How can I pursue my dream ?

Discussion in 'Permaculture consultants, businesses, resources' started by LocalRawganics, Aug 13, 2014.

1. LocalRawganics

LocalRawganics New Member

Hi everyone,

My name is Jake, I just turned 17 and I currently live in Toronto, Canada.

To begin, I apologize in advanced if this is the incorrect place to be posting this.

I will start by offering some background on myself. I have grown up and lived in the city, in Toronto all my life and recently discovered agriculture, organics, natural remedies, etc. I only discovered these valuable and life-changing things last year, when I went to Northern California to live with my Uncle (to "escape" foster care which I put myself in to leave my father). I started working at farmers markets when I was there, helping out in gardens to learn, working on small farms, and meeting and talking to very interesting people. Very sadly, I only discovered permaculture and truly put my words into actions when I left California. By this I mean, my interest and passion in organic agriculture was so much I put almost all of my money at that time ($700) -- having been buying my own food since almost 12 ; and recently spending the extra on organic food because that is what I want to support and for its health benefits -- on a course by Gaia College / Society for Organic Urban Land Care (which is associated with Oregon Tilth and others). Basically these course(s) that I am taking look to certify the person instead of the land, so essentially I could potentially become a SOUL certified organic farmer. The course taught me a ton on the science of agricluture, permaculture, etc. The course was essentially a course on permaculture, which I didn't know until recently. Fascinated by it all, having worked on biodynamic, organic farms and dreaming to be an organic farmer; my dream is now to be a permaculture (organic) farmer.

I do what I possibly can to support permaculture and organics by buying organic, local food from my friends (farmers Ive worked for --- but NONE I have met are into permaculture), working for the farmers, starting my own vermicompost, organic landscaping as a full time summer job and parttime school year job, and more. Anyways, I am on my last year of high school, which I plan to finish (I get good grades -- without studying or any of that) but am not sure what next.

Essentially, I am wondering what to do. My dream is to own some land; homesteading, forest farm, build community, eventually hope to teach others, raise chickens and sheep and perhaps other livestock and more. I don't know how to get there though !

Due to my working hard towards becoming more knowledgable in organic land care and so forth, I currently work cash jobs (with a formal organic landscaping job pending -- interview next week) for $13 an hour for clients around the city. I have gotten many into, and built, composting and share valuable knowledge and skills with others. Recently I have sort of realized, I don't think I can possibly fulfill my dream of owning some land farming working $13 and hour. I have recently though maybe I should start my own business selling vermicompost, juicing local organic produce at farmers markets, sprouted nuts, etc. to support the movement and inform people about permaculture through handouts at my stand and stuff.

Anyways, I am basically asking anyone and everyone to please help me ! My dream is to "farm naturally" hopefully own the land, live off-the-grid , have community and so forth but I have no idea which route or direction to go. I must say though, I feel like time is running out. Everyday I am living in the city, the toxins overwhelm me , I have been pretty depressed not having a home (living in a really shitty grouphome -- to again, escape my father's abuse), and as a result have been pretty disassociated for the past few weeks. Anyways I am not sure why I mention this, but in any case, please offer me some tools, advice, critism, and anything that will help me fulfill my goal. Part of my wanted to WOOFF all summer, but then I realized I want to make money (which I did on a farm for a bit -- but the grouphome forced me back to the city) in order to help fulfil my goal. As a side note, I am not some crazy, lazy kid wanting to sit around on my ass and watch nature. I simply want a safe environment which will allow me to put my principles into practice, feel good, connect with others including nature, work hard towards and on somthing I enjoy and support (an organic sustainable lifestyle), etc.

Again, I want to be a permaculture farmer -- selling fresh produce to start, and eventually would love to teach permaculture, teach classes on stuff such as wildcrafting, making tinctures, and anything to do with homesteading, herbs, permaculture, sustainable lifestyle, land care, etc.

How do I get there?

By the way, when I recently started watching Paul's youtube videos, I get this massive urge and excitement to "WOOFF" on people like Brian & Skeeter's farms to learn and live my ideal way. Would this even be possible do you think?

PS. Recently I have been feeling like crap thinking that my dream is unachievable -- to somehow own land with chickens, etc. working $13 an hour. I have been recently asking myself, when will this struggle end, and a new beginning of my ideal lifestyle sprout.

Hopefully this all makes sense. Please let me know if you would like anymore information on anything from my living situation, work, why I left California (financial, legal status, family hectic stuff), and so forth.

I guarantee any / all responses will be unimaginably helpful and appreciated. You will be doing me an amazing service. Please know that you will be (without being too dramatic -- this is how it feels) saving a 17 year old kid and helping him fulfill his dream.

Jake

howdymr likes this.
  2. Eco Jono

Eco Jono Junior Member

Hey Jake,

Hang in there, you'll find something.

Are there any local community gardens you could get involved with? Some of them allow you to have your own little garden plot to care for etc.

