Hello from Dubai, UAE.

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself Here' started by Rais, Feb 21, 2016.

1. Rais

Rais New Member

Climate:
    Arid
    Understanding that the basis of healthy living and sustainable lifestyle is knowing to maximize the usage of space to grow your own food and using regenerative principles while doing the same. We as a global culture need to seek growth through the growth of the planet.

This is easier said then done, specially when choosing to live in an urban setup. But being consistent and constant has its own rewards and lessons. Hoping stay that way...

2. 9anda1f

9anda1f Administrator Staff Member

Climate:
    Semi-Arid Shrub Steppe (BsK)
    Greetings Rais and welcome,
    Tell us more about your thoughts on growth. While I understand that our existing systems (economic, political, etc) are reliant on perpetual growth, I'm not sure how that is to be accomplished on a finite planet.
    Also would like to hear about any Permaculture projects you are working on or aware of in Dubai or the UAE.

3. Rais

Rais New Member

Climate:
    Arid
    Thank you 9ANDA1F,

Collective growth is accomplished when we simply start sharing, sharing time, space, ideas, knowledge and even food, we allow the development of interconnections between societies and nature. The art of giving is equally important as the art of receiving. By looking at aspects of our daily lives and understanding how we by our finite small actions towards our own personal growth can cause effects to our immediate environment and in time to even the perception of everything around us, we add compassion and peace to all there is.

We measure values and services through a monetary system which is slowly failing. If we start looking at growth of a generation through good food and re-education of what is the truth and natural we remove the aspect of monoculture and bring about polyculture. By making informative decisions in our daily lives and slowly removing aspects of what is collectively harmful to us we take a big step towards a collective growth. It can be as simple as changing the toothpaste which we use and opting for natural alternatives and communicating the benefits to all who we meet, brings about a change in perception, it triggers the growth for knowledge and nature based decisions.

I have been involved with Slow Food Dubai convivium to create a Urban Rooftop Garden in a Hotel in the middle of the city here in Dubai, where we have used permaculture principles for the growing of herbs and vegetables using zero chemicals. The produce from the garden is taken by the chefs in the hotel to serve their guests and volunteers alike. We also have been holding Workshops, Seminars and Hands on gardening sessions where we share knowledge and exchange information on what thrives in this region. We also use the opportunities of communicating to the public at the local farmers market, where we actively encourage flat and home owners to start growing there own food. We do this by providing them provisions, like organic soil, non GM seedlings, and pots. Continuously advising and encouraging people to start paying attention to the food that they consume and where the source of it is also. It is a challenge, it has been very rewarding in terms of knowledge and self fulfillment. There are a few other projects which are taking place here in the region also, I am still in the process of meeting them, as I have just come back from a long travel around Nepal and India, but hoping to get myself more involved with others who are making the initiative to bring about regenerative food growth in this region. Wish me luck!!! :)

4. StarrB.

StarrB. New Member

Home Page:
    Climate:
    Cold Temperate