Mediterranean Food Forest - how to sow next season's (short life) nitrogen-fixers?

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by Ronnoco, Sep 23, 2015.

1. Ronnoco

Ronnoco Junior Member

Climate:
    Mediterranean
    My 45 metre swale (the berm) is (wonderfully) thick with Autumn planted peas and beans and lupins and wheat (green manure).
    How do I sow the Spring planting nitrogen-fixers? Do I:
    1. Sprinkle seeds in amongst all the thick growth and then chop-and-drop?, OR
    2. Chop-and-drop first and then scatter seeds and rake them lightly, in the hope that they'll fall in amongst the chop-and-dropped stuff, down to the soil below…and germinate?
    (Or some other way?)

Attached Files:

Grace Pignatello likes this.
  2. songbird

songbird Senior Member

gardening, reading, etc
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    -15C-35C, 10cm rain/mo, clay, full sun, K-G Dfa=x=Dfb
    where are you? is it spring now? what are you planting?

different seeds may need different methods (some plants are better done in the fall, or before the rainy season, but it also depends upon how much cold weather you have and the plants you're seeding in).

soil temperature and moisture availability (some plants won't sprout well or grow if the soil is too cold or too hot and of course if there isn't enough moisture).

those considerations aside for annuals a reasonable rule of thumb is to plant them around 3 seed diameters in the ground. but when you have large areas of ground to cover i scatter the seeds a little heavier than recommended and then use a rake to disturb the ground a little so that some will be covered and have the right conditions for germination...

3. Ronnoco

Ronnoco Junior Member

Climate:
    Mediterranean
    Hi Songbird. Yes, it is Spring now, so they are the Spring-planting nitrogen-fixing annual plants (for Food Forest establishment) that I'm talking about. Do you have personal experience with using chop-and-drop with thickly sown nitrogen-fixing annuals?

My specific question is asking: what gets done first?:

Do people, who are establishing Food Forests, tend to chop-and-drop the last season's (in this case Autumn/Winter) grown stuff first, and then scatter the Spring-sowing nitrogen-fixing seeds (and rake a bit so that the seeds shake down to under the large amount of chop-and-dropped material)

OR

Do they tend to try to get the (Spring) seeds in amongst the thick, fully grown stuff first (and attempt to get the seeds to shake down to the soil, and then chop-and-drop the Autumn/Winter grown stuff (so that it falls down on top of the seeds?

4. Geoff Lawton

Geoff Lawton Administrator Staff Member

Hi Ronnoco, OK watch your Winter cover crop really carefully for dye off because of Spring warm up and when it starts to look 50% dead and dying throw our Summer cover crop evenly and THICKLY (4X the recommended agricultural density) then chop the Winter cover crop down as low as you can and hopefully it the rains with Spring rain storm. If it doesn't rain the put up a sprinkler and fully soak it, and keep doing that once you start a little every day, enough to keep the cut mulch damp until it all germinates and gets two leaves up then you are right.
    Happy cover cropping Geoff

Grace Pignatello and ArchViz like this.
  5. Ronnoco

Ronnoco Junior Member

Climate:
    Mediterranean
    Thank you Geoff! I've copied-and-pasted this answer onto the Facebook site as well, for others (Online PDC Alumni).

Grace Pignatello likes this.