Hello from Namibia

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself Here' started by ecotransformer, Aug 29, 2016.

1. ecotransformer

ecotransformer New Member

Climate:
    Dry
    I am Ina from Namibia and my team and I we just started this with our first project which is a simple school garden. we are doing it on a voluntary basis for now but it is a lot of fun working with.
    I myself do not have a PDC cause I did not have the opportunity to do it yet but I did a non-accredited course and have been practicing for the past six years but there is not much to show now cause the baboons decided to that they will join me in my garden. (it's a heard of more than 60 baboons... That is reason enough for me to move away from that haven.
    Namibia has a very high gap when it comes to distribution of wealth and life is super expensive here. one of our biggest challenges is to change the mind sets of people. Not many of you may no this but the apartheid regime did its work and is deep with in the people. Blacks who live in the ghetto's do not necessarily want a garden because that reminds them of the village life and is not a symbol of status... people tend to respect you more when you can afford to buy KFC and all the junk that comes with capitalism.
    Aside from the school garden, one of my many projects has been finally approved which will be setting up Permaculture systems in northern Namibia and I will be working with rural women only. The project will be running for three years and in short will be about training, sending of candidates to other centers and turn them into teachers as well.
    I do have room for international experts from either Zimbabwe and Malawi because of the climate. I hope to form a partnership with Permaculture centre's around the region as I will be needing experienced lectures and will have the opportunity to send women to other centers. The Chikukwa project, i find to be very inspirational and the project I will be running is very similar to that one. Fortunately I can not get hold of them and ask of you or anyone who has a sure email address to please forward to me as soon as possible. My final budget has to be in in October 2016.

Viva the spirit of permaculture

Grace Pignatello likes this.
  2. songbird

songbird Senior Member

gardening, reading, etc
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    -15C-35C, 10cm rain/mo, clay, full sun, K-G Dfa=x=Dfb
    hello and welcome, unfortunately, i have no contact information and am not
    familiar with the people in Africa who might help. but i did want to say
    hello and welcome. :) and yes, i do find that project inspirational. i
    hope they are doing ok in recent times.

3. 9anda1f

9anda1f Administrator Staff Member

Climate:
    Semi-Arid Shrub Steppe (BsK)
    Hi Ecotransformer and welcome,

There is a small project in Swakopmund I see in the Permaculture Global database: https://permacultureglobal.org/projects/2069-39-otavi-street
    Also https://permacultureglobal.org/projects/471-gardenafrica (can't tell exactly where they're located)
    Further, Mokolodi seems to have some experience with baboons! https://permacultureglobal.org/proj...nservation-park-permaculture-education-garden

Your statement, "Not many of you may no this but the apartheid regime did its work and is deep with in the people. Blacks who live in the ghetto's do not necessarily want a garden because that reminds them of the village life and is not a symbol of status... people tend to respect you more when you can afford to buy KFC and all the junk that comes with capitalism." is right on target. To "capitalize" on a situation means "to take advantage or exploit it for personal gain" ... I might add to that "with no regard towards ethical behavior", as capitalism is based on competition instead of cooperation.

4. ecotransformer

ecotransformer New Member

Climate:
    Dry
    one of the reasons, i am doing this project in northern Namibia, is because most people come from the north in search of employment in the city and I believe that if one can develope that part of Namibia (Permaculture and expose the people to what they can achieve with the existing resources they have than one might actually have a bit of influence. Namibia is a beautiful country but the biggest challenge I find is the mindset of people. I have been training the grassroots for over ten 10 years but in Fashion design and most of my participants are 40 years and older. Most of the women, actually want to learn but have no access to the right kind of education. Re learning the old traditional skills that we have lost. My grandmother tells me all the time that "DEVELOPMENT" as we know it today is the way to go and if I am not happy with it, she would gladly give me the traditional leather attires they used to wear when they were young and take away everything. It is a wonderful challange and I know that I will succeed cause Permaculture is transforming the lives of many people around the world but it will take time. Not too long I hope

5. 9anda1f

9anda1f Administrator Staff Member

Climate:
    Semi-Arid Shrub Steppe (BsK)
    You're doing good work Ina, keep those traditional skills alive. I feel that traditional skills come from a time when humans worked with their environment instead of against it.

Grace Pignatello likes this.
  6. Grace Pignatello

Grace Pignatello Member

Urban Site Manager, Homeschooling Mom
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    Desert
    You are doing great Ina!
    Once people see what you are doing they will come. I heard somewhere that 98% percent of people are terrified to think a thought. So the 2% who are willing to think or try to are a small number. But, when we do the thinking for them and show them what can be done, they will join us. And some will have the courage to think about thinking. Permaculture brings life. To everything. Even our minds and hearts. You are sowing the seeds of hope in others. You are starting the process of healing, the land and those who live on it. Healing the past and giving hope to the future. If one group doesn't join you, go to the next.
    My hopes and prayers are with you.