Agriculture Green Paper and Dams?

Discussion in 'News from around the damp planet' started by Grahame, Oct 20, 2014.

1. Grahame

Grahame Senior Member

Any Comments?

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-10-20/nrn-ag-green-paper/5825626

2. Grasshopper

Grasshopper Senior Member

Interesting that there is no mention of climate change or Peak oil/energy costs the biggest problems facing the business as usual fantasy.
    Interesting that the farmers in Bundaberg while flooded out for a few years in a row now facing water shortages are resorting to irrigation due to a dryer year and cant afford the electricity to run the pumps.
    https://www.news-mail.com.au/news/prices-threat-irrigation/2399470/

3. Grahame

Grahame Senior Member

4. andrew curr

andrew curr Moderator

The Big dams /small penis thing is a wierd one (They think it will help)
    back in the early 1950's when they were building the snowey mtn scheme there was a notable dissenter in the name of PA Youmans!
    He explained how it wouldn't work in solid economic rational terms (with backing from major banks) one of his major issues were the future beaurocracys that would have to oversee the water infrastructure and delivery would cost too much compared to landsmen doing it themselves!
    I think it is ironic that in my electorate held by the ag minister Barnaby Joyce we have the largest demonstration of A keyline designed farm in the nation yneret he still wants to go down the big dam path!(Im sure he thinks it will help) Joycey said on radio if its not on the white paper already it wont be considered1
    Pelena energy one of the countrys leading micro hydro is also located in New England!

The energy figures of the big dam thing do seem very glamourous Eg The three rivers dam in China estimates it will save 500000000 tonnes of coal anually(seems a lot)

5. permasculptor

permasculptor Junior Member

The devil is in the detail as usual - Green Paper on competitiveness in agriculture- If you expected better or are disappointed your expectations were misled. You cant win by their rules , not in the short term. Replace them, make them redundant. Expose them.

6. Grahame

Grahame Senior Member

I expect nothing more than the usual tripe Sculptor ;) . But, I am still constantly baffled and bewildered by the levels of ignorance in the 'business as usual' approach.

It's not a nice thought to imagine that my ideology might be as blind and ignorant as the major political ones, but I suppose it is. I do my best to remain pragmatic but some of the dross they come out with almost demands a brutal attack...

In the end I doubt these things will go anywhere anyway. If you've watched Utopia and had the 'benefit' of having worked in the public service you will know it to be more realism than satire.

7. permasculptor

And tripe is what you will receive. These people do not have your grasp of the bigger picture Graham, which transforms your ideology from blind and ignorant to caring and sustainable. Their game is one of fear and reaction, ours is of love and action. You know that.
    I hope to have transcended the baffled stage it has proven too costly on my sensibility. Abbott has ensured I take all government propaganda with a grain of salt.

8. 9anda1f

9anda1f Administrator Staff Member

Climate:
    Semi-Arid Shrub Steppe (BsK)
    I also keyed on the word "competitiveness" as being the antithesis of cooperation. EVERYTHING is about competition which promotes the us-versus-them mentality, fosters divisiveness, and promotes unethical behaviors.
    I read a blog recently (John Michael Greer) where historically, in times of plenty and expansion competitiveness is forefront but during times of shortage and contraction cooperation becomes the norm.
    I'm hoping to see a basic shift towards cooperation coming along shortly!

9. permasculptor

Me too but it is going to require a lot more than hope. The Minister knows it too-

So the question that follows is why did he commit himself and the rest of us to constraints of a competitive agenda the answer keeps coming back to HE IS OWNED BY THE SYSTEM you can get a feel for this in the sentence that follows-(fine detail in red)

so instead of stating fact and implementing law he cooperates with the people who will compete. Cooperation is a two way street. he is forced to cooperate in a one way street in the direction of the arrow.the best outcome I can expect is where he sets the stage for a later attempt at change, which is better than nothing but nowhere near my desire that he has the power to implement law that changes the game toward sustainable(not economically sustainable ECOLOGICALLY SUSTAINABLE) development(or de-development) NOW.

10. jack.son

jack.son New Member

Queensland dams may have dominated the shortlist of water projects eligible for further feasibility funding, but many believe the release of the Agricultural Competitiveness Green Paper raises more questions than it answers about water security.