How can I achieve my dream ?

Discussion in 'Designing, building, making and powering your life' started by LocalRawganics, Aug 13, 2014.

1. LocalRawganics

LocalRawganics New Member

Hi everyone,

My name is Jake, I just turned 17 and I currently live in Toronto, Canada.

To begin, I apologize in advanced if this is the incorrect place to be posting this.

I will start by offering some background on myself. I have grown up and lived in the city, in Toronto all my life and recently discovered agriculture, organics, natural remedies, etc. I only discovered these valuable and life-changing things last year, when I went to Northern California to live with my Uncle (to "escape" foster care which I put myself in to leave my father). I started working at farmers markets when I was there, helping out in gardens to learn, working on small farms, and meeting and talking to very interesting people. Very sadly, I only discovered permaculture and truly put my words into actions when I left California. By this I mean, my interest and passion in organic agriculture was so much I put almost all of my money at that time ($700) -- having been buying my own food since almost 12 ; and recently spending the extra on organic food because that is what I want to support and for its health benefits -- on a course by Gaia College / Society for Organic Urban Land Care (which is associated with Oregon Tilth and others). Basically these course(s) that I am taking look to certify the person instead of the land, so essentially I could potentially become a SOUL certified organic farmer. The course taught me a ton on the science of agricluture, permaculture, etc. The course was essentially a course on permaculture, which I didn't know until recently. Fascinated by it all, having worked on biodynamic, organic farms and dreaming to be an organic farmer; my dream is now to be a permaculture (organic) farmer.

I do what I possibly can to support permaculture and organics by buying organic, local food from my friends (farmers Ive worked for --- but NONE I have met are into permaculture), working for the farmers, starting my own vermicompost, organic landscaping as a full time summer job and parttime school year job, and more. Anyways, I am on my last year of high school, which I plan to finish (I get good grades -- without studying or any of that) but am not sure what next.

Essentially, I am wondering what to do. My dream is to own some land; homesteading, forest farm, build community, eventually hope to teach others, raise chickens and sheep and perhaps other livestock and more. I don't know how to get there though !

Due to my working hard towards becoming more knowledgable in organic land care and so forth, I currently work cash jobs (with a formal organic landscaping job pending -- interview next week) for $13 an hour for clients around the city. I have gotten many into, and built, composting and share valuable knowledge and skills with others. Recently I have sort of realized, I don't think I can possibly fulfill my dream of owning some land farming working $13 and hour. I have recently though maybe I should start my own business selling vermicompost, juicing local organic produce at farmers markets, sprouted nuts, etc. to support the movement and inform people about permaculture through handouts at my stand and stuff.

Anyways, I am basically asking anyone and everyone to please help me ! My dream is to "farm naturally" hopefully own the land, live off-the-grid , have community and so forth but I have no idea which route or direction to go. I must say though, I feel like time is running out. Everyday I am living in the city, the toxins overwhelm me , I have been pretty depressed not having a home (living in a really shitty grouphome -- to again, escape my father's abuse), and as a result have been pretty disassociated for the past few weeks. Anyways I am not sure why I mention this, but in any case, please offer me some tools, advice, critism, and anything that will help me fulfill my goal. Part of my wanted to WOOFF all summer, but then I realized I want to make money (which I did on a farm for a bit -- but the grouphome forced me back to the city) in order to help fulfil my goal. As a side note, I am not some crazy, lazy kid wanting to sit around on my ass and watch nature. I simply want a safe environment which will allow me to put my principles into practice, feel good, connect with others including nature, work hard towards and on somthing I enjoy and support (an organic sustainable lifestyle), etc.

Again, I want to be a permaculture farmer -- selling fresh produce to start, and eventually would love to teach permaculture, teach classes on stuff such as wildcrafting, making tinctures, and anything to do with homesteading, herbs, permaculture, sustainable lifestyle, land care, etc.

How do I get there?

By the way, when I recently started watching Paul's youtube videos, I get this massive urge and excitement to "WOOFF" on people like Brian & Skeeter's farms to learn and live my ideal way. Would this even be possible do you think?

PS. Recently I have been feeling like crap thinking that my dream is unachievable -- to somehow own land with chickens, etc. working $13 an hour. I have been recently asking myself, when will this struggle end, and a new beginning of my ideal lifestyle sprout.

Hopefully this all makes sense. Please let me know if you would like anymore information on anything from my living situation, work, why I left California (financial, legal status, family hectic stuff), and so forth.

I guarantee any / all responses will be unimaginably helpful and appreciated. You will be doing me an amazing service. Please know that you will be (without being too dramatic -- this is how it feels) saving a 17 year old kid and helping him fulfill his dream.

Jake

2. chook-in-eire

chook-in-eire Junior Member

Jake, you have been on quite some journey already in your young life and kudoz to you! I am too far away (in Europe) to help you in any direct way except to say "Chance favours the prepared mind". You are prepared and I am sure something will come you way soon enough. Posting here is good, plenty readers. Have you looked at the map at permacultureglobal to see if there are any more permaculture practitioners near you? There are lots of PC folk on Facebook in various groups (Permaculture, Regrarians, Edible Forest Gardens etc.) - that's another way to connect. WWOOFing is a great way to learn - highly recommended. I did a good bit of that when I was young, as well as a full year on a mixed organic farm as an intern when I was 19 (60-70 hrs/week for room & full board and pocket money - but I learned so much, and not just about farming). That kind of work probably won't make you any money but it'll help you flesh out your plans - sort out the desirable from the undesirable, the realistic from the unrealistic. It'll also forge connections that can lead to opportunities. You sound like a great kid and I'm sure you'll get there.

