Wooohoooo! Aquaponics Kit Arrived...

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by Jez, Dec 8, 2005.

1. Jez

Jez Junior Member

...just now!

Opening up the very professional package, I find a very nice personal addition to the 'form letter' from Joel wishing me luck and offering his ongoing assistance and expertise.

Flipping through the book I can see that he has gone to a lot of trouble to keep things clear and concise for the technically challenged (raising hand), with many illustrations to help along the way.

Now I'm off to rent a DVD player... :lol:

Three cheers for Dr Joel...Aussie :wav: Aquaponics guru extraordinaire...helping us on the first step to the future of self-sufficiency... :wav: Aquaponics.

Onya Joel! Support his research by buying a kit now if you can afford it even if you only plan to use it further down the track... :D

Ok, large amounts of excess enthusiasm vented...time to study... :lol:

2. forest

forest Junior Member

That's excellent, Jez! Good luck with your installation and I hope you know how to work the DVD player. :lol:

Joel, it must be very gratifying for you to see your systems being used all over the country. How many are in use right now?

I showed your site to my DH this morning, he was very impressed with that silverbeet and parsley. Who knows, we might be customers one day.

I wish you the best of luck with your business, Joel. Having been a small business owner/consultant/freelancer for too many years, I know how tough it can be. More power to you.

and Jez, take photos along the way so we can follow your progress. 8)

3. earthbound

earthbound Junior Member

Thankyou Jez..... I hope that you find it useful, and I hope that you do get to build yourself a system..... :D :D

I'm about to start another thread with a pic of the new system I've built.

Joel

4. earthbound

earthbound Junior Member

Thanks Forest.... Ummm, so far as I know, systems that have been built, that have come from reading my book..? None...... :oops: :oops:

5. heuristics

heuristics Junior Member

whoo hoo

Do you ever come to Syd?

And BTW

Just had another look at your site. A question on behalf of GardenLen. He said he was hesitant about putting that phenomenal pic of the roos on his lawn at the front of his web-page cause he thought that would make it too slow to load for people without broadband..... But your page loads real fast with graphics at the top -(and they are interesting/enticing pics that grab attention)
    Any tips for GL on how to get his page snappier? (like yours - I've admired it before)

6. forest

forest Junior Member

well, we all start from nothing, Joel. I have faith. :)

7. earthbound

earthbound Junior Member

Never been to Sydney in my life Heuristics.... Maybe one day..

That picture of the roos isn't very large and wouldn't be too bad on a main page... It's all about the file size and the amount of information that has to be transfered.. My site is probably a little too heavy on the pics, as it does take a little while to download on dialup, and often with main first pages, you want them to be as quick as possible because you don't want people to click away elsewhere if they can't be bothered waiting for images to load...

This is something I read when I was making my site, main page should always be very simple, not cluttered or crammed, and not many pics or preferably none at all... Mine, I went for a standard template for all pages coz I'm lazy..... :D

8. Cornonthecob

Cornonthecob Junior Member

Careful Jez!

Once that music on the dvd gets into your head there's no escape!!!

:lol:

9. Lolly

Lolly Junior Member

Shhh.. don't tell Gargun... I'm planning to buy him everything of Joel's I can once I can extricate some dough from my grasping teenagers' hands.. :D

10. Cornonthecob

Awww come on Lolly..being older you should be sneakier!

:p

11. Lolly

Lolly Junior Member

Nah Corny.. I'm too lazy to be sneaky! Or is it that I'm too OLD?? :lol:

12. Cornonthecob

Women! :roll:

:p

13. gargun

gargun Junior Member

Did I see my name mentioned somewhere?? :angel5:

hehehe

Ray

14. Jez

Jez Junior Member

Thanks Forest, I will be documenting the whole process once I decide whether to do it here or wait until I'm somewhere more permanent.

Joel, I'll be building heaps of systems over the years mate...the costings from the book have made me more convinced to do one here...once I'm more settled I'll be looking at a BIG system... :D

Aquaponics has so much going for it...you don't realise until you make a pro's and con's list just how much. Every home should have at least a small set up IMO. Done properly it could be as close to disaster proof as producing food can be.

Corn, you're certainly a master of understatement... :lol:

And you just KNEW that would start the soundtrack rolling again for me didn't you? :lol:

Having read the book and watched the DVD completely now, I can't recommend Joel's package highly enough to everyone that hasn't got one yet ...now I can't wait to get started!

Cheers again for all your great work Joel!

15. Cornonthecob

16. derekh

derekh Junior Member

Hey Joel

I know you are in WA (I'm in QLD) but where do you get your custom tanks from ? I've searched on google and yellow pages but cannot seem to find galvanised tank manufacturers. Everyone I see (except Bluescope) has poly tanks.

I think poly troughs used for watering stock could be substituted. Cost difference ? I don't know. Round troughs for the fish and maybe rectangular ones for plants.

I was planning to make a barrel system first before expanding out. An aquaponics system or your book/cd/etc is on my Santa list.

Any thoughts ?
    derek

17. Cornonthecob

One of our two water tanks is metal. I'm going to replace them with larger poly tanks and break the metal one down into its three parts....the bottom for my fish tank (approx 3000lt) and the other two probably for snails.

:)

18. Jez

Jez Junior Member

Cheers Corn - I appreciate that mate... :D

19. earthbound

earthbound Junior Member

I don't know about local suppliers for your area Derek, it looks like bluescope water might be able to do them, though i would think that a little further searching will find some more manufacturers... There are at least 3 here in Perth, some only quite small setups, i.e. one guy.....