Hello from British Columbia!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself Here' started by Isaac Smeele, Nov 7, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Isaac Smeele

Isaac Smeele New Member

Climate:
    Canada’s Plant Hardiness Zone 4b
    My wife and I have recently discovered permaculture and we are extremely interested in learning more and becoming part of this incredible movement! I have been researching quite a bit and I'm having troubling finding resources on how to practice successful permaculture in our northern climate. That is why I have come here to learn as much as I can to help me plan and succeed! I am so excited to speak with you all!

2. Billy VanCuren

Billy VanCuren New Member

Welcome Isaac and family!

I'm sure that you will find information and the people here that you are looking for! The articles found at links at the bottom of the page and the various people that pop in from time to time are all great resources. Have you looked in your local area for any groups or PDCs (Permaculture Design Courses)? I did quite a bit of personal research before taking my first PDC, but it was the PDC that immediately tied it all together and enable me to look at my land in a totally different light! I took the second PDC because it was a different group with different examples and questions that brought out even more things regarding the methodology.

Looking forward to hearing about your adventures and growth in life and the community!

Billy

3. Isaac Smeele

Isaac Smeele New Member

Climate:
    Yes I am currently living in Montreal temporarily and I have found a Permaculture organization called p3permaculture (people for the profit of the planet) and I plan on attending as many of their workshops as I can. I am also doing lots of reading on my own time but mostly finding information about warmer climates which is interesting but makes me worry that having a sustainable life in the great white north will be extremely difficult.

4. 9anda1f

9anda1f Administrator Staff Member

Climate:
    Semi-Arid Shrub Steppe (BsK)
    Hi Isaac,
    It's likely that warmer climate is ultimately headed your way.
    ; )
    Have you discovered Rob Avis at Verge Permaculture in Calgary? Or Mark Shepard in Wisconsin? Both operate in quite cold environments and may have some approaches/techniques to offer.

Isaac Smeele likes this.
  5. Isaac Smeele

Isaac Smeele New Member

Climate:
    I Checked out Verge. They are so awesome! So much inspiration, thanks for the info. :)

6. Rylan Zimny

Rylan Zimny New Member

Climate:
    Cold Temperate
    Hi Isaac,
    If you are looking for armchair education, and love books like I do, start with some easy reading titles like Gaia's Garden by Toby Hemenway. He does a great job of articulating some strategies for smaller scale urban permaculture elements. If you are more into broad acreage and forest ecology, I recommend Edible Forest Gardens by Dave Jacke. Volume 1 is theory and history combined with unique stories about forests and forest gardening in North America, while Volume 2 is about getting your hands dirty :D.
    Another invaluable resource for cold climate permaculture is the rebel Gardener, Sepp Holtzer. He has created a temperate climate garden of Eden in the mountains of Austria. Very inspiring. Watch some of the Youtube videos online about him.
    Also, look towards people in the british Isles for some inspiration and education as well. There is Graham Bell at grahambell.org - cool temperate permaculture in Europe! totally awesome stuff.
    Welcome to the group!

7. Isaac Smeele

Isaac Smeele New Member

Climate:
    Hey thanks so much for the response! :) Wow Sepp Holtzer has done amazing work super inspirational thank you for sharing. I will also check out the books for sure.

8. StarrB.

StarrB. New Member

Home Page:
    Climate:
    Cold Temperate