Honey Bees disturbing Caterpillar

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by Fred, Jun 15, 2016.

1. Fred

Fred New Member

Climate:
    mid temperate
    I'd like to share this information about an experiment made be german Bee researcher Prof. Dr. Tautz about influence of bee activity on foliar consumption of caterpillars.

Caterpillars defense reaction against prarasitic wasps is a dead man reaction or to fall on the ground. Because they can't distiugush wether a wasp or bee is approching their foliar consumption is found to be up to 70% reduced in areas with high bee activity because they are massivley stressed only from the bees moving around. This is a interaction which is not straightforward found out, but a good reason to plant flowers inbetween legumes.

A short german report:
    https://www.bee-careful.com/de/initiative/bienen-schaedlingsbekaempfer/

Article in the New-York times:
    https://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/30/science/30obbuzz.html?_r=1

Occarina likes this.
  2. Fred

Fred New Member

Climate:
    mid temperate
    Additional information: The bee reseach of Uni Würzburg where Prof. Tautz is working
    can be followed on the HOBOS-site (HOney Bee Online Studies) which is also available in englisch and some other languages.

https://www.hobos.de/en

3. Amelia Crawford

Amelia Crawford New Member

Climate:
    warm, lots of storms lately
    Thanks for the information! I've always known that bees are one of the most useful creatures in the world!

4. Bryant RedHawk

Bryant RedHawk Junior Member

Arkansas Senior Appraiser
    Climate:
    USDA zone 7b,8a.
    Very Interesting. I recorded the sound from a few wasps and bees yesterday and will give a playback next to our plants that are under attack tonight. I'll post here if that works the same way as actually having the wasps and bees around.

5. Fred

Fred New Member

Climate:
    mid temperate
    That will sure be interesting.

6. Bryant RedHawk

Climate:
    USDA zone 7b,8a.
    Imagine that, the recording appears to work, even at dusk playing the wasp recording caused the caterpillars to stop all movement. It even worked on the horn worms, they slowly stopped their munching of tomato leaves and let their heads droop back over their bodies before letting go of the stems. Once it became totally dark, it did not work, apparently the caterpillars know that wasps go to bed at dark.

Now I want to find out if this reaction would continue with extended exposure to the sounds. Sure would be great if they don't figure this out. Nicely, on the weekend I gave it a play while some parasitic wasps were buzzing around the plants. In that instance the wasps started homing in on the dropping caterpillars since they became easy prey for their egg laying.

My only problem is that I have to be so close for them to react, I think bigger and better speakers would most likely allow me to not have to be within 1 meter of them to elicit the reaction.

9anda1f likes this.
  7. Fred

Fred New Member

Climate:
    mid temperate
    Surprise, so this information was turned into practical use faster than I imagined.

At dark bat sound may be worth a try. Some bat species also hunt on insects living on the ground. Sure ultrasonic equipment would be required.

8. Bryant RedHawk

Climate:
    USDA zone 7b,8a.
    I'm going to do more work with this research since I have been able to repeat parts of Dr. Tautz' experiments. Once I get things better figured out and documented, I will send my results to Dr. Tautz. They maybe of some interest to him.

9. Occarina

Occarina New Member

Hobby Gardener
    Climate:
    Sub tropical rainforest
    Interesting, I wonder too if the bigger speakers would send vibrations to disturb the grubs, will follow with interest!