Hi from the Whitsundays :)

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself Here' started by Gabrielle, Nov 28, 2014.

1. Gabrielle

Gabrielle Junior Member

Hi everyone,

thanks for having me on board! My husband and I have recently purchased an acre of land (with house on that acre) and now really keen to get it flourishing into a beautiful oasis of natives and edibles! I am however new to permaculture and have lots to learn I'm sure. Look forward to getting to know you and filling up the knowledge bank :)

Gabby.

2. 9anda1f

9anda1f Administrator Staff Member

Climate:
    Semi-Arid Shrub Steppe (BsK)
    Hi Gabby and welcome!
    Congratulations on your new house and property ... how exciting! Have you viewed Geoff Lawton's series of Permaculture videos at https://www.geofflawton.com/sq/15449-geoff-lawton ? Many ideas and insights there to help begin your projects.

3. aroideana

aroideana Junior Member

Lots of members in Rare Fruit Australia Mackay Branch ..
    The Whitsunday Islands are a collection of continental islands of various sizes off the central coast of Queensland, Australia,
    situated between just south of Bowen and to the north of Mackay, some 900 kilometres north of Brisbane. Wikipedia

4. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

Welcome Gabrielle! I used to live in Mackay and I miss how the tropical climate sends plants leaping forth so quickly.

5. Gabrielle

Gabrielle Junior Member

Hi Bill,

No I haven't previously been to his website but thank you I am sure it will be very useful :)

6. Gabrielle

Gabrielle Junior Member

Thank you for the welcome eco 4560! It is insanely dry here at the moment, so many cassia and Poinciana trees in bloom with such intense colours at the moment though it's quite beautiful! our block used to be sugar cane, we still have about 60 acres of sugar cane surrounding us and across the road is a 100 acre or so cattle farm. Our block hasn't been sugar cane for at least 60 years but the damage is done and the soil is hard as concrete (clay soil). I have a lot of work over the next year getting the soil back to a reasonable standard!

7. Gabrielle

Gabrielle Junior Member

thanks Aroideana I will keep that in mind when we are ready to start planting! Our local landcare is just around the corner from me as well so lots of local natives on hand to plant :)

8. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

Dirt farming is a very honourable life pursuit!

9. 9anda1f

9anda1f Administrator Staff Member

Climate:
    Semi-Arid Shrub Steppe (BsK)
    WOW! I would like to live on a Whitsunday Island!!
    [​IMG]

10. Willow

Willow Junior Member

Hi Gabrielle, I am also from the Whitsunday region, Dingo Beach Rd, North Gregory in fact. I know how excited you must be with your new block of dirt. Ex cane land is easy to restore using no dig methods. If I can help at all let me know. I have plenty of food plants for taking cuttings and banana suckers if you need them.
    Cheers, Willow.

11. aroideana

aroideana Junior Member

I would rake up the cane trash after harvesting and fill the wheely bin up to cart to Mums garden in Childers .. did not take long to cover every blade of grass with mulch ..

12. Tropical Developer

Tropical Developer Junior Member

Hi Gabby

I have just joined the group and we are looking to develop our 2 1/2 acres into a more sustainable patch. We are in Woodwark/Paluma Road on what was once a cattle farm, which is now Guinea Grass. You sound like you are 6 months ahead of us, so would be interested to hear your progress and what you have found has worked best with soil rehabilitation.

Have you made contact with willow in North Gregory who posted on your intro??

Regards
    Terry