3. Terra

Terra Moderator

Good on you Jake

Now im typically "outside the square" as im sure a lot of people in this part of the world are so what I suggest is food for thought rather than advice .

First take a breath and sigh , you are very young you have TIME and TIME in abundance .

So do the learning and networking via Woofing ect this will give you somewhere to live .

Get a vehicle you can "Live" in when you have to , lots cheaper than maintaining a house perhaps a Van with a caravan annex .

Buying a farm hmmmmmmmm its getting pretty hard to hang onto the ones we have let alone buying one .

To make money farming is difficult , ive been on the land 55yrs everything is against you , weather , prices , government , we sell at wholesale and pay retail and freight both ways on everything , the list would go on for a hundred pages .

You need to have a premium market that no one can poach off you really close to maximise return and minimise waste , so position position position .

I know of a bloke in the US that sells heritage tomatoes direct to customers and doing very well , it doesn't matter that they are ugly shapes as they are cut up to make salads and sauces , big thing here is VERY LITTLE WASTE , and there value is much more than "Organic value"

All this can happen down the track just understand its out of reach as a teenager , look at buying a place when your 30 with a big slab of a deposit and all the skills to succeed , not just food growing skills you will need very sound business administration and be very clever to succeed .

Now back doors into farming .

Marry into the industry , sorry 8) ;) :p probably easier for sheilas but not out of the equation, move to a rural area and get involved in the community.

Get really really good at sport move to a rural area and get involved in the community .

Now these back doors have worked since time began so use them , don't be too radical , be honest , respect is hard to earn but very very very easy to lose .

Ok that's enough rubbish from me.

Good luck

4. LocalRawganics

Hi there! Sorry for the late response!

There are a few permies in toronto, which I will be getting involved with. But honestly, I am finding my real issue to be my mental space due to my reality of living sutation. My plan is to finish high school and then intern. Thats the plan though, develop skills and knowledge, meet and connect with others, attend workshops and courses and figure out what will work best and plan how to achieve my goal.

Thanks, I appreciate the kind words!!

5. LocalRawganics

Hi Terra,

thanks alot. That breath and sigh felt great! :) I realize I am young, but that doesnt seem to help my living situation in any way. Im surrounded by a bunch of "thugs" my age, pregnant 15 year old girls in the home and government workers who dont care about us and (well before I came) just, with a huge lack of sympathy and empathy, thought of us all as "teenagers". We are seen as just "fucked up teenagers who disobeyed there parents". Not sure why I mention this, but if anyone wants to truly make a change, just stop hitting your damn kids, yelling at them, aggressing them, be honest and love them. Without good parenting, things will NEVER change positively, that I am convinced about and there are sutdies to back that up.

In any case, my plan in to finish high school and then WWOOF / intern on a forest farm. I dont have a license yet. Got to wait a year before I can take my G2 test.

I am not trying to make money farming, I want to live a lifestyle that suits, pleases and is comfortable with me and work hard towards somthing I support, can cherish, feel safe in, etc.

Thanks for the advice, I agree 100% with the respect and honesty. Its not even about who you know, its about how you know them. (whether it is a positive relationship or not).

Anyways my plan is to work, gain all skills, meet people, and save up. But for the time being just working and finishing high school .

Thanks for the response and support.

Jake

6. webgott3

webgott3 New Member

Hi Jake,

You sound like an ambitious young man with great plans and good intentions.

I second the "finish high school and then go WWOOFing" idea. When are you done with high school? Do you have US and/or Canadian citizenship? Then WWOOFing in NSW and/or Tasmania for a year or two after high school would probably get you good additional experience not only in terms of knowledge, but also culture.

As for buying a farm, there may be some suitable alternatives to saving huge amounts of money. Build on what you have to offer: Time, energy, hard work - then match it with someone who has money/resources and similar intentions, but not time/energy. The perfect opportunity may not exist yet, but it will at some point.

7. TLP

TLP Junior Member

Seems like the first thing you need to do is get out of the environment you are in, I been there at your age.
    Questions,

1. What is the land market there like as far as supply and demand?
    2. What building code are being enforced, or is there a rural area close to where you work without them?
    3. What natural building products are in the area, such as straw can you check into small bale cost 16” x 18” x 24” ?
    4. What type of soil dominates the area where there are potential land for sale. Do you know how to do a soil test to determine the amount of clay, sand, silt?
    5. Do you have friends that are reliable that would help you build a house in exchange for your labor to build one or something else of value you can offer?
    6. How much money per month do you have that can go to building your own home? I can show you natural ways where the materials can be very inexpensive but the labor will be high, you will need help to get it done in a timely manner.

8. bazman

bazman Junior Member

You might try looking into land share or plot sharing. Try contacting some local (organic/fruit tree/food/permaculture) gardening clubs with the question of finding a local space to grow your own and maybe sell a bit of the excess. I have found most organic food gardeners open to helping and sharing know how and maybe you might fall on your feet. Some older retired food gardeners may have issues up keeping garden plots so this may give you access to a nice space to learn. The older gardener will in general be full of knowledge and happy to share. Good luck, you sound like you will fall soundly on your feet. Baz

9. bluesapphire

bluesapphire Junior Member

Hang in there Jake you have great plans for your life. WOOFING in Australia is a very real way to work your way around the country. If you are ever able to get here through this site there will be plenty of people who will share their knowledge and their homes. I am in Longreach out bush in Queensland always have a spare room for a fellow permie.
    cathy