Helens Birthday

Discussion in 'General chat' started by Terra, Oct 31, 2014.

1. Terra

Terra Moderator

:clap: Yah Happy Birthday to you dear Helen happy birthday to you .:party: :inlove:

2. helenlee

helenlee Junior Member

Thank you so much for remembering me Rob :)
    xoxoxo

Are you getting any rain down there? Man it's hot here today ... bloody hot ... & talk about dry! We're in big trouble come summer if we don't get some rain soon.

3. helenlee

helenlee Junior Member

Fifty ONE ... don't know whether to laugh or cry. Man I'm on the downhill slide now :)

4. Grasshopper

Grasshopper Senior Member

Enjoy and join the club I was 51 a few weeks back too.
    Hot here too the last few days talk of some good rain on Sunday though

5. helenlee

helenlee Junior Member

Thank you Grasshopper - & nice to know I'm not alone :)
    '63 was a pretty good year I reckon - even if a few things are starting to need a little oil these days :) ;)
    Man - I can only continue to hope we get rain SOON! The way the temperature has been we *have* to crack a storm sooner or later. They've been rumbling all around me for weeks, but nothing here :/

6. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

If I look as good as you do at 51 I'll be a happy sheila! Praying for rain here to. Everything's getting a bit crispy.
    So - how did you spend your birthday?

7. helenlee

helenlee Junior Member

Babe - god had to give me ONE thing :)

I spent the day doing as little as possible :)
    I ate toast & honey for breakfast & dinner -because I wanted to :) On white bread :) (Which I am going to pay for big time I know - but it was yummy when I ate it :) )
    I dead headed the roses.
    I watered the vege garden.
    I posted a thousand photos on the Antique Roses Forum.
    I read "Oscar & Lucinda".
    I brushed the dogs.
    I walked up to the gate when it got cooler & retrieved a card from my Mum & a gift from my son & D.I.L from the cream can.
    I actually answered the phone (instead of pulling it out of the wall).
    I responded nicely to every person who wished me a happy birthday on fb (I have been known to shut down my page the week before in order to avoid the embarrassment of the whole ordeal).
    And then I came on here & posted an add to find someone to mind my dogs & garden sometimes so I can make the occasional journey back into the (un) real world, & then I reposted the add on fb on Bellingen Tribe & Nimbin Hookups :)
    How awesome is that???
    And now after SO much dealing with reality in one day - I'm going to go have an early night. (I am 51 now, after all :) )

Thanks for being there you guys. You've been a lighthouse more times than you will ever know over the years :)
    And here's a bit of weird hippy sh!t for you :) Tonight when Rob posted on my fb page ... it came in a message thingy with a few other notifications - & I thought it read Rob Windt for a moment :) And I reckon, for that second, he was there, wishing me Happy Birthday too :) Just like old times :)

8. helenlee

helenlee Junior Member

Bloody hell - I've already had a few offers to house sit!
    Now I'm petrified!
    Perhaps that was a bit too much being a grown up in one day!
    It would be terrible if I didn't have an excuse not to go anywhere ever anymore & had to get a life!
    : )

9. Curramore1

Curramore1 Junior Member

Primary Producer
    Curramore, Blackall Range, S E Queensland, Aust.
    Climate:
    Sub-tropical to temperate 2000mm rain, elevated 350-475m
    Happy Birthday Helen, your day sounded delightful to me, very carefree and peaceful. Wishing you many more returns.

10. 9anda1f

9anda1f Administrator Staff Member

Climate:
    Semi-Arid Shrub Steppe (BsK)
    Happy Birthday Helen! Definitely laugh, some of your best years are ahead of you and you're still young. In the last nine years since I was 51 I've done some amazingly fun stuff!
    Good to see you're maybe looking to travel a bit. If you get to the states be sure to visit here!

11. songbird

songbird Senior Member

gardening, reading, etc
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    -15C-35C, 10cm rain/mo, clay, full sun, K-G Dfa=x=Dfb
    happy birthday dear Helen! *hugs* your day sounded wonderful. : )

12. helenlee

helenlee Junior Member

Thank you songbird :)
    (((hugs for you too))) :)

13. helenlee

helenlee Junior Member

Thank you dear :) It wasn't a bad day for an old girl : ) ; )

My little brother rang me from Maleny (he was working there for the day). That's up your way isn't it? He said it's nothing like I remember it from 30 years ago. His description sounded awful : ( It used to be an awesome ride on a bike through there : )

14. helenlee

helenlee Junior Member

Hello You : )
    I was hoping you'd drop by this page : )
    That's just one of the absolutely adorable things about older men - they always break out the "spring chicken" comments - & at this point in time, I'm no longer arguing : )

If I ever get brave enough to fly to the States (don't panic - there is almost zero chance I will : ) ) I wouldn't miss you for the world 9anda1f dear : )
    xox

15. Benjy136

Benjy136 Junior Member

Happy belated Birthday, Helen.
    I'm glad you're enjoying such nice warm weather. It's 32F (0C) and snowing here this morning. The Chooks probably don't remember snow from last Winter. I'll be opening their door in a bit and can't wait to see their reaction.
    Yesterday was polo shirt and today is coveralls and jacket. 9and1lf has been having this kind of weather for a while there in Washington (not DC).

