some! Thankyou to everyone and their suggestions. I found some at one of the kitchenware stalls at the Victoria Market. But i will need more in the future and will remember all you suggestions, thankyou!

Billybuttongirl

7. Tamandco

Tamandco Junior Member

Try ringing Fowlers Vacola direct. They'll be happy to mail out anything you need. Initially when I contacted them they directed me to Mitre 10 so I get what I can from there, but for other things I go to FV directly.

FOWLERS VACOLA AUST PTY LTD
    Preservation Equipment & Xmas Puddings
    Presrvtn Eqpment/Xmas Puddings 23 -25 Racecourse Rd North Melbourne 3051 (03) 9329 7799
    Fax (03) 9329 9899

8. billybuttongirl

oops, i think a bit of misreading on my part has occurred! (obviously too early in the morning!) The swing top jars i have are the quite wide mouth ones, whereas i assume the FV swing top bottles have relatively small rubber seals..?? They probably had the rubber seals for swing top FV bottles with the FV stuff in Mitre 10, but not the larger non-FV seals i'm after. FV don't sell those - i both rang them and then when i went in there last week for rings i showed them the rubber seal and they don't sell those. At least thats what i was told...

Billybuttongirl

9. Tamandco

Tamandco Junior Member

Sorry BBG, I was referring to the swing top bottles. The trouble with preserving is people call jars bottles and bottles jars, but you really were talking about jars! :oops:

I just figured out which ones you're referring to. (I think) I'm pretty sure True Value Hardware sells both the jars and the accessories. Our one up here (Warburton) will order in anything I want.

It's one of these, isn't it?

[​IMG]

10. billybuttongirl

Exactly!!!! thats it! confusion is easy - like Americans calling bottling canning.....

I will check True Value Hardware - the Mitre 10 guy in Upwey explained to me that Mitre 10 no longer had the capacity to buy those seals... but from what people have been posting its a matter of hunting around. I got 10 rings from the Vic market so hopefully that will last a while.

thankyou,
    Billybuttongirl