WOOFERS sounds like a great idea in the meantime - no doubt you'd meet other likeminded individuals in the process and who know where it may lead.

I got into permaculture about your age by helping out on a family friends organic farm often in my holidays.. was great fun and I learnt so much

all the best

3. Royaldragon

Royaldragon New Member

Jake,
    For starters you are well ahead of many people who do not discover permaculture until they are much older.

The best recommendation I can offer is to focus on what you want, not on what you don't want.

This is a very important lesson in life. There are "away from" people and "towards" people. "Away from" people are always trying to get away from what they don't want. If that is your approach you will always be running. If someone says don't think of pink elephants many have a natural response to think about the elephant in order not to think about it; thats "away from".

Towards is going to get you what you want. Only focus on that which makes you happy and what you know is right and it will come to you much faster. To catch a ball flying at you you need to think about catching the ball not how you don't want to miss it or you'll get hit in the face with a ball.

This little bit of info may sound small but in reality can make a huge difference in you life.

I once went through doom and gloom in high school over the status of our world and what we as humans had done to it. It can be easy to get depressed and overwhelmed, focus on the positive and you will be healthier (even amongst the chemicals) and moving towards you goals that much faster.

Just like in permaculture you are on the edge, in transition, now is your time to bloom and become what you want your opportunities are endless. keep your eyes peeled and your ears open for opportunities.

Make sure to set a good plan in place for saving money. If you are willing to get dirty and work you should be able to make it. If you rent a property start growing what you can there as well if you can to cover your food costs then most of your money can be saved minus rent and utilities.

You could also exploring other parts of the world on the net. You may find other places and cultures that interest you. Coming from the USA my wife, our kids and I moved to Mexico for a more versatile climate and cheaper living. There are many options, don't get to distracted by that, but it may bring you to some place where you find more affordable or desirable.

Biggest thing, relax! your 17 and your on the right track. Don't get caught up in the BS, focus on your goals and you will be fine!

4. songbird

songbird Senior Member

gardening, reading, etc
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    -15C-35C, 10cm rain/mo, clay, full sun, K-G Dfa=x=Dfb
    at 17 it may seem like you'll never get where you're heading, but one step at a time gets you there.

the first step is to finish school. one more year, that should be your main focus. any part-time work you can pick up should be considered secondary and your goal with the income from that is not spending, but saving as much of it as you can.

as to where next after school, that's a ways away, perhaps by then you'll have a better idea. to go back to CA where you sound like you were much happier or ... well i dunno... but good luck, :)

5. howdymr

howdymr Junior Member

Consultation, Education and Implementation
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    Arid/semi-arid
    Cool to see your efforts and progress Jake. Keep it up.

If you can get test out of your High School diploma, that might be a nice route. We got our sons through the high school hurdle that way when they were about 15 or so.

At your age you have so much open before you and little responsibility tying you down. My advice is to take advantage of this, massively. You'll get a better education traveling and seeing what others are doing than you ever could in school, IMO. Not only will you learn amazing things from experts, but your travels will teach you more about people, various social and ecological systems and vastly multiply the knowledge and experience your gaining.

WOOF around the world if you can. Try to find a way to pay for the next trip.

Intern at different locations around the world. Find who is the best at what you want to do and try to become involved with them.

Don't worry about money right now, except to the degree that you absolutely have to. Focus on learning and contributing to the work of the masters. Work hard and make yourself valuable to them.

By pursuing a plan like this, by the time you're in your mid-20s you'll know more than many of us and begin to become more valuable to possible clients. Your name will begin to be recognized and you'll get to start pursuing your vision more fully, even as it develops and solidifies... or perhaps it'll choose you. That's not to take away from them, but so many of us (myself included) got involved with permaculture when we already had responsibilities that limited our ability to really jump in with both feet. Bills and family necessitate that we have to keep the income flowing as we attempt to get the education and implement what we're learning when we have time. I only wish I had your vision at your age.

dcreggie likes this.
  6. DryadsRest

DryadsRest New Member

Climate:
    Temperate, zone 3-4
    I feel you, Jake.
    I don't have to deal with any parental abuse, but being 22 and struggling to get a job in this economy despite having an education, have put a damper on my dreams. I can find work - but not the kind of work that would allow me to save up for a home.
    I know this topic is several months old, and I don't know if you're going to come back to read this. But if you do, here is my advice: Go WOOF:ing! You and I, we're young. We have time. And opportunities always present themselves, eventually, and in some way or another and life is just a big lesson in learning how to look for them. What if you WOOF and spend your free time working on a small company? You could write. You could blog. You could perhaps make crafts of some sort, whatever you're good at. Work on buying and re-selling, you might be able to find a good niche market. You will not make MUCH money doing this, at least not to begin with, but it is definitely possible to earn close to those 13$ an hour! Go live your dream already.