tree lucerne plants for SA

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by dreuky, Dec 29, 2014.

1. dreuky

dreuky Junior Member

I have tried yet again to grow these buggers from seed with no success. So much for them being weeds that will take over native bush! I can't get a single seed to sprout. Tried all sorts of seed treatment and none of them have worked for me so does any one know where I can buy plants in South Australia? I have found a few interstate places on the internet that will seed plants through the post but wonder how will the plants survive. Has anyone bought plants this way and how did they go?

2. andrew curr

andrew curr Moderator

try jay at Willingra markets!

3. dreuky

dreuky Junior Member

I'll give that a try. Maybe not this Saturday as it is going to be killer hot

4. NGcomm

NGcomm Junior Member

Hi dreuky, I get my seeds from Bill Mollison via online purchase. First lot, scalded with boiling water and all that floated re-scalded till they sank. Out of 100 seeds got 92 growing. Most still growing with no water 1 1/2 years later and varied in size from a few hundred mill to over 2 meters. Good luck.

5. dreuky

dreuky Junior Member

Hi NGcomm that's a pretty good sprout rate!! I have done the scalding in boiling water before. What soil/potting mix did you us? Did you add anything special?
    cheers

6. Ronnoco

Ronnoco Junior Member

Climate:
    Mediterranean
    Hi Dreuky. Although many months after your original post, we are in (on!) Sellicks Hill (near Willunga) and have successfully propagated Tagasaste (Tree Lucerne). Lots of trees on roads nearby too (on way to Mt Compass) so reckon you could collect (their prolific!) seeds around there. Sing out if you (still) need any input re getting them sprouting.

7. dreuky

dreuky Junior Member

Thanks. I had plenty of seeds just never managed to get them to sprout. Tried many different ways all supposed to be surefire. I've pretty well given up on growing the dam things. So much for greenies saying they will "take over"

8. NGcomm

NGcomm Junior Member

A shame you have had no success as just yesterday I was standing next to one of my (now 2-3mtr) lucerne trees with it in full bloom and smiling as I listened to all the bees enjoying sampling the pollen.

9. krista

krista New Member

Yeah, Dreuky, I had the same problem - not able to get the Tagasaste seeds to sprout. I persevered, and finally managed to get a few little trees to plant out in the yard. I couldn't understand how they could be classed as weedy either - they took such an effort to get growing.
    The flowers are very attractive to bees, and my pet sheep loves the leaves. Well worth the effort I think. Keep trying.