mango tree

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by dreuky, Aug 29, 2015.

1. dreuky

dreuky Junior Member

Read that you can grow them & get fruit in South Aust. Anyone had any experience ? I seriously love mangos so thought I would give it a go. We have very few frosts here. Maybe 1 in the middle of winter. The trouble would be that our block is very open & flat & we do get a fair bit of wind.

2. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

I am curious about them as well. I am wondering if I can keep them small and over winter them in my greenhouse.

3. dreuky

dreuky Junior Member

As far as I know mango trees are pretty big but I guess you could bonsai a mango tree to whatever size would fit into your hot house. The only supplier that I have found in SA is rather expensive, but I think I might give it a go.

4. Diggman

Diggman Junior Member

Climate:
    Temperate, always cloudy, lots of rain (& slugs)
    Im no expert in this subject but can add in that someone I know suxessfully overwinters an ornamental citrus without even a greenhouse or polytunnel / cold frame, she just asks me to shift it under a large camelia on her terrace then out again a meter or so away in mid to late spring ... and this is in London UK! It may be a hardy variety though but still goes to show. Im pretty sure in Aus. You should have luck with mangoes :)

5. dreuky

dreuky Junior Member

From what I have learned about mango trees from the sellers (who seem very genuine) the main trouble I will have is the wind. Milang is quite windy and the block is at the moment pretty bare and open, and mango trees don't like wind. The suggestion is I try putting shade cloth around it for the first two years. Has anyway had any experiences where protecting trees from wind? I have thought I will plant citrus trees around the mango and avocado trees. They will all be little together but I thought by the time the mango and avocado out grow their shade cloth wind shelters the citrus trees will be bigger and hopefully give them some shelter. I also had some thoughts about putting up a trellis for blue berries and raspberries to grow on as wind break.

6. chook4

chook4 New Member

Climate:
    humid.Cairns. NQ. Australia

An interesting tree for windbreak..
    ELAEOCARPUS eumundii (Eumundi or Smooth Leaved Quandong)
    A highly decorative small native rainforest tree with attractive bronzy maroon new growth and broad shiny green leaves. During late spring to early summer the tree bears clusters of sweetly scented cream flowers.

HEIGHT AND SHAPE AT MATURITY
    Small Tree: 4 to 8 metres
    Columnar Shape

SPECIAL USES
    As a Street Tree
    As a Specimen
    As a Hedge
    As a Windbreak
    As a Screen
    Along Roadside
    Has Non-invasive Roots
    Power Line Friendly

CONDITIONS
    Suitable in Full Sun
    Suitable in Light Shade
    Suitable in Sandy Soil
    Suitable in Loamy Soil
    Suitable in Acidic Soil
    Is Resistant to Pollution
    Is Resistant to Coastal Exposure
    Is Resistant to Tropical Heat

- See more at: https://www.emahotrees.com.au/ELAEOCARPUS_eumundii.shtml#sthash.YlsDtC6x.dpuf

7. Terra

Terra Moderator

Plant some wattles maybe Pycnantha around it to cut the wind at my previous property post bushfire they came up like weeds planted close they run up fast , being acacia they fix N are short lived , so just remove them later .
    My previous property was named after the BB wind so they will handle that ok