Anyone interested in wild plant seeds from Alaska?

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by Carol, Dec 19, 2016.

1. Carol

Carol New Member

Self-employed in Accounting
    Climate:
    Zone 5 with cool summers
    I have 10 acres of basically untouched forested property on the Kenai Peninsula - there are a great variety of wild flowers and wild fruiting bushes here and in the surrounding area. I've been thinking about collecting seeds that people may want to try. But would like to know what kind of interest there may be in it.

I have wild raspberries, blueberries, red elderberries, high & low bush cranberries, lingonberries, red currants, trailing raspberries and others. Wild lupines, roses, geraniums, pyrola, white orchid, columbine are some of the more noticeable types of flowers as well as the abundant fireweed. We also have lots of of wild herbals which I have to learn identification on but I have seen valerian, yarrow, mints, nettles, chives, red, pink & white clovers and many others. I won't be learning the exact botanical identifications though as I won't have time for that - only the general type that they are.

I've spent the last two years buying and planting many types of fruit & nut trees & bushes also, so I have a lot of work to do. But I will take the time to collect & dry wild seeds/berries & dry them to ship, if there is a big interest in it.

Carol

9anda1f likes this.
  2. Ava

Ava New Member

Climate:
    Southern USA
    Hello Carol-I just joined this site today. Are you still offering seeds?

3. 9anda1f

9anda1f Administrator Staff Member

Climate:
    Semi-Arid Shrub Steppe (BsK)
    Hi Carol,
    Not only would we be interested, but we could also send seeds from around here your way. Your herbs especially (valerian pops out immediately).
    I think wild native seeds could easily become a small business if you're inclined that way.

4. Carol

Carol New Member

Climate:
    Zone 5 with cool summers
    I have not collected any seeds yet - was just checking for possible interest. Right now there's several feet of snow on the ground.

So next summer I will start collecting seeds and let people know what I have.

Thanks,
    Carol

Last edited: Dec 23, 2016
  5. Carol

Carol New Member

Climate:
    Zone 5 with cool summers
    Yes - I might make a business out of it but will have to see how much time I have. I will be building next summer and tending the 200 some trees & shrubs I've already planted.

But tell me where you are located as I do want to get some plants or seeds that I can't buy.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Carol

6. 9anda1f

9anda1f Administrator Staff Member

Climate:
    Semi-Arid Shrub Steppe (BsK)
    Hi Carol, we're in eastern Washington state enduring our cold (-5F so far) snowy winter. Which plants/seeds are you seeking?

7. Carol

Carol New Member

Climate:
    Zone 5 with cool summers
    OK - now that I know where you are, I'll get a list together. Thanks. I'm also bookmarking your websites - so maybe I can get in touch with you through them also.
    Carol