"... we have destroyed the essence of humanity: our connectedness."

Discussion in 'News from around the damp planet' started by helenlee, Oct 17, 2014.

1. helenlee

helenlee Junior Member

2. mischief

mischief Senior Member

s/e
    Climate:
    Cool mountain
    " The age of loneliness".....thats sad, but I think quite true.
    I've always been a bit of a loner and am quite happy having alot of alone time, but even I get out for a bit of socializing and talk to my neighbours.
    Can we start a campaign.....smile at ten strangers every day and say hello?

3. Grahame

Grahame Senior Member

Yeah, now that we live in an Economy instead of a Society we are no longer know as people, we are the 'Human resource'...

4. songbird

songbird Senior Member

gardening, reading, etc
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    -15C-35C, 10cm rain/mo, clay, full sun, K-G Dfa=x=Dfb
    i don't see too many people most days, other than those going by on the road, if we go out for a walk i'll wave at people going by, but i generally do not know who they are or can rarely see who they are through the reflection on the window of the car. in the older days, if someone came along the road, on a horse or walking you probably knew who they were...

so perhaps the automobile and the illusion of privacy in a public space is a part of that beginning to transform into pod-people?

my own personality is happy with stability and my list of things to do which usually does not include going beyond the end of the property. i get a certain amount of angst when i go out, even to places i know. it's not that i can't do it but that i don't like it. i suspect it has a lot to do with having moved at a young age. i lived in the cupboard for months with the pots and pans, Ma asked a psychologist what to do and he was a wise man who said, "he'll come out when he wants." and that was the end of it. even years later i found comfort in living in a tiny attic. so the idea of living in a small space does not bother me. but here's the fun part, put another person in that small space and it won't be long before i'm climbing the walls. i'm territorial too i guess. :)

so as for close friends, most are at a distance, not that i like it, but it seems just how it works out, being the youngest of four and the two parents rather unstable i think i just ended up a watcher out of self-defense and that stance will keep almost anyone away, no matter how much i might like a hug, rub or roll in the hay... oh well... things go on.

dunno, just kicking ideas around a bit...