Todays Young Adults

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by -, Nov 28, 2005.

1. Guest

The following was sent to me, and I thought it was good... Kinda brings things into perspective.

Each year Uni staff put together a list to try to give the faculty a sense of the mindset of this year's incoming undergraduates. Here's this year's list:

The young people who will soon be starting study across the nation were born around 1985.

They are too young to remember the space shuttle blowing up.

Their lifetime has always included AIDS.

Bottle caps have always been screw off and plastic.

CD's have always existed.

They have always had an answering machine.

There has always been VCR's.

They cannot fathom not having a remote control.

Popcorn has always been cooked in the microwave.

Many of their movie and singing idols have undergone some form of plastic surgery or body enhancement.

They never took a swim and shuddered at the thought of Jaws.

They can't imagine what hard contact lenses are.

They don't know who Mork was or where he was from.

They have never known the womans weekly to come out weekly.

They never heard: "Where's the Cheese?", "I'd walk a mile for a Camel", "Come on Aussie, Come on" or "Gotcha!."

They do not care who shot J.R or and have no idea who J. R. even is.

McDonald's never came in Styrofoam containers.

War has continued to take place in distant parts of the world for all of their lives.

They don't have a clue how to use a typewriter or what touch typing is.

They have never had milk to drink at school.

Instead of Screw the system, they think: Upgrade the system

Disco has never been fashionable.

They have never been to the Principal for the cane. They have been sent the guidance or welfare officer.

They have never known a party line or had to speak with an operator to be connected.

They have always brushed their teeth and hair with products from TV, (rather than what a chemist would suggest)

They complete book reviews by watching videos.

They will each arrive with some form of academic credit, and consider themselves qualified in those areas.

Their clothing has always been made from synthetic materials.

Computers have always existed.

2. wwoofertobe

wwoofertobe Junior Member

that's my generation! but alot of those things i know, maybe it better suits people born in 1990?

as long as each generation goes on how it has been, than things are gonna get worse.

-disco sucks
    -i listened to a record yesterday
    -mork is from ork (i think)
    -how can i fuck the system if i can't get it up? :lol:

3. Guest

:lol: Yes Turnstile, Mork was from Ork. He came here to study human emotion because Orkian's had none. Mork introduced the world to Robin Williams, and his brilliant sideways humour.

It is easy to imagine a world where we add things, but less easy to imagine a perspective that has not had certain experiences, or only had certain ones (like Mork and anyone born in the generations prior).

When we think of changing the world (in terms of permaculture), it is kinda important I think, that we look at the world as it is...today, so we know what we are working with (or maybe against?).

A person that has spent his/her whole life going to the fridge for food, flicking a remote control, or getting news off a computer, wearing synthetic clothes, and eating out of cardboard boxes really knows little else...and to communicate with them effectively we maybe need to 'enter their worlds' a little?

I was doing some site searching last night, and found some great sites, but like with most things, you need to have the right keywords to get there. I wondered how many kids would enter the word permaculture, when they were learning about horticulture, or environmental science at school...

Our local school has a great ag program, that I visited for the paper. When I asked if the kids had applied any permaculture techniques (during the interview set up on the phone) the teacher assured me Yes. When my daughter came home that night, she had been asked during class if anyone was familiar with permaculture, and she said yes - we do that! The teacher sent a note home asking if I would visit and talk about it and help get some things going!!! (He didn't realise that I was the same person he had spoken to on the phone!!! :lol: )

While the techniques are being mainstreamed alongside information dissemination, I'm beginning to wonder if the word itself needs to be? Because as the kids said when I went...It really is just gardening, isn't it?

To them it was. In that small pocket of time.

4. baldcat

baldcat Junior Member

I was just discussion a new job prospect with a the vice principal of a school.. (Job is for IT Manager), and I mentioned to him that I was going to uni next year and hopefully finish off the LM (eco ag) degree.. I also stated that I was interested in maybe doing my dip ed afterwards.

Eyes lit up and there were offers all round.. Just so turns out that this has been a discussion in the staff room for a while now.. (the contents of this thread) and that they (the school) really need to look at provide humanity subjects in sustainability, ag science etc etc.

The same school next year have already been granted money to build a new science wing from strawbale, and they are installing a wind generator (one of those be jobbys) it will supply the whole school and the left over will go into the grid and credit the school. They have also just esablished a wetlands project, with the run off from the biggest shed in the sourthern hemisphere https://kitezh.com/texts/murtoa.html

Exciting times ahead..

5. Guest

Excellent news... and sounds like you would be great for the job. I hope you get it. *two green thumbs up*

6. SueinWA

SueinWA Junior Member

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!

I doubt if there's one kid in a million in the U.S. that has ever HEARD of the word permaculture!

Sue

7. Jez

Jez Junior Member

Good for you Dan - sounds exciting... 8)

Todays Young Adults...

Wasn't there a sketch in The Young Ones where Ben Elton played a guy on the TV introducing a new show called Todays Young Adults?

He keeps repeating the title over again with the double thumbs up and dancing the whole time...

I think it was the episode where Neil made glue for dinner (flour and water)...

:lol: