Is there much violence or crime in your area?

Discussion in 'General chat' started by Meridian, Dec 9, 2005.

1. Meridian

Meridian Junior Member

Hi all,

I was just reading about the violence and thuggery on and around Sydney's northern beaches along with the bashing of lifesavers. I know most people here live in more rural areas, so I was wondering do you see much violence or crime in whatever area you live? Do you ever feel unsafe? I've heard there is some problems in certain rural areas due to alcohol and unemployment, but I've never experienced any serious trouble around country Victoria (mainly East Gippsland).

My personal experience with visiting Sydney was that I was threatened a couple of times when I accidentally made eye contact, but I don't know if my experience was typical since I'm a bit small and so appear as somewhat of an easy target.

2. Richard on Maui

Richard on Maui Junior Member

Here in rural north shore Maui there is kind of a crime wave, kind of an underground civil war/independence struggle going on...
    More and more insanely rich people are moving here and buying their ocean view estates, which of course has the effect of driving property values so high that local people can't hope to own land in their ancestral home... So, they get f*&^ed up on drugs, and run around stealing anything that isn't bolted down...
    The community on which I live has suffered robberies at all hours of the day and night before and after we reluctantly took the steps of putting padlocks on the gates and sheds, and locking ourselves in at night...
    Recently some guys bailed up a dude at knife point recently and stole all his computer stuff. He had to remind them that they need the power cord to the laptop. At the same community a middle aged couple managed to talk another (maybe the same) knife wielder into going away empty handed, by pointing out that they only had $100, and asking him if $100 was really worth a felony charge... So, the violent crime is sort of good natured, but it is still a bit of a worry.

3. biofarmag

biofarmag Junior Member

Where I live is very safe. We don't lock the cars at home. We don't lock the house at night. We lock when we go out, but only because it seems the logical thing to do. Most of the farms never lock, and they leave keys on vehicles.

But in the town, it's a different matter. Much of the trouble is racially-based, sad to say.

Sydney, yes, agreed. It's quite creepy how the place has developed. I grew up there in the 70's, and never felt fear. I visited last year, and couldn't believe how much it had changed. I don't think it's natural or healthy for people to live so close to each other. And being away from nature, ie. soil, grass, trees and assorted green 'n' living stuff. People seem to lose their values.

4. kja

kja Junior Member

Where I live the situation is similar to biofarmag's with the excecption that I lock my car at night out of sheer force of habit. We get the once or twice annually car theft of housebreaking. A little bit of violence at the pub on Friday nights. Mostly Angry young man on angry young man. Not that I would know anything about that from past experience :oops:

The town where I work is a whole other kettle of fish. But I would imagine that any regional centre has a similar story to tell.

I also work with Juvenile offenders to make my living (no Im not getting any more specific than that :) ) and can speak with reasonable experience that race has no determining factor on offending behavior - environment, family life, education and community support do. Ditto recidivism.

Kim

5. biofarmag

biofarmag Junior Member

I used to get my car serviced at the local prison, until they discontinued this service to the public. The prison officer in charge of the autoshop was a qualified tradesman, and a thoroughly kind-hearted and decent bloke. He was putting a few prisoners through their apprenticeship, which meant that when they left.....they would leave as full tradesmen. I said to him once "I'm guessing that these blokes never get into any trouble here?". He said that yes, this was true. The major problem seemed to be a self-esteem thing. They generally had no skills whatsoever, other than criminal skills, and had absolutely nothing to feel good about themselves for. Real bloody shame. Get when you gave them something they could feel proud about, they became changed men. No doubt it all starts with them when they're kids, and this is where a large amount of effort should go.

Sadly there is a LOT of racially-based crap that happens in the major town near us. Not their faults, really. The generation of young aboriginals growing up (here) no longer has its elders to look up to, and to give them guidance. They feel frustration and anger, and the only role-models they have are the American rap, "slap mah ho, and shot a cop fo no reason at all!" stuff, which is very negative. Geees, I know I'm treading on thin ice here, and someone IF they felt vindictive could choose to misunderstand me and think I'm being racist.......but I'm not. I wish these confused young folk could get back in touch with their roots, and discover they have so many reasons to feel very proud. They came from compassionate and stable people, and don't know the first thing about it.

6. PeterM

PeterM Junior Member

My experience from Tokyo

Here’s my perspective from Japan.

I've lived in Tokyo for quite a few years and despite the very high concentration of people living in very close proximity to each other in an environment largely devoid of nature, the crime rate is incredibly low in relative terms. It is extremely safe here. Locals talk of a crime wave in recent years, but that is definitely more a matter of perception and Japan is still an incredibly safe place compared to Australia and the US.

I don't know why that is. Japan is very racially homogonous and there is a stronger sense of community here than you get in Western nations (although it is eroding). Japan is also a very middle-class nation with housing being very affordable. I saw that recent OECD report that listed Aus housing as the most overvalued, and Japan came in as one of the most undervalued housing markets. I guess more young people here feel like they have a future in the community and that they can afford to live in the community if they wish. My feeling when going home to Aus on my holidays is that younger people feel somewhat alienated from the communities they grew up in due to housing prices that are way out of reach. I feel that Aus is now creating an entire disaffected generation thanks to government and tax policies that encourage housing speculation, that decrease job security, and that increase the cost of education. It's sad that we are sacrificing the wellbeing of future generations. I don't know about the racial side of things as a cause of violence and crime. Maybe race is just a rallying point around which gangs of unemployed, disaffected youth can form.

Biofarmag earlier mentioned self-esteem and I think that is an important factor along with a sense of community and a positive outlook with hope for the future. My personal feeling is that all of these have been eroded in Aus over the last several years and may lead to further social unrest, including more crime, drug-use, alcohol abuse and violence.

Anyway, that is all very depressing :-( and I hopefully I am totally wrong about the future of Aus. I still really look forward to returning permanently one day.

- Peter

7. biofarmag

biofarmag Junior Member

I share your sentiments, Peter. Something's changed in this place. The old fashioned, caring, fair-go-for-all attitude doesn't seem to exist in the cities anymore. I believe (from observation) that it still exists in the bush, thankfully. The cold and heartless society that Little Johnny is trying to create.......scares the hell out of me.

8. kja

kja Junior Member

That is a problem with (not just indigenous) young people here too. When Tupac and 50 Cent are role models, suggesting that there is more to life than possessions and money seems to fall on deaf ears. Don't even get me started on the damage amphetamines, meth-amphetamines, opiates, cannabis and solvent abuse do to young minds 'cause thats got stuff all to do with what this forum is about.

9. biofarmag

biofarmag Junior Member

Yes, you're not wrong there. The dope seems to have got stronger and stronger with all the hybridisation that's gone on. Young folk turn into vegetables. It's not unusual for them to lose ten years or so of their lives in a haze. Dunno what the answer is. I DO know that clean-living away from known trouble-spots, and good parental supervision and discipline helps a LOT! My two sons are clean-living, and I'm both proud of them and hugely relieved. We had the choice of moving to a coastal area or moving to a non-coastal, non-trendy area 15 years ago. Glad we avoided the coast. It would have been much harder to keep a close eye on them there.

10. SueinWA

SueinWA Junior Member

I live in the meth capital of America. Isn't that great? When I bought this place, the seller said it was a great neighborhood. Later, I realized that there were SIX drug houses between my street & the one behind me... the house next door was one of them. The cops didn't do much except run a few of them in on outstanding warrants.

The neighborhood is cleaned up now, but I'm sure the meth maggots are still around. They steal mail, and anything else they can find. The small compensation is that an anti-drug guy that gave a talk to the neighbors said they don't usually live much past 6 yrs after they start using. But there are always others to take their place.

