Dynamic Accumulators

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by 9anda1f, May 14, 2015.

1. 9anda1f

9anda1f Administrator Staff Member

Climate:
    Semi-Arid Shrub Steppe (BsK)
  2. DC Brown

DC Brown Junior Member

Yes thanks Bill

Am really surprised the article is being shared all over, very pleased. Am working on part 2 now - the practical half, where I perform much of the analysis presented in part 1 to generate tables of accumulators and excluders for 12 major plant nutrients. Really enjoying putting it together though the data crunching was tedious to begin with.

It's become apparent this is great information for nutritionists also.

3. songbird

songbird Senior Member

gardening, reading, etc
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    -15C-35C, 10cm rain/mo, clay, full sun, K-G Dfa=x=Dfb
    it is interesting reading, thanks for putting it together. :)

4. 9anda1f

9anda1f Administrator Staff Member

Climate:
    Semi-Arid Shrub Steppe (BsK)
    I'm really surprised that a few of the plants I thought were dynamic accumulators didn't show up on the list! Such things as dandelions and comfrey ... are they truly not DAs or isn't there enough data to evaluate them?

Great article. You're doing much needed work. Do you work with John Kitsteiner directly?

(*thought this article/subject deserved it's own thread)
    = )

5. Bryant RedHawk

Bryant RedHawk Junior Member

Arkansas Senior Appraiser
    Climate:
    USDA zone 7b,8a.
    Nice research project Dean, glad someone is making the effort and here's hoping it all works wonderfully. I look forward to the next part of your article and reading the published study in the future.

6. DC Brown

DC Brown Junior Member

"I'm really surprised that a few of the plants I thought were dynamic accumulators didn't show up on the list! Such things as dandelions and comfrey ... are they truly not DAs or isn't there enough data to evaluate them?"

- As the list only included one nutrient it excluded plants that come up elsewhere with other nutrients. Some plants are ranked relatively high for more than one nutrient but none appear across the board - so far.

I also can't say if the 'currently understood to be' dynamic accumulators are in the data set. If someone could give me that list I can do a bit of proof/myth busting. The data set is great for myth busting. Still much work to be done.

"Do you work with John Kitsteiner directly?"

- I saw John's article illuminating work that needed to be done. He also provided links to so much great raw data... It's so similar a concept to the metal hyper-accumulators I'm studying... I thought I'd step up. You wouldn't of liked me so much if I disqualified the category haha. ;)

The metal-detox work is likewise - needs to be done. I'm doing this dynamic or hyper-accumulator research privately as it feels like the sort of stuff I should be doing with my education and experience. Plenty of good science to make more accessible, and myth busting to be done. I enjoy it. No idea how it pays the bills yet.

"and reading the published study in the future"

Published studies won't pay the bills at all. They don't pay authors and then charge readers exorbitantly for the one article. I see so much good stuff that never sees the light of day. Some rather indecipherable, or inaccessible to public, or just lost in the bulk of it all. Within the education/research of universities and associated sponsors 'Publish or perish' they say... Using fear to conform to a system that withholds/steers science? I love science but the current publishing system for science doesn't seem to reward scientists or serve mankind as it should.

I had an inkling this is important nutritional data so showed a nutritionist some of the stuff I'm finding/compiling and he thinks I might make a living providing and updating this sort of information for nutritionists. Not just the accumulators but excluders are of particular interest. So who knows where it will lead?

I signed up for a permaculture scholarship but I have to undertake some extensive dental work instead... Not quite so much fun. :D That smiley is me in the future with my new teeth.

Part 2 is nearly done. I introduce you to confidence intervals - a statistical 'grain of salt' to be taken with the plant-averages. :party:

7. songbird

songbird Senior Member

gardening, reading, etc
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    -15C-35C, 10cm rain/mo, clay, full sun, K-G Dfa=x=Dfb
    i thought the study that the data was coming from was only looking at vegetables and crops types of plants and not the whole gamut of plants available... seems i recall reading that in the article...

8. DC Brown

DC Brown Junior Member

The data is what is is for now, mostly cultivable species are in it but other species are there. Sample sets are used to test larger populations, the larger the sample set the more accurate the predictions you can make about the wider population while using it. This sample set is still representative of plants in general, but the average might be 'rich' in comparison to all plants... The confidence interval is how we deal with that type of thing.

9. Bryant RedHawk

Bryant RedHawk Junior Member

Arkansas Senior Appraiser
    Climate:
    USDA zone 7b,8a.
    Hi Dean, you don't have to use "scientific publishing" to get the findings out there. I gave up on that format long ago and now try to put the findings of my studies into a story, it makes it easier for the people that really use the findings (farmers and gardeners) to read and grasp the information. I do describe the methodology used and findings but I also give ways to use the findings that are practical. I've found that weaving it all into a story mode can actually mean I get paid. I still do some studies that I just put the data on certain forums as a way to get the info to the folks that will use it

10. Benjy136

Benjy136 Junior Member

STORY? STORY? I love stories. Bryant. Where may I find Yours? Things have been a little slow, so I've been off the 'puter for a couple of days. I need to jump back on my S.C. site, though. before they think I've made that big, one-way trip. My daughter lives in Magnolia, Ark. but, at our age, we "Don't Get Around Much Anymore". or I would have loved to drop in on you and sit a spell on my way to her place. She's not planting a garden this year, as it is the "seventh" year (The old law tells us to give the land a "rest" every seven years). Kind of "Land Sabbath" I noticed that my fig trees have no figs this year. They have been quite prolific for several previous seasons. I just attributed it to the severe cold we had in February, but, perhaps, my trees are more in tune with things than I am. My figs don't get the extra mulching and "natural" food the garden gets from me, though the Chooks peck and scratch and poop under them, year-round.

Well, Bryant. I've got to look up something on this beast for Willie, so so long for now.

Benjy

11. DC Brown

DC Brown Junior Member

That is good advice and food for thought Bryant. I'm finding it difficult (but never impossible) to write in a popsci manner after all the dry writing at uni. I got there and was quite the creative writer comic/poet. Now I struggle to find the middle ground. But I will.

Songbird - am not sure I understand what you'd like clarified. If I didn't cover your question please feel free to quiz me further.