potential purchase any thoughts.

Discussion in 'Members' Systems' started by WAA WAA, Nov 18, 2017.

1. WAA WAA

WAA WAA New Member

Climate:
    STORMY OR FIERY
    elliot tas...supplied real estate topography, 1000 ml rainfall ave, temp range 7-15 ave, backs onto national forest...thinking main cultivation apiary. main concerns...aspect slopes westward...will site get enough sun. can i plant on contour of main paddocks or will this create too much shading.

i am really feeling overwhelmed by going out and not really knowing what i am doing. no one replied to my intro which is zero problem - but i could really do with a hand as i help a lot of people all the time and you kinda hope when you need a hand help comes back.

i might be posting more over the next few months...like i said i could really do with a hand. west is to far left, north is to top, etc. yet to get better topography.

is 1000 ml per yr too much rain...this yr to date has been 700. TWO PICTURES BELOW.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. 9anda1f

9anda1f Administrator Staff Member

Climate:
    Semi-Arid Shrub Steppe (BsK)
    Welcome Waa Waa,
    Sorry I missed your intro post :cool:
    The property you've shown above looks awesome to me ... 1000 mm of rain annually is an excellent amount and it looks like previous owners have done some dam works to retain a bit of the precipitation. It also appears that some of the tree stands on the west portion of the block are already planted on contour.
    Average temps of 7-15 degrees C seem nice and cool, I would imagine that you'll see a bit of frost at times. With an aspect of roughly WNW and latitude of 41 degrees S, I would say you'll have adequate sunlight (I'm estimating that based on what I know of the ~40 degrees N solar aspect which equates to northern California).
    Have you seen Geoff's Permaculture Property Purchase guide? https://www.geofflawtononline.com/videos/video/property-purchase-guide/

SomeOldGuy likes this.
  3. WAA WAA

WAA WAA New Member

Climate:
    STORMY OR FIERY
    missing intro post is no big deal. i get the basics but in such short time to organise myself i feel over whelmed to take in all the details. the more refined tech aspects take me a while to work through...and under stress difficult. it's tasmania does - 40 degrees N solar aspect still apply. most people want north-north east and slopes look to be westward facing. i was happy with the rainfall...but worried if too much can also cause issues. yes i prefer mild weather. yes there will be frosts. i will check out guide. i help lots of people...so in small times i feel ok to ask for help. i'm happy to work it out to some degree once i get there but i dont want to buy a lemon. it has been cleared to contour. they are native stands being fire ecology it makes me nervous to plant close to them. although fires are rarer in tasmania. :) i'll check out the book.

4. songbird

songbird Senior Member

gardening, reading, etc
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    -15C-35C, 10cm rain/mo, clay, full sun, K-G Dfa=x=Dfb
    i really can't advise anyone to buy or not buy from such a distance
    and it being such a major decision.

i can say from experience that buying the wrong property is a huge
    increase in later issues. so take your time learning and asking
    questions. a few years spent looking can mean avoiding a lifetime
    of headaches... :/

i dislike anything with strange boundaries even if nature is entirely
    that ways. just too hard to manage and depends upon the neighbors.

for a large area i'd always have a good survey done. at time of
    purchase make sure neighbors are sent a copy out of courtesy, but
    also just an FYI in case there are any lingering issues that the title
    search company didn't find. it's good to know of any issues before
    you actually do purchase, but i know it may not always be feasible
    to get every last detail ironed out.

i've not been here much recently to say welcome or such. a bit too
    busy, welcome. :) sometimes i just don't have much to say because
    i'm not at all familiar with the location or issues mentioned.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2017
  5. Jason_H

Jason_H Member

Climate:
    Cool Mediterranean climate
    My wife and I are in a similar situation to you, albeit on the other side of the country. We're looking for a property around 50 - 150 acres that will principally be a lifestyle property while we are both working but then a useful size in retirement to make a little income.

What I've found is that the contour maps and rainfall maps etc are useful for initial property screening but you really need to go and have a look what species are growing on the property, what the soil is like, and what problems there are before making an offer. Farmers in the area we are have said its important to be patient rather than buy something unsuitable and either lose a lot of money or time or both changing properties.

In your case I don't think being in Tasmania is a big problem in terms of precipitation or sunlight. There are some lovely cherry, apple, berries, and many other different farming pursuits not to mention livestock that are already done in Tassie. What are people nearby doing and what advice can you offer? Where I am located there is a free rural small land holder service that anyone can access for information and assistance. Most people are happy to help if you show a genuine interest in the local area and are friendly.

9anda1f likes this.