Sue

11. biofarmag

biofarmag Junior Member

*OUCH!*

What's "meth"?

12. Meridian

Meridian Junior Member

Drugs...

Oops, :shock: sorry for stirring up sentiments with my question. I think we all agree drugs like meth and crack have horrific effects on addicts and the community. Its not just illegal drugs however. I've personally seen allot of alcohol fuelled violence in Melbourne's CBD on Friday nights. But that's probably a problem as old as the invention of fermentation.

You know, I think many more of us get addicted to certain substances than we realize or like to admit. Maybe its sugar, nicotine, alcohol or caffeine... I personally love coffee and a couple of decades of daily consumption have left me addicted to caffeine. :x Yep, I get cranky without a coffee hit at least once a day. Lets not turn this into a fight over drugs.

Thanks for the replies to the original queston. I'm still interested about whether you feel safe in your area. I get worried about the future of rural life sometimes and don't really know what the answer is. I sometimes wonder what should you do to protect yourself and family from being a victim if a group of thugs decides to attack you on your property. It certainly doesn't seem like a problem at the moment, but the gradual, steady increase in violence in NSW has got me a bit concerned.

13. earthbound

earthbound Junior Member

Let it lie and move on biofarmag....!!!

I live in a fairly dodgey suburb, and with a shopping centre and tavern directly over the road there's generally a fair bit of commotion at night.. A week ago someone was smashing up the bus stop opposite my neighbours house. He then started to abuse my neighbour who had poked his head out to see what was happening, and began throwing rocks at him, smashing one of his windows...

There was a knife fight a couple of months ago in the carpark, a woman being dragged by her hair through the carpark, by another woman at 7.00 in the morning, gees did their screaming wake me up... At least one stolen car chased by police through the carpark every month. Stolen cars doing burnouts till they blow their tyres, then keep going on the rims for a sparks show, before dumping them in the park next door, generally between 1 and 5 in the morning.

The police helicopter passes over most weekends searching somewhere around the suburb with their spotlight. And closing time at the tavern over the road certainly isn't a good time to be out and about...

Do I feel safe in my area? Not after dark...... And I'm just in the burbs, not inner city living, but theres a fair few homes west houses around this suburb....

And some of my friends wonder why I would want to move to the country where its boring and quiet...... :?

14. christopher

christopher Junior Member

"Good morning"? "Good morning"? What did you mean by that, huh?

(jes kiddin')

We have a lot of crime in Belize, violent crime, robberies, murder, rape, abductions, I won't fully go there, for several reasons, but our land is very safe because the community we live by is a good community.

Sure, we have a few of these little punks, running around in blue clothes, or red clothes, playing "gangsta", cramping up their hands like they have arthritis, ("30s, yo! I'w down with my hood, etc) which is too bad, and put them together with some alcohol, someone could get chopped with a machete. his happens with depressing regularity. Jeffs point about cultural heroes is true. Give 'em Tupac and 50 cent, and lyrics that talk about shooting people all day... but most of them are polite when you get them alone...

Of course the absurdity of some Maya kid dressing up as a gangsta, with his trousers falling off his backside.... but, anyway....

Most of the violence in Maya communities involves alcohol. Since wehere we live is far, drunks never make it out here.

We own a bunch of firearms, different firearms for different purposes, and we target shoot every week or two, or I go on pesty patrol and shoot the animals that damage our crops (trade them to our neighbors for stuff, win/win/win situation! well, except for the animal...), and any potential bad boy knows that this farm is not a good place to target. They hear >ban, bang, bang, bang< up the valley. There are softer places to go!

I am sure that sounds harsh, but the nearest cop is in the village. He is alone. He is three kilometers from my place and has never been here, so wouldn't be able to find us if we called him, which we can't. We have no phone. Neither does he. He has one rusty .38 revolver from the lend lease program in the beginning of the second world war, or a Webley, frm the Boer war, with only 6 cartidges. I may get flamed about the firearms, but I live in a country that has some desperate poverty, with semi-uncontrolled migration from the neighboring Republics, and everyone who lives like we do keeps a gun or two.

