Grass roots Biochar Culture Webinar and free ebook on Biochar

Discussion in 'Designing, building, making and powering your life' started by bazman, Oct 31, 2014.

1. bazman

bazman Junior Member

Hi All I was asked to pass on this webinar and a link to a free ebook/pdf on Biochar https://goo.gl/MlqzDZ

I have already voiced some issues with the section on biochar production and the lack well design emission systems. I have offered my help to create some better systems. =)

Webinar Speaker Dr Sai Bhaskar Reddy Nakka, Geoecology Energy Organisation (GEO)

Date and Time November 4, 2014 1330 GMT :: 1900 Indian time. For those in AU it's going to start at 12-1am =(
    How to attend 1) Go to https://metameta.adobeconnect.com/biochar/
    2) Choose the option 'Enter as Guest'
    3) Enter a Screen Name and click 'Enter'
    4) That's it! You can now see/hear the speaker, follow the presentation and put forward your questions and comments through the chat window.

Description: ‘ Biochar’ is charcoal used for particular purposes, especially as an addition to the soil to enhance its fertility. At the centre of ‘Biocharculture’ lies the application of biochar in the management of soil, livestock, biomass energy, water purification, sanitation, etc. It is therefore a holistic approach; a sustainable relationship with nature. Biocharculture draws its sustainability from certain properties of biochar: the fact that its use is essentially a reuse of a by product of combustion; its capacity to sequester carbon when added to soil; its ability to trap nutrients as a soil additive; and its antibacterial properties. A surge of enthusiasm around biochar’s potential has attracted much commercial interest. However, the idea of large-scale biochar production has come under criticism by many, who accuse such enterprises of “destroying the biosphere in order to save it.” In his recent book on biochar ’Biocharculture - for Environment and Development’, Dr. Sai Bhaskar Reddy emphasizes that the optimal function of biochar is as part of a broader culture of sustainability. Viewing it as a magic substance that can be applied to soil and reverse climate change would be a mistake. But letting its potential underutilized would be a missed opportunity as well. In this webinar, Dr Reddy will discusses these ideas in context of his experiences working with rural communities in India as an entrepreneur and development consultant.

For more information and a count down clock visit https://www.thewaterchannel.tv/produce/webinars/299-webinar-17-biocharculture

2. S.O.P

S.O.P Moderator

197 pages! Can you give me an abridged version!?

3. bazman

bazman Junior Member

To tell you the truth I have not read over the entire thing either, focused on the low tech biochar makers section which I commented back to the author about. But from the quick read so far, the research they have been doing in Rural India has been positive. Many of the things I have been doing here, they have also been doing so I think they are generally going in the right direction. They just need to improve/reduce the emissions on the biochar makers.