Central Kansas USA

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself Here' started by Jennifer Stark, Nov 4, 2015.

1. Jennifer Stark

Jennifer Stark New Member

Climate:
    Warm Temperate, Fully Humid, Warm/Hot Summer
    Hello,

I am just introducing myself and saying Hi. I am a graduate of Geoff Lawton's 2014 online permaculture course. Need to stay abreast of things and I hope this forum will help me. Nice to meet you all and learn new things from you
    Sincerely,
    Jennifer Stark

2. 9anda1f

9anda1f Administrator Staff Member

Climate:
    Semi-Arid Shrub Steppe (BsK)
    Hi Jennifer, glad to have you aboard.
    Hope you enjoyed Geoff's course. I was privileged to not only take a "live" course from Geoff and Darren Doherty but also to follow along as my SO took her PDC in Geoff's first online PDC. If you're anything like me, I will imagine that your brain is feeling quite full!
    Looking forward to seeing your projects, designs, ideas, and techniques (we like pics!).

3. Billy VanCuren

Billy VanCuren New Member

Hi Jennifer!

I took the online with Geoff as well. I also took another course with PermaEthos immediately afterwards. Originally from the NM area, currently live in El Paso, TX but I was stationed at FT Leavenworth for a year. I'm currently in Kabul, AFG looking for ways to do things here. There are tons of things to glean from the forums. Look forward to sharing and doing!

Billy

4. Jennifer Stark

Jennifer Stark New Member

Climate:
    Warm Temperate, Fully Humid, Warm/Hot Summer
    As soon as I turned in my project I feel like my brain did a data dump. I am getting asked questions and need to feel confident answering them. I want more practical experience and am looking for land to start my own permaculture/homesteading adventure.
    Jennifer

5. Billy VanCuren

Billy VanCuren New Member

Never under estimate the power of observation. Pick spots that you can freely access, analyze the area and make your assumptions of what to expect based on time. It's getting closer to winter and snow covering everything which will start covering up some of those places. As I was working to better understand my own property, I looked for the inputs and made my estimates on what to expect come spring.

There were times that I couldn't make it up to my place due to work, so I picked a few places around where I worked to make my observations and begin understanding that area. I also linked up with people that did similar things - The El Paso Master Gardeners were useful from a technical and local perspective. I found a local Permaculture group that occasionally needed hands/volunteers to help with projects and I went as often as I could.

I had the opportunity to do some consulting about earthwork for a rancher on his "back forty", he was interested in the reclamation of water and reducing his soil erosion. It was some minor swales with windbreaks, but I was able to influence the type of trees and bushes that he was inputting to increase the forage for his wildlife. He wasn't that interested in harvesting anything, but he gave me the opportunity. Due to the conservative nature of the rancher, I didn't start the discussion with "I'm a budding permaculturist" because he likely would have only heard "cultist" and dismissed any of my observations about his land!

Now, I'm in Kabul, AFG talking with one of the people that I advise about things to do with his 2 acres of land. Here, "his" 2 acres, translates to a dozen of similar patches owned by other family members. If we are successful this next year with ANYTHING, his family will readily adopt some of the techniques. This project is only in a discussion level at the moment because we are both pretty busy trying to develop a plan to secure our part of the world. However, I think rain catchment will be an "easy" victory. It's not a popular concept because there is ready city water, but it can save him some hard earned money and that's the draw for him. We'll see how it goes.

Good luck on the homestead search!