Anyway, that is the situation, more or less, here.

C

15. earthbound

earthbound Junior Member

C, I heard an interesting interview with a fashion writer, they were explaining where a lot of the fashion of todays kids is derived from, their baggy pants etc... She talked about how much of it comes from jail or detention centre life, or rather mimicry of it.

Prisoners weren't alowed laces hence the shoes always open and not tied. Belts weren't allowed so pants would fall a bit more, the baggy pants falling off the ass nowadays... And the list went on and on, I wish I could remember more of them, brains not workin, probably a bit late, bed time....
    :sleepy2:

16. biofarmag

biofarmag Junior Member

I thought the pants were weighed down in the middle because they'd shat themselves? :lol:

17. scott

scott Junior Member

I live about 50km from Perth (semi rural).

All the surrounding area's are 5 acre blocks.We only lock things if we are
    going to be away from the place more than an hour or so.

The house and cars are never locked at night,and to the best of my knowledge no one has had any problems around here..

I do have two pretty good watch dogs that do the loud " meet and greet"
    welcome to anybody that comes onto the property.

If i didnt have the dogs maybe id be abit more cautious...(?)

The nearest town(10km) has been rezoned and the developers are hoping to have 30000 new home sites available over the next 5-10 years.

Im sure thats great for the council and all the shops,but it will certainly change the feel of the area.

The more people you get in an area the more crime you get..(my view anyway).

Iv now been here Two years and to date the only hassle, if you can call it that,was some kids doing burn outs at the cross road 2km away.(were pretty lucky) :D

18. redorangenbrown

redorangenbrown Junior Member

I'm lucky I guess. We leave our dwelling open all day while out so the dogs can come in and relax.
    I picture them pouring glasses of home brew, trying on my clothes, checking their emails and causing trouble on forums like this under my name. 8)

19. frosty

frosty Junior Member

we dont have much crime in the conventional sense here but we are NEVER able to feel safe in our home because we are constantly terrorised by the &^%$# aussie and US military

the training area is just 8 km away and it has been shown that is far too close for safety both from accidents and cancer causing emissions plus noise

they bomb all hours ........ it is not unusual to be suddenly woken in the middle of the night by loud explosions and the house shaking and windows rattling ........ to give some idea how loud it can be heard 50km away ........

until you experience it you have no idea how distressing it is to be jolted awake like that ....... you rarely manage to go back to sleep

we also have jets doing loop the loops RIGHT OVER our homes for an average of 2 hours most weekdays

and no one cares because australia is becoming a militaristic self centred jongoistic society

just look at what happened in Sydney yesterday :cry:

what is happening on this board amongst people who consider themselves as believing is sustainabilty and self sufficiency is just a window on our sick society .......

here we are also seeing - disabled bashing - racism and general intolerace

and no doubt I will be attacked again because I am not prepared to put up with being treated as a second class citizen by the military so racist greedy wankers can feel safer

if we truly werent racist we would not need a military

and if "western society" was not so greedy there would not be poverty ......

if we truly lived simpy and self sufficently there is plenty to go around for everyone

frosty's dog :p :wink:

20. ho-hum

ho-hum New Member

Frosty,

Is Lancelin a bombing area? I know that training exercises are flown out of Stirling, I am fascinated to hear they use bombs. My property is 140 km out of Tindal RAAF Base and they do have a bombing range there called Delamere Station. You should demand to know what these clowns are up to.

I appreciate your chemical dilemma, my question is to you, what consequences do you suffer and deal with from your computer use. I have a son who is chemical sensitive. It is frightening, we have all the normal issues to deal with and then some. His computer usage is restricted to about 3 hours a month.

Do you have any answers that can help me?