Hi from France permaculturenews

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself Here' started by aeltia, Nov 8, 2014.

1. aeltia

aeltia Junior Member

Hello,

We are Mathilde and Pierre from France on the south western coast between Bordeaux and Spanish border (the area is called "Les Landes").
    We are starting our farm after years of interest in permaculture, agro forestry, organic gardening and animal care.
    Luck happens, that's how it happened that a few months ago a rich old lord from our area offered us to take care of one of his numerous properties and create an ecologically oriented educational farm to inform about our local history, ecology and sustainable agriculture.
    Here is the location we're talking about https://goo.gl/maps/KToqX
    This is a very old farm, part of it may be from 1800's and other parts later added.
    The soil is very particular and knowed as https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Podzol, under this layer is on the other side of the road was a lake for ages that finally found his way to the ocean 200 years ago and is now a pretty wet land.
    Men planted maritime pins all over the region in the mid 18th century to dry the swamps, produce wood and pine oil. Let's say they killed most of the great biodiversity that existed back in the days but well, we know how it works.

We will grow vegetables and medicinal plants on a 2000m² area, plan on a hundred fruit trees with around 50/70 chickens, 60 sheeps, 5 pigs, 2 mules, an old forest is already planted (mostly oaks and pines), bees, a greenhouse, a building for sheeps, a rainwater collecting system with two ponds, facilities for activities, dry toilets, a nature watching tower, a workshop, a house for us and one for woofers and helpers.

This is the very short version but I can answer question and will ask many because some parts of the farm are not technically defined yet.
    The owner agreed with the investments needed, we're starting next months building.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9KRiJufG8_gaUhLZENMVXNzLWc/view?usp=sharing

This is approximately how it will look like (a few things has changed) but sorry, it's in French.

Sorry for my English, I lost it after years of not using it.

I'm happy to find a huge community like this one and will try to keep you informed (a blog about the evolution of the farm is on its way).

So, Hi everybody

2. songbird

songbird Senior Member

gardening, reading, etc
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    -15C-35C, 10cm rain/mo, clay, full sun, K-G Dfa=x=Dfb
    welcome!

what a wonderful opportunity! : ) congratulations on finding someone who owns land and is willing to let you work with them to improve it. (btw your typed English is pretty good)

3. andrew curr

andrew curr Moderator

Bonjour!!
    Looking forward to hearing all about your journey8)
    Mouton du pre sale????

4. aeltia

aeltia Junior Member

Not exactly the same area but still on the coast, 2 miles from ocean, I hope they'll have the salty something "mouton du pré salé" have.

I just wanted to post a few pictures of our farm before settling in to give you an idea about it.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

As you can see we have a lot of storage/liveable/working/dancing... space, this also means a lot of work and maintenance butmost of the buildings have been renewed recently and are good to go for 100-200 more years of intensive use.

If you happen to travel to SW France please stop by, we'll host in exchange of some help of any kind.

5. John Morrison

John Morrison Junior Member

Fantastic I could not read your plan what elements are you considering? As you are in a wet area is water catchment and hugal culture part of you plan
    Regards from Australia

6. songbird

songbird Senior Member

gardening, reading, etc
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    -15C-35C, 10cm rain/mo, clay, full sun, K-G Dfa=x=Dfb
    thank you for the pictures, nice place by the looks of it. does it freeze there in the winter?