Email for Permaculture Association WA

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by Snake, Feb 15, 2004.

1. Snake

Snake Junior Member

Does anyone know an effective email address for Permaculture WA; the one on their website does not work apparently. :O

Mark Goodman

2. alextacy

alextacy Junior Member

Hi Snake

Try Ross Mars - he has been a long time PAWA person, though PAWA has been quiet for last couple of years.

[email:wltiqto2][email protected][/email:wltiqto2]

If no luck there, try giving East Perth City Farm a call (on a monday or Friday, work-for-the-dole is T, W, Th and its hard to find the right person) 9325 7229.

best,

Alexis

3. alextacy

alextacy Junior Member

Hi Snake (again),

Just had a thought... seeing as you & trish are both up in Meeka, and if you were so inclined... there is some $$ available for community arts projects through Community Arts Network WA. You can be as lateral as you like (eg Permaculture / art project with local youth/community, etc).

Here's the details...

Just a reminder that Applications for the next round of Catalyst funding are
    due on 10th March [for projects commencing after 15th July 2004].

Catalyst funding is for projects that:
    -provide opportunities for communities to work together to plan and develop
    arts projects
    -Promote community participation in arts and culture
    -Express communities' collective identity
    -Communicate across cultures
    -Integrate arts and culture into everyday life
    -Have long term spin-offs

So it's time to think laterally about your dream project. If you need a hand
    give me a call on 9226 2422.

cheerio
    Dan McIntyre.

Just a thought anyway!! you can always think about it for the future if not now :)

take it easy...

A :D

4. vix

vix Junior Member

5. Snake

Snake Junior Member

Thanks everyone for your responses; that PAWA website is the one from which I sent the 'failed' email, but I note that the address you have included (Vix) is [email:3h2q8v6w][email protected][/email:3h2q8v6w], whereas the website has [email:3h2q8v6w][email protected][/email:3h2q8v6w] - I don't know if that is the problem but I'll check it out again.

As for the info on community projects and funding, many thanks but Karen and I are concentrating on getting a permaculture garden going at the Meekatharra School, to introduce the kids to the concepts and have a bit of fun along the way. It is not without its challenges up here, however.... but it's worth a try!

Cheers everyone!

Mark Goodman :)

6. alextacy

alextacy Junior Member

Hi Snake,

The CAN WA funding is VERY flexible, so it would be worth getting in touch with Dan. A PC project at a school that incorporates some local art with a community focus is the type of thing that they fund (eg you could tee up with a local artist to do some workshops that create art within the garden, etc). We have done similar projects with CAN WA funding at City Farm in East Perth - a garden is an art project in itself, only the materials we use are alive and dynamic. A couple of similar projects got funding for work at the Pia Wadjari community.
    The $$ can be used to raise the profile of your project in the community, hold an open day, develop materials, whatever you need really.
    - Worth a thought anyway!

You may also like to get in touch with the Environmental Technology Centre at Murdoch university - they have some good materials and resources for teaching permaculture in remote communities in WA that you could adapt for use in Meeka.

Carolyn Nutall from Qld has also written a great little book about running garden / PC projects in schools including curriculum links, etc. I can find her email address if you're interested.

All the best with the project and big respect for cranking out the PC in the desert! Next time i'm passing through i'll check it out :)

Alextacy

7. Snake

Snake Junior Member

G'day Alextacy,

We'll give the art side of it some thought - the school had quite a successful art show last year so it is definitely worth following up - I'll chase up the art teacher this week with your information - thanks.

We were hoping to use Carolyn Nuttall's book as the basis for our efforts here but the class structure of the school doesn't lend itself to that particularly; however, the school has a farm with space available and so we will modify our approach and do what we can. Carolyn's book and resource material will still be useful anyway.

If you are up this way at all, please let us know - hopefully we will have something to show you!

Regards, and thanks again,

Mark Goodman :D

8. trish

trish Junior Member

hey mark, great night the other night! i now know who you are so shall catch up when my crazy job allows me some decent time to do my own thing for a change (besides sleep)
    cheers trish