Love is the answer.

Uncle Ben and
    Auntie Willie

16. 9anda1f

9anda1f Administrator Staff Member

Climate:
    Semi-Arid Shrub Steppe (BsK)
    lol, yep it's always good for our nostalgia to remember back a ways when we were young.

; )

17. Gonhar

Gonhar Junior Member

51? I remember those days. The down slope has it fun dips and turns... and may that slide down be a looooooong one!:y:

18. helenlee

helenlee Junior Member

Thank you so much for dropping by & wishing me a happy birthday my dear : )
    I have no idea how you're going ... I'll have to drop by your thread & catch up on your news.
    Snow sounds full on. I have no idea how you guys afford to heat your homes in that sort of weather - & I don't know how there are not more murders with so many people stuck inside with each other for such long periods of time : ) Not to mention the poor chooks! What on earth do chooks do when it *snows*???
    The weather is kind of weird here too. The past week has been bl@@dy hot - & now this evening I'm wearing trackie dacks & a sweater, & the mini-foxie heat seeking missile is cuddled up to me for warmth. I used to hope all the extreme weather was signalling the end of life as we know it, & a dramatic propulsion to a Mad Max II reality, but the fact of the matter is I'm getting too old to have that much fun anymore, so now I hope it's just one of those hiccups that the deniers like to pretend it is : )

And yes, more love is the answer to everything : )

H
    x

19. helenlee

helenlee Junior Member

Hmmm ... yes ... I've been negotiating a few of those dips & turns lately ... & *fun* is not the word I'd use to describe them : ) Then again, I think I'm losing my sense of adventure along with my sense of humour as I age ; )

I think the downhill slope will be a long one - the women in my family live to 100. So I have as much to go as I have behind me. Which is a terrifying thought & I have realised too late *why* it's a good idea not to knock oneself around so much when one is young. That I might need it when I was *old* never occurred to me .. or that fact that I wasn't indestructible never occurred to me anyway : )
    Thank you for dropping by my birthday page thread : ) I'll have to go & check out what you have been up to also : )

20. songbird

songbird Senior Member

gardening, reading, etc
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    -15C-35C, 10cm rain/mo, clay, full sun, K-G Dfa=x=Dfb
    when you are young you rarely think about such things as "how my body will feel in 40 years if i do this stupid thing?"

for me it was working for my dad's company at the time. first day of the job i was told to go help these guys put marble slab walls around a city hall. they'd done it many times before. they were taking a slab off a flatbed semi trailer, using a tall narrow cart with an electric motor on it. the physics were all wrong and i said that if they did what they were planning on doing the cart would fall over. sure enough, they ignored the stupid kid. turned on the motor. cart falls over, guy on top operating the motor is tossed out into the road in front of traffic (luckily moving slow enough to stop in time). me, i'm stupidly trying to hold the cart up, which comes down across my knee and takes a chunk of skin off (if i'd not been falling backwards it would have crushed it), i still have a spot on that knee which has no feeling, but it works. the slab comes sliding down off the truck and bangs on the cement sidewalk, luckily it lands square and suffers no damage.

in between, a few accidents hauling stuff which twisted my back badly...

four summers later, my last day on the job, i have to take a truckload of tile, cement, and more stuff to a five story building, they've removed the outside construction elevators, the inside ones aren't working yet and everyone is gone (it was an afternoon on a friday), oh yeah, i have to take all this stuff to each bathroom in the place. up and down stairs for the next six hours, but i got it done (50-120lbs at a shot). as usual, by the end of summer i was in great shape, but the beginnings of summer were always tough because i was back to my bookish ways during the school season.

said goodbye to that line of work without too many tears in my eyes that is for sure.

later on, too much of a desk job, slipping on icy stairs and a motorcycle wipeout have added up, but hey, i can still move, chiropractor and massage therapy, thank goodness, physical therapy and tai chi also played important parts in keeping me going. now it is gardening and shoveling snow...

i figure that as long as i can crawl i can garden, so i'm not too worried about the future, as i can always bring along a magnifying glass and check out the critters on the ground as i go.

yesterday i spent a while watching a redtail hawk hovering and hunting, the wind speed and direction were perfect for it to just hover in place without having to do much flapping of the wings and then it would see/hear something in the field and plummet. we've been calling this bird "Big Bird" since it visited us a few years ago, we don't really know if it is the same bird or not, but it's a nice story. : )