Offtopic: great ocean road

Discussion in 'General chat' started by murray, Dec 2, 2005.

1. murray

murray Junior Member

hey hey

does anybody know anything about what there is to do in the GOR area apart from .. you know... speeding down that road.

we (sonya and me) r going to be in melbourne late jan and we were thinking of getting out of the city for a night or 2 in that general area.

thanks in advance...

2. Richard on Maui

Richard on Maui Junior Member

I rode my bicycle a goodly portion of the GOR, it was beautiful... There are some cool farms to wwoof at in the area. I can't remember their names. One guy was growing hundreds of thousands of native trees... had some cute dairy goats too.
    The cool temperate rainforests down there are very beautiful. The Otway ranges are worth a look. Maybe there is a forest protest going on and you chain yourself to a tree? Go surfing at Bells?

3. forest

forest Junior Member

I drove around australia in the 70s and I reckon that the GOR is one of the most beautiful areas we passed through. We slept on beaches and in the car, hippy style, when we went. I believe it's full of B&Bs now.

Lucky you going there. :)

4. Guest

Racking my brain here Murray...and you know, if you like scenery, photography and lots a stops to look around and go ooooooh, aaaaaah (that kind of thing), you will love it. But I can't think for the life of me, of one thing to actually DO... You can count the apostles, and tell me if you can see twelve...(buggared if I could!)... and you are gauranteed to meet some other travellers, which is always good value... oh, and there's some good bug collecting down there (note - don't for get to pack visor cloth)

It's a brilliant trip on two wheels - but better if your pillion just holds on, and lets you lean into the corners. All that stopping to ooh and ah just wrecks it.

You are riding it, yeah?

5. murray

murray Junior Member

thanks all for your feedback.

from what y'all are saying it sounds like it might be a good plan to have no plan as there's a lot to see in the region... ? (oooh. aah. and all that.)

RF: at this point we'll just rent a small car and putter along. i can ride, but it's not an option for this trip unfortunately.

:-c

6. Guest

:lol: Have a feeling you'll wish you took the bike...

Have fun - tis really a gorgeous area.

Bit hard not to Ooooh, aaaah and all that :lol:

7. forest

forest Junior Member

murray, you and your girl will have a wonderful time. It's just the place to chill out. Find a pub overlooking the ocean, have dinner in a little restaurant and sleep late in a cosy B&B. Perfecto!

8. sab

sab Junior Member

I fell in love with the place in 1972 on a drive with my folks. Through the Otways - best taken very slowly and then coming out at Apollo Bay. We went to Apollo Bay for our honeymoon in March 83 - one month after the Feb fires - still - we were broke but I always wanted to go back there. We might be there in Feb. If you see an old brown nissan with Qld plates give us a wave!

9. Cornonthecob

Cornonthecob Junior Member

We went for a drive along the GOR a few weekends ago (as far as Warrnambool)...There are quite a few things to see do (helicopter flights etc)...strongly suggest looking up online to find what you guys might want to visit/see because if you're not careful you can very easily pass a lot of the attractions without knowing they were there.

There is a lovely mexican restaurant in Warrnambool too!

:)

10. murray

murray Junior Member

thanks guys! :D

11. SueinWA

SueinWA Junior Member

Here's a website that has some info:
    https://www.greatoceanrd.org.au/#

It looks like a great area... esp from here, where it's cold, wet and slushy!

Sue with wet feet, trying to get a fire going in the stove so I can thaw out

12. seussrules

seussrules Junior Member

Murray, one good day trip out of Melbourne, but without getting all the way to the GOR is the trip down the Bellarine Peninsula to Queenscliff, and then across on the ferry to Sorrento (costs a bit with a car - about $50 I think) and then back up the Mornington Peninsula. As the crow flies, it's not very far, but it's pretty scenic, and there are great eating and watering holes in both Q and S (and some nice wineries on the way back in at Red Hill). Have a good time. :)