Social Permaculture - Where do I go?

Discussion in 'Put Your Questions to the Experts!' started by Emmy Jenkins, Jan 4, 2017.

1. Emmy Jenkins

Emmy Jenkins New Member

Permaculture Project Manager
    Climate:
    Tropical
    Hi there

So basically I'vebeen bouncing around the world with work trades and I'm trying to give myself a backbone and springboard for my passion. Social permaculture has really driven a stake into me and I really want to pursue this line of learning and then work.

The long and short of it is that I just don't have extensive finances for expensive courses all over the world, but I got two good hands and strong work ethic (my name is Emily which literally means hardworking).

I do my PDC in end of Feb/beginning of March. Following this, I'm looking to work beside people so I can complete my Diploma. I can't afford to have a tutor so I'm looking to be able to intern, learn from someone on the job and really work hard to create projects and get this under my belt.

Please can anyone give me advice, The only way I can get the money to do the PDC and diploma is to borrow it from sources who are 1. Sceptical of all this *sigh*, and 2. Who need a solid 'business plan' of what I intend to do with the money. I'm only looking to cover my expense for the PDC and the diploma but...you gotta do what you gotta do.

2. 9anda1f

9anda1f Administrator Staff Member

Climate:
    Semi-Arid Shrub Steppe (BsK)
    Hi Emmy and welcome,
    Where are you located now? Where will your PDC take place? I would imagine you'd like to minimize international travel if possible.
    I noticed the other day that Quail Springs is going to offer a social Permaculture course: https://www.quailsprings.org/programs/permaculture/social-permaculture/
    Have you looked through the "Jobs, Projects, Courses .." subforum for interesting opportunities? Also, perhaps Permaculture Global exploration might yield something of interest.

3. Emmy Jenkins

Emmy Jenkins New Member

Permaculture Project Manager
    Climate:
    Tropical
    Hi there and thank you :)

I am based in the UK currently and my PDC is in Spain. I don't necessarily want to limite my internation travel from here as I'm starting the journey but would like to placemyself somewher where I willbe opening myself to opportunities without having to travel to far from there! So for example, if I'm in Spain, I could travel to Portugal and surrounding areas in Europe. Or alternatively, if I was in Mexico I could travel around Central America.

However, I have seen the course, and the course Starhawk offers in March, but they're just so far out of my realistic price range. Also I feel that a 4 day course, while teaching me intensively, won't necessarily allow me to see hands-on usage. I'm a vivacious reader, so for me I want to progress into a more hands-on style of design application, shadowing someone or becoming an intern. I had a little look through this list but I will definitely keep an eye on it.

Thank you for getting back to me so soon!

4. 9anda1f

9anda1f Administrator Staff Member

Climate:
    Semi-Arid Shrub Steppe (BsK)