Free chicken food

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by Steve J., Dec 10, 2005.

1. Steve J.

Steve J. Junior Member

At the moment we have thousands of small brown beetles banging into the windows every night trying to get in to steal our light. The poor devils land on the deck in their hundreds, legs in the air on their backs, wriggling and spinning like tiny wind up toys. My little Niece collected the crunchy little insects in a jar on the guise of them being 'pets'. Early next morning I found her crouched in the dew laden grass feeding her 'pets' one at a time to Dave the Anarchist Chicken. Dave the Anarchist Chicken was loving it; she ate the entire 'pet' collection. Since then my niece has collected a bucket of 'pets' every night for Dave and Turkey (the duck). Free chicken food :D and the eggs are brilliant.

Nice to be back again after a wee break from the site to do some overdue hands on stuff (and for other reasons).

Steve

2. Cornonthecob

Cornonthecob Junior Member

:?: let me see if I have this right.....Dave's a chicken, and then there's Turkey, who happens to be a duck?? :?

It's almost like Willy Wonka....where anything can, and usually does, happens!

Love it!

:)

3. christopher

christopher Junior Member

Hi Steve,

Nice to see your name on the board after such a long absence.

We get the same sort of thing, every year. Beetles all over the place, (There goes Ringo :lol: )and at night we hang a white sheet next to the light, which attracts hundreds of them, and then we throw them into a bucket of water, where they either drown, or swim arounf all night long..

Next morning, off to the chookery, and, of course, massive boost in egg production!

Anyway, just wanted to say hello. The place seems empty without Tullymoor, so I'm going to go do something else tonight.

Best,

C

4. Steve J.

Steve J. Junior Member

Corny

It's a long story but yes you have it right, Willy Wonka (the original) is one of my very favorite films but that has nothing to do with the Dave the Anarchist Chicken and Turkey the ducks names, I like your thinking though :D .

Cwis me old' mucka, I always believed the 'corn/grain fed chicken' market could be easily taken over with a surgically implanted 'Bug fed chicken’ advertising campaign (featuring Ringo and Dave the Anarchist??)

Bug Fed Chicken is just so fricken
    fricken finger licking gooood
    Roaches beetles, crickets and ants
    make your taste buds do the chicken dance
    Slugs and snails, moths and flies
    tasty legs, wings, breast and thighs
    cause Bug Fed Chicken is just so fricken
    fricken finger licking gooood - yir harrrr

I'm seeing Banjo and washboard playing Hillbillies, with big old yellow mongrel dogs on a porch, Ringo and Dave the Anarchist doing the lyrics and an arrangement of barn dance style moves?? Gone to far again??

Steve

5. Cornonthecob

Cornonthecob Junior Member

Steve...the possibilities are endless!

:lol:

6. christopher

Stevie wevie, :heart: :rock: :heart: (in Queen Tullymoors absence, I am the chief emoticon abuser....)

You make a good down homey speal on behalf of the bug fed chooks. It has a nice sort of ring to it, and the banjo and washboard, I like weher you're going with this... In fact, I'd buy some, if I didn't have chooks of my own..

But, being something of a (frustrated, unaknowledged and gravely misunderstood) marketing genius, I really like the maggot fed chook eggs of a few months back (Gargun and Lolly, you have any ideas?), and I'm going to try to market that, too.

Flyblown chook feed is the best feed for the hens,
    They'll lay all day and then laya again,
    The carcass they eat make maggots a maggoty treat,
    And you cant hardly taste the maggots in the meat.

So flyblown carcasses are the way to go
    They help boost egg production you know,
    More than this sales pitch you should be trusting,
    Ask you chooks, they' say, yummy, not disgusting!

(I see a bunch of hens picking at a fly blown possum.. doing the Texas two step... maybe get the guys who do Wallace and Grommett to do the birds? You need to figure out what kind of music we need... something a bit, well, sophisticated.... sort of a big band sound with a sultry voiced woman singing....)

Well, we may be clever song writers (well, you certainly are.... :lol: ), but somehow I think our target market is pretty limited....

I know, we'll comission a study! We can find the pimps who touted the safety of Ruo.... um, some, um, well, unscrupulous "researchers" who will say whatever we tell them to say! We can have them say that chook meat and eggs raised on a diet of bugs and maggots has a higher level of Omega 3 oils, and increased nutrient levels. We'll hire some hacks to (and I like this term) surgically im"plant" our pro bug and maggot fed chook campaiign in newspapers and on TV... maybe the odd chat forum..

"My life has been so much better since I started eating chooks and eggs raised on a diet of bugs and maggots. I lost 10 lbs in only three weeks, and my husband saw really impressive results at the gym! I got a raise at my job, and I just have to say that the whole bug and maggot fed chook diet really improved my life! Thanks to Stevieweevies maggot and bug fed chhoks, my life is taking me places..."

(announcer voice) You, too can see all the benefits of a bug and maggot fed chook and egg diet. Call now, skeevy operators in a dingy little warehouse are wating to get your money! We guarantee results! If you are not completely satisfied, just return un used portions and we will refund a small percentage of the ACTUAL purchase price. You heard right, dissatisfied customers are %100 guaranteed to get pennies on the dollar, so act now!

If you are one of the first people to place an order in the next ten minutes, or even next ten weeks, we will also include, free, the exciting new book, "how to raise maggots for aquaponic ( :wav: ) fun and pleasure" ! ($15.99 SHIPPING AND HANDLING CHARGES APPLY TO BOOK)

(Subdued announcer voice at twice the speed of earlier speech) Aquaponics and the waving emoticons are trademarked and the intellectual property of Fly by Night enterprises, in Heretodaygonetomoorow, WA. Offer void where prohibited by law, some restrictions may apply. If itching, diarhea, nausea, sweating, heart palpatations, panick attacks or uncontrollable erections should occur, please contact a poison control center or a trained health care professional, immediately.....

Anyway, very, very nice to see you here! I hope you stick around.

Cwistofa (NOT related directly to Kwessi, though we are all brothers)

7. Steve J.

Steve J. Junior Member

Cwis

"if uncontrollable erections should occur,"

IF??? bloody big if my friend

I suspect our brains are joined at the hip Cwis!! You should sell up in Bone Fish Land and move to Cheese World where we can wear tartan safari suits and start a huge 'Marketing' company and get really really rich???

Na F#ck it I think the late night infomercial slot is past my bed time?

TV-Weave

8. ~Tullymoor~

~Tullymoor~ Junior Member

Stevie Wevie :heart: :rock: :heart:

The earth is back on it's axis...

:axe: :axe: :axe: :axe: :axe: :axe:

9. christopher

Steviw wevie, :heart: :rock: :heart:

Dang, you have exposed my marketing ploy, eat a maggot, put lead in yer pencil.... we'd make millions...

Tullymoor Dearest, Oh Great Queen of the Folly, Hunter of Tagas, Planter of Pigeon Peas, You Divine Axe wielding Pig Flying Sheila,...
    :love4: :love5: :love10: :love1: :love7:
    yay, tho it maketh my heart rejoiceth and sing to see you back, I fear that thou hath returned and may, perhaps, skedaddle off to other parts again! Oh, I beseech thee (in, frankly, my whiniest and most beseeching voice, totaly blowing any respect you might have for me.....), please, please, puh-leeeeeeze don't ever leave again! (OKAY, THE REST OF YOUSE PEOPLE, CLEAR OUT! PRIVATE MOMENT HERE!) I beg, I implore, I plead, I lay, prostrate at your feet, clutching your ankles with me face in the dust... (KC and the Sunshine Bands "Please Don't go" plays in back ground....) There was mostly meanness while you were gon, and it really sucked.... Stevie wevie :heart: :rock: :heart: saved the day, tho Tam :heart: washed herself in glory, too.....

Um, yes, uhum, not fluff here, in this serious thread, so, bravel we go, back to topic. So for anyone who is still here, after my request for a little private time w/Tullymoor: Has anyone rasied insects, other than maggots?

Cw

10. Steve J.

Steve J. Junior Member

I want a new Guitar, that red one is just not me - granted my Dobro is "Tabacoo Sunburst" colour - was that your work Cwis "Tobacoo Sunburst"??

Steve

11. ~Tullymoor~

~Tullymoor~ Junior Member

Tevie Wevie, my boy just picked up his new guitar and if I could bloodywell remember which particular model it is I'd post a pic. I do know that it's an ESP (is that good??) and that it's black cherry or sommat with mother of pearl bits and pieces and he's a bit excited about it all.
    His Mother, on the hand is not, because he lives in a unit, my unit, and he also bought himself a bloody great amp to go with it! Waiting for the letter from the body corporate :shock:

12. mossbackfarm

mossbackfarm Junior Member

Maggot enterprises, Inc, may have some intellectual property issues to resolve with this guy....

https://www.themodernhomestead.us/poultr ... otein.html

Our intern this last season was pretty excited to start growing maggots as chicken food for our layers. I had to veto at the time (on 'oooh, gross' principles, mostly), but now I might be willing to give it a go next summer.

When we were doing lots of meat chickens, the fall flies got pretty overwhelming. Since we scaled back on those, and have lots of swallows nesting on the farm, the flies are much more under control.....enough so that I can see, on a very trial basis, breeding the little buggers.

Where do I send my royalty check? :p

Rich

13. christopher

Stevie wevie, :heart: :rock: :heart:

Looks like we've been beat on the marketing, but he's not in production yet... I see a golden maggot sized loophole.

"Tobacco sunburst...:" Not my work. I wish only that my mind was subtle, supple and sublime enough to come up with that one. Not sure whgat the clour is, (orangeishbrown? with high lights?)but the name sure is evocative.

Rich, When we get into full production, mate, we will send you your cheque. You could even be our distributour in Oregon.... (where are youin Oregon?).

C

14. gargun

gargun Junior Member

:shock:

So that's it!!!

And I thought my uncontrollable erections were just because I'm a Kiwi :oops:

Note to self: Stop feeding maggots to chooks......HEY!!!...what am I saying??!!

Note to self: Feed MORE maggots to chooks!!! :lol:

Lolly my love!!!!! where are you sweetie??!! hehehe :twisted:

*rushes off to find Lolly* :wink:

Ray

15. mossbackfarm

mossbackfarm Junior Member

[anxiously awaits the cash rolling in....dreams of quitting day job....raising maggots for fun and profit ]

I'm outside of a little burg called Yamhill, about 70km SW of Portland. For all you tropicals and australs out there, it's been -8C the last few nights....Brrr.

Cheers

Rich