Hail has stuffed my whole veggie garden.

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by Veggie Boy, Nov 29, 2005.

1. Veggie Boy

Veggie Boy Junior Member

Had big storm this arvo. 100mm in an hour - heaps of hale (ground was white with the stuff). Shreaded all my plants - reckon most, if not all, will not recover :( Guess I may as well put in a green manure crop and wait until next year to put in cool whether crops :x

2. Dani

Dani Junior Member

Bugga!!!

3. Guest

Oh VB - that sucks! Hopefully things might come back a bit....?...once they get over the shock of being bombarded...? I had my goats roam in my house yard all day when I took the kids to a sports day...was bloody shattered when I got home.

Not sure where you are, but if you are in Qld...I can send some bits to help kick things off again.

Just remember you like gardening...and whatever you have done once, you can do again....EVEN BETTER.

4. Tezza

Tezza Junior Member

I saw that on news tonite and wondered what damage it woulfd do to vegies and gardens ..........Sorry V B did it crush everything?

Tezza

5. Veggie Boy

Veggie Boy Junior Member

I surveyed the damage last night by torchlight - and it looked pretty bad - for both big and small leafed plants. Should see my pumkin vine - which had just recently got a move on and was coverring about 20 metrees square. Barely recognisable. Reckon it may come back though - pumpkins are pretty hardy.

Most other things I reckon are probably buggered, except my asparagus, which I will just cut back and start harvesting for a while.

Will probably prune everything heavilly on weekend and hope for new shoots.

Thanks all.

6. baldcat

baldcat Junior Member

shit happens to the best of them,

I'm an IT person and my COmputer crashed so bad the other day, I lost everything.... But being an IT person I had a backup of all the stuff I need :) and put into place my disater recovery plan...

Sometimes, I really think I need to unplug.

7. sab

sab Junior Member

What a bummer. Where do you live?

8. ho-hum

ho-hum New Member

Hail

Veggie Boy,

What a shame to have that happen.

I dont want to put an upside on a disaster but similar happened to me. Hail so bad it shredded orange trees and grape vines.

Anyway, from memory my veggie garden bounced back with negligible losses. A 25% loss on a commercial crop is a disaster but my experience with home vegies is that we over produce so unless the plants were frozen and killed you should be ok.

Would love to hear from you in about 4 weeks though.

Cheers

Mike Jackson

9. Veggie Boy

Veggie Boy Junior Member

Floot - sounds good, but in my case I reckon I've lost most of it. As well as shredding leaves, the hail has broken and damaged most stems of the various veggetable plants. It's amazing to see.

To give you an idea of how ferocious it was - during the storm I saw a cane toad hobbling about with its foot all but freshly amputated (it was hanging by a bit of skin. My wife suggested I euthenase it, suggesting it would be in pain. I suggested it would be in more pain if I hit it with a 3 iron :twisted: