Best conservation strategies? Parks, arks, boycotts, protesters?

Discussion in 'The big picture' started by Eclipse, Mar 23, 2015.

1. Eclipse

Eclipse Junior Member

Hi all,
    I'm trying to build a list of conservationist strategies and action groups. I think I might list the groups under different strategies. What's your favourite environmental organisations? What do they do, and what strategies do they use?

1. PARKS
    Do you have a favourite National Park? How can people support it? What groups help create new parks? What's the best way to organise a new park?

2. ARKS
    What about 'arks', or special zoo's and breeding programs for threatened species? (I'm thinking of the Tasmanian Devil breeding programs, but what animals and support organisations are you passionate about?)

3. BOYCOTTS?
    What about boycotts? What products do you refuse to buy because they threaten biodiversity or your favourite animals and / or ecosystems? What websites do you follow to learn more? What 'safe buying' sites are there?

4. PROTESTS & TREEHUGGING?
    Warriors: what groups have treehuggers that chain themselves to trees, lock the gates and throw away the keys to protect ecosystems against new coal mines or pipelines, etc?

5. OTHER

What other conservation strategies have I not considered? What groups represent them?

2. pebble

pebble Junior Member

Climate:
    Inland maritime/hot/dry/frosty
    Global or Australia?

3. Eclipse

Eclipse Junior Member

I'm after global, but whatever you know the most about. EG: If you're really passionate about saving the Tigers, you might not be able to do much about it in Australia but fund an organisation. I'm after both global campaigns and local concerns.

4. Topher

Topher Junior Member

Energy & Permaculture Consultant
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    Cold Temperate
    Greetings,

5 Other: Stop giving money to those who do harm. All of them, not just isolated boycotts.

There is a principle of Go, which states, 'never play near strength'. You can't win legal battles with companies because you are paying for your lawyer with your money, and the company is paying for their team of lawyers with *your* money.

Thank You Kindly,
    Topher

5. Eclipse

Eclipse Junior Member

But in this day and age of multinational corporations (like Kraft and Heinz merging this morning to become another monopolistic food provider), surely "GO" means dropping out of the system all together? I actually like cities. They capitalise on the 'law' of about 15% gains. EG: Take a town of 1000 people and another town of 1000 people, and individually those towns have the GDP of 1000 people. But merge those 2 towns and you don't get a GDP of 2000 people, you get an extra 15%, or 2300. Now imagine that rule with cities. There are efficiencies to be gained in modern, comfortable, earth-friendly New Ubanist Ecocities; efficiencies that allow more to be achieved with less, that allow walkability, that allow 15% more health and medicine and science gains and education. Physicists and economists have studied this stuff. So surely you're not saying we should all drop out? There's got to be a way to slowly reform the system itself. That's what I'm after. Industrial-strength permaculture, not scattered, isolated little villages.

6. Topher

Topher Junior Member

Energy & Permaculture Consultant
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    Cold Temperate
    Greetings,

The principle of Go, applies to both your opponents strength, but also your own. If you don't want to deal with Kraft-Heinz, don't. They will be very small soon if no one buys their products. Another Go aphorism says it doesn't matter how big your group is, if it isn't alive.

Even if your 15% is really true (and given all the externalities that are traditionally 'ignored', I would require quite some convincing), it doesn't say anything about playing near strength. Permaculture can happen in those cities. There are more acres planted in *lawn* than in the top 10 farm crops *combined*. 'Play somewhere else' doesn't refer to latitude and longitude, it means look with new eyes for opportunities that aren't being seen.

There may be a way to slowly reform the system from within, but i am not convinced we have the time. I would rather reform it quickly from without, by being obviously superior.

Thank You Kindly,
    Topher