Greetings from Eastern Arizona

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself Here' started by howdymr, Aug 29, 2015.

1. howdymr

howdymr Junior Member

Consultation, Education and Implementation
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    Arid/semi-arid
    Howdy,

I'm currently getting involved in a few projects here in Arizona, and attempting to expand my education. My focus is largely on educating folks about the possibilities, especially with water harvesting and indigenous edible landscaping. Recently I've been involved with trying to get a grant that involves BLM, Gila Watershed Partnership, SEACAB and others. It'll focus on water catchments along the town's roads in a couple of locations in town to help demonstrate what can be done.

In October I'll be in Haiti teaching in the local church and helping with Nicholas Burtner's permaculture project, focused on helping the orphanage become more self-sufficient.

I currently have a WeTheTrees campaign to try to get Watershed & Land Restoration training and a PDC from Quail Springs. Please share!! :)

We're hoping to start offering educational courses in November. Our area doesn't even really have a Masters Gardeners program (there's a course, but not much going on). Hopefully these efforts will help get people more interested. It seems like there are enough to get a spark going. With the right work, we can get a fire blazing.

Thanks!!
    Joe

2. 9anda1f

9anda1f Administrator Staff Member

Climate:
    Semi-Arid Shrub Steppe (BsK)
    howdymr likes this.
  3. howdymr

howdymr Junior Member

Home Page:
    Climate:
    Arid/semi-arid
    Thanks Bill,

Yes, Brad's been influential. He recommended the Watershed & Land Restoration course at Quail Springs. The grant we're working on involves the same concepts, and I've used his materials to help promote it.

4. howdymr

howdymr Junior Member

Home Page:
    Climate:
    Arid/semi-arid
    I got to spend some time with Brad while in California. We visited with Art Ludwig and checked out some of his work. Great folks!

Haiti was amazing. Check out the School of Permaculture site for details.

5. 9anda1f

9anda1f Administrator Staff Member

Climate:
    Semi-Arid Shrub Steppe (BsK)
    How was your course at Quail Springs? Did you gain any insights for your projects?

I'm detecting a wonderful theme here (in the forums) lately:
    Your work with the Haitian orphanage
    Alfredo's work with an orphanage in Mexico: https://permaculturenews.org/forums/index.php?threads/sustainable-orphanage-in-chiapas-mexico.14559/
    Billy's work in Afghanistan: https://permaculturenews.org/forums/index.php?threads/billy-in-afghanistan.14503/
    Marcus' work with refugee camp design: https://permaculturenews.org/forums...ent-design-large-community-site-design.14340/
    Even our work with an Afghanistan Revitalization project.

I'm sure there are more projects I'm missing. The point is to see this expanding work internationally outside of our own backyards pinpointing dire needs with Permaculture design.

6. howdymr

howdymr Junior Member

Home Page:
    Climate:
    Arid/semi-arid
    Thanks Bill. I didn't have my notifications on, so missed your response. I think I have that straightened out now.

Quail Springs was awesome. The Watershed Management and Land Restoration course with Craig Sponholtz and Neil Bertrando really helped me to see the land better. And I think it prepared me to evaluate better when taking the PDC.

Warren did a great job with the PDC, of course. The folks at Quail Springs are really great. I felt like returning family after Haiti, and was sad to leave when the PDC was over. Their land is challenging, but they're making it work nicely.

Here's a one rock dam I built in their gully (tried uploading, but the files are too large). During the watershed course I took ownership of this particular portion and really tried to get it right - including tearing it apart a couple of times because it wasn't lining up right. It really was working nicely when I left for Haiti. However, by the time I returned they'd had a pretty significant flood event, wiping out all our hard work. It was a good lesson for me though, illustrating one of the major maxims Craig reminded us of often, "Do no harm." The dam moved with the water, causing no damage and perhaps helping to build up the sediment in that bend in the process. The same can't be said for a couple of gabions that are remnants after getting washed out, causing narrowing and a major eyesore now. Mistakes make great teachers. I much prefer it when the mistakes others make teach me though. :)

7. howdymr

howdymr Junior Member

Home Page:
    Climate:
    Arid/semi-arid
    Insight into my projects?
    I did, but it's tough going here. We had a workshop we promoted for a couple of months, but hardly anyone showed up. We're going to try a webinar in a couple of weeks and see how that goes. I'm getting a lot of feedback that this area is really tough to make headway and get people to come together. We didn't plan on staying here anyway, but it would be nice to get some momentum. I'll keep trying even as I look for something where the soil is a little more fertile (community wise :) ).
    The water harvesting project is a good example. Even with the various groups involved and willing to invest in it, the city wouldn't do it. How often does BLM offer to promote a water harvesting project in the city limits? They offered no reason, just that they weren't interested at this time. It's a reactive and understandable response, but still disheartening.
    I'm looking for possibilities both near and far. We'll see what